do med students get paid/have time for moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundermed

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine currently in medical school mentioned during residencies, if a med student is in a certain speciality, he can moonlight and pick up extra money after the 80+ hours residency work has been done.

Is this true, I thought it was impossible to moonlight nowadays with the new med school residency rules?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're confusing medical school and residency. Medical students don't moonlight, in fact they pay for the ability to see patients. Residents, people who have graduated from medical school, get paid to do residency and also have the possibility to moonlight on their free time.

From what I understand, many programs don't allow their residents to moonlight. It's highly dependent. From the time aspect, many residents used to work 100+ hours a week before the work hour restrictions. So... Moonlighting after 80 is survivable, I guess. Haha.

pepper your angus

Members don't see this ad :)
Med students can't make money moonlighting, only some residents can do that.

If you hit the 80 hour limit working for your residency program, you're not supposed to go somewhere else and work even more on top of that. The reason for this should be obvious. The idea behind the work hour limits is that exhausted residents make mistakes - it doesn't matter much whether they're exhausted from working for their program or from moonlighting.

Not all residencies work you to the 80 hour limit.

Thundermed,

As mentioned above, I think you're a little confused about the exact steps of the medical education process. My blog (linked below) has a section called "The Pathway Series" that explains each step of the process in detail. You should check it out I wrote it just for people like you that need help getting acquainted with the process.

Survivor DO

You obviously are not asking the question you mean to ask, but regardless: some medical students have prior certifications, often as EMTs, paramedics, nurses, or pharmacists, and they do moonlight during medical school. Some students will also continue jobs they had which aren't medical related, such as front-desk office staff, SAT tutoring, etc. which they can do on weekends and usually get some studying done.

Oh god I wish we got paid, especially for calling radiology and making copies

Last edited:
Residents are medical students. Students used to be able to moonlight. They stopped doing so a few years back after bad stuff happened...

http://www.dallasnews.com/investiga...nts-in-parkland-psych-er-raises-questions.ece

Residents are residents. Medical students are medical students.

Residents used to be medical students, but then they became residents. Medical students used to be college students, but then they became medical students.

PM me if you have any questions, concerns, or headaches that may arise from this world-shattering information.

Residents are doctors since they have the MD or DO, although we might not feel like it for awhile =).

Like people have said, moonlighting is dependent on your residency programs. I don't think any place will take residents until after they complete at least their internship. At my fam med program (Harbor-UCLA) only third years are allowed to moon-light.

Hope that helps.

Jack
unfailingspring.com

I learned a lot of relevant clinical anatomy and physiology from Dr. Khyber Zaffarkhan on 1000 Ways to Die. :naughty:

It was definitely more relevant than what I was learning in my classes. :laugh: I believe like others mentioned, he probably did this as a resident.

I would suggest against moonlighting since you already have enough on your plate s a medical student. I am sure you can do certain things, like use certs if you have the time, but it might be better spent actually enjoying yourself.

There is a hospital in town that offers paid ED externships for 3rd and 4th year med students. I know some people who do it. 10-15 bucks an hour, not super lucrative, but it's a job and flexible.

Varies by program obviously, but EM and IM residents seem to do the most moonlighting from what I've seen. EM residents seem to garner a pretty decent check from the more rural hospitals that need a doc to cover the night.

Also, in my brief talkings to a couple of EM residents, many of them wait until mid 2nd year of the residency when they feel like they would be competent enough to handle your common ED complaints.

There seems to be a lot of opportunity for psychiatry residents to moonlight as well.

Survivor DO

Considering that you actually claim to be a medical student, I'm struggling to find a plausible explanation for your confusion about this.

A resident can still be thought of as a student of medicine; although they are not a medical student. I'm assuming that's what s/he meant by that.