Do Med schools frown upon BA vs BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BDNF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools frown upon people who do BA's rather than BS's in chemistry? or biology?

Does it show less commitment?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't change the requirements for the major. I got a BA (in math) because at my school it emphasized more foreign language stuff instead of computer stuff.

No. Not all applicants are bio/chem/science majors... but the upper level science can help. The only thing that matters is bio/physics/chem/orgo. As long as you do well in these courses and do well on the MCAT you should have no problem in matriculating. I would say the most contributing factor is the MCAT, because that workload/time required to study for the MCAT is the most realistic for medical school. My friend is an english major, she has a 4.0 and got into the 7 year program at my school, so don't worry.

c.s.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine it hurting you. You might be asked about why it's a BA instead of a BS in an interview at most.

Yeah, you're good. No worries - the B.A. is fine.

No.

Some colleges only offer BA's in science. Others have only BS's. Some offer both with different requirements.

Adcoms have neither the motivation nor the time to figure out the rules for each school.

I don't think whether they care is an issue: they won't even see/notice it.:)

BA is fine. I'm getting a BA in Chemistry. When questioned about it, I just told them the reason I wanted a BA: a more well-rounded education in the humanities and sciences, and the ability to speak a foreign language.

It shouldn't hurt. At my school they used to let people choose between a BS and a BA. The only difference was that you had to complete a language requirement for a BA. Now everyone has to complete the language requirement so they only give BA's. It never came up in my interviews.

To get my BS in bio, I would have been required to take a semester of p-chem and C++. Screw that. I got my BA and had more time for research, hanging out and enjoying life, taking random fun classes, etc. Getting your BA is fine.

BA is fine. I'm getting a BA in Chemistry. When questioned about it, I just told them the reason I wanted a BA: a more well-rounded education in the humanities and sciences, and the ability to speak a foreign language.

Thanks, thats my reasons for considering it.

I can't imagine it hurting you. You might be asked about why it's a BA instead of a BS in an interview at most.

Some schools (like Cornell) only give out one degree depending on which undergrad college you are in. Chem majors in Arts & Science college get a B.A. and complete the same major requirements as Chem majors in Ag & Life Science college who get a B.S. The converse of this is that Econ/business majors in the Ag college also get a B.S....so yeah, I don't think they put much emphasis BA/BS because the differences (if any) between the two vary greatly from ugrad school to school.

it doesn't matter. Just have a high GPA no matter what your degree or major is. You're fine.