do med schools confirm work history?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtorres

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
back in the spring '03 i took a job as a 7th grade science teacher. i only worked that spring semester and it as not a pleasant experience. the job itself was not the problem but rather the principals themselves. to make a long story short i submitted my resignation before the semester was done (i did finish out the semester though) but the principal considered it me quiting. it was just a difference in personalities but it is one experience that i consider an important but sad chapter of my life. i know that if someone were to inquire about my employment the principal would give me a negative mark. i know that i have to state this employment on my app. but will it come back to bite me in the tail?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I dont see anything wrong with leaving something you did OFF an app. I see something wrong with ADDING something you DIDNT do. There were a whole bunch of minor service things I did that I didnt bother to include b/c I felt they were too trivial to matter.

Anyone else feel the same way?

And no, I dont think they check up on employment regularly. It would be too time consuming. A school I applied to DID contact one of my rec. writers to confirm its authenticity though.

Members don't see this ad :)
they do a thorough background check on you before you get to matriculate so they might find out anyway...

its really not gonna matter about you leaving your job. that happens all the time in the professional world. your situation is not a basis to rescind any acceptance.

Originally posted by BoulderLABrat
why, was it too glowing?

actually, yes. The school didnt believe it was real (it was).

So yes, EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATIONS MATTER!

i did know one teacher that stated flat out that if he didn't like a student he would write a bad recommendation. a student asked him to write a letter and he said to the student, 'do u really want me to do it'. well the student said yes. he wrote him a crappy letter. luckily the student got in because his father was a faculty member.

congrats on your glowing letter of recomendation

I taught for two years a long time ago and I left in February of the first year for similar reasons the OP stated. It was my first professional job and sadly, I learned that the outside world is not like what I read about in my textbooks. The principal at the school didn't like my giving out low grades to students who had failed and said that it was a private school where parents paid alot of money in tuition and they expected good grades as a result. He changed my grades from a couple F's and D's to A's and B's. These kids did not know the material from a fly on a hotdog.

I put down the correct dates on my amcas, and one school asked me about it; I tried to be as honest as I could and said that it was not a good fit and I didn't feel comfortable with their very creative curriculum, I was more traditional, etc. Nothing negative.

These things definitely happen in the professional world and people understand - you just need to put a good spin on it without criticizing the other party.

Originally posted by jlee9531
they do a thorough background check on you before you get to matriculate so they might find out anyway...

its really not gonna matter about you leaving your job. that happens all the time in the professional world. your situation is not a basis to rescind any acceptance.

a background check is only going to reveal felonies/etc. The only way to verify employment(and some MBA Schools do it) is to call Human Resources/persons to ask.

i had like 4 night jobs i never put down on AMCAS or secondaries. i don't see why a school would even care so long as criminal conduct was never an issue. i don't remember them asking for every job. i think you would have to access tax or workers comp records to find a job someone worked.

OMG, I've had probably 30 irrelevant jobs in my life that i didn't list on AMCAS. Lessee, should i put down the catering hall guy that fired me on my first night? that delivery man gig?? Busboy?