Do med schools take religion/family nationality into account?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PopeKnope23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was born in the US, but I am a Muslim and 100% Syrian. My parents immigrated here shortly before I was born. I know Middle Eastern = white, so will I need to come right out and say I am a Syrian-American for med schools to know? Would they even care?

Members don't see this ad.

can you argue that Syrians are underrepresented in healthcare and you want to address that need? Or has being a Muslim/syrian put you at a significant disadvantage in life or education?

can you argue that Syrians are underrepresented in healthcare and you want to address that need? Or has being a Muslim/syrian put you at a significant disadvantage in life or education?
Well, actually, from experience syrians are not all that underrepresented in healthcare. My father is a doctor, and almost everyone he went to medical school with in Damascus came to the United States. I was thinking of talking about how my grandparents and cousins are refugees, and how they are at a significant disadvantage. I visited them in Jordan this past year, and seeing their life makes me want to help them and others throughout the world, refugee or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like there may be a really common secondary essay topic where you could share this

Reactions: 1 user
I was born in the US, but I am a Muslim and 100% Syrian. My parents immigrated here shortly before I was born. I know Middle Eastern = white, so will I need to come right out and say I am a Syrian-American for med schools to know? Would they even care?
Despite the best efforts of Der Trumppenfuhrer to stigmatize Muslims, you will be welcome at any US med school except Loma Linda.

Reactions: 5 users
Despite the best efforts of Der Trumppenfuhrer to stigmatize Muslims, you will be welcome at any US med school except Loma Linda.
hahahaaha :laugh: nice one. I'm glad to hear that, thank you!

if you have a compelling narrative for your primary or secondaries by all means use it. If you feel that being first generation American Muslim growing up in a post 9/11 world made you disadvantaged....use it.

My religion was a big part of my applications (because many of my activities were religiously oriented) and it seemed to be a big help for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's avoid thread hijacks, OK? Post in the SPF if your emotions are riled up.

Trump isn't trying to stigmatize Muslims. He is trying to protect American citizens, including Muslim American citizens. He is actually putting US first instead of making us a dumping ground for the world's problems. The countries with the travel ban happen to be mostly Muslim and that probably isn't a coincidence given the correlation with Muslim and terrorism. That doesn't mean all Muslims are terrorists. Refreshing to have a president acknowledge reality instead of one calling ISIS the JV team.

Do you want the US to allow millions of these refugees so we can have weekly or monthly terrorist attacks? Coming to this country is a privilege and not a right!!

Let's keep this thread from falling apart, please.