Do medical schools accept overweight or obese people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omare61

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, So I am an overweight guy. 205 pounds. My BMI is like 28!
Will this be unfavorable to medical school interviewers?

I have always had a weight problem in my life. I do not think there was a time when I was in decent shape. That weight is very very difficult to lose.

This Question has been asked on SDN two times and the answer that I keep getting was "yes". I'm not trolling or anything, I'm actually very serious and worried.

My general question is: Is attractiveness/appearance/weight a factor in the acceptance process?

If so, should you wear make-up, those things that make your stomach and thighs look smaller and 'not be yourself' to ace the interview?

Whenever I look at medical students I notice NONE are even slightly overweight. Has anyone else noticed this?

You cannot deny that most applicants that go to medical school are obese (30% of America have a BMI >30). And I do not think that overweight people themselves are too lazy to apply to medical school or too lazy to be a doctor. Do you think medical school applicants are too smart and self-conscious about their weight and adcoms need to make sure that you are going to be a healthy doctor-leading by example.

I think doctors should lead by example, and they should not be obese. If patients see you as being obese, they will follow in your path.

I think I am going to be anorexic LOL! Is this a good way to motivate my weight loss process? Because man, I could get very desperate when it comes to medical school admissions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This Question has been asked on SDN two times and the answer that I keep getting was "yes". I'm not trolling or anything, I'm actually very serious and worried.

Then why did you make a new thread to ask? The answer is absolutely YES. If you're worried about this affecting your chances, then I suggest you do something about it. Lose weight, wear appropriately fitted clothing, and just make yourself look professional. The rest is in their hands.

Essentially the same question was just asked in another thread about the chances that ugly people face when applying to medical school. Personally, I think that good looking (or slim) people only have an advantage because they are inherently more confident in themselves and have a better self-image, which allows them to come off as more sociable and well-adjusted in interviews. Adcoms don't judge you on looks or weight directly, period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear god I see a new thread asking this question literally 3 times a week.

Man, SDN is feeling very self-conscious today.

Not to mention it was asked tice just today..

:( sorry, How do I delete it?

I guess I just wanted some insight on how much attractiveness and weight factors into the admissions process. I wanted more insight on the subject. It seems ugly and unjust.

If you feel uncomfortable about your weight then do something about it for yourself--dont do it for a judgemental/superficial ******* (which we all are) whose concern is surface and not depth.

How overweight? I'm sure they let obese people in, but they probably shouldn't. Nothing gives the wrong message than a doctor with one of America's most avoidable, expensive and debilitating health conditions.

How overweight? I'm sure they let obese people in, but they probably shouldn't. Nothing gives the wrong message than a doctor with one of America's most avoidable, expensive and debilitating health conditions.

He said he weighed 205 with a 28 BMI. That means that he's just a tad shorter than 6 feet. I would guess that 205 at 6 feet doesn't look "obese." But he probably looks a bit chubby. I think you could lose that weight in a few months if you watch your diet and exercise a 5-6 times a week.

Ya probably overweight, but not yet obese. But if you have a BMI more than 30 you should really get your **** together if you want to work in medicine and not seem like a hypocrite

I have always had a weight problem in my life. I do not think there was a time when I was in decent shape. That weight is very very difficult to lose.

My general question is: Is attractiveness/appearance/weight a factor in the acceptance process?

If so, should you wear make-up, those things that make your stomach and thighs look smaller and 'not be yourself' to ace the interview?

Whenever I look at medical students I notice NONE are even slightly overweight. Has anyone else noticed this?

You cannot deny that most applicants that go to medical school are obese (30% of America have a BMI >30). And I do not think that overweight people themselves are too lazy to apply to medical school or too lazy to be a doctor. Do you think medical school applicants are too smart and self-conscious about their weight and adcoms need to make sure that you are going to be a healthy doctor-leading by example.

I think doctors should lead by example, and they should not be obese. If patients see you as being obese, they will follow in your path.

I think I am going to be anorexic LOL! Is this a good way to motivate my weight loss process? Because man, I could get very desperate when it comes to medical school admissions!

OP, I suggest that you do something about your weight. When I lost weight (35 pounds), med school was one of my motivating factors.
If you want to lose weight fast, I suggest you do a low carb diet (atkins or south beach or whatever). While you're doing the diet, stick to it religiously. I don't know whether the diet was able to reduce my daily caloric intake or it actually works because of the reasons they advertise (which mostly sounds like bs), but it works wonderfully. It works even faster for males (my gf took longer to lose similar amount of weight), so that's a plus ! Just make sure to watch your calorie intake after the diet, and start exercising regularly.

People here are going to say that it's unhealthy and going to ruin your body in the long run , but I couldn't find anything to suggest that before I started the diet.

Unfortunately the problem with weight loss is that 1) it's frustrating when it takes a long time 2) it won't be permanent unless you adopt a more healthy lifestyle

In my medical school class of ~60 students, there are probably 1 or 2 students who could be considered "obese". Maybe another handful might be considered "overweight" - all of this is judging by physical appearance, of course. I don't actually know the BMI of all my classmates. I noticed that most people who are accepted into medical school are in a healthy weight range.

I think that more healthy and fit people are accepted into medical school, not because of their looks, but because their lifestyles are more conducive to academic achievement. For example, a person who can balance school with working out and eating healthy is more likely to do well in medical school than a person who eats junk food all day. Healthy people who eat nutritious foods and get sufficient exercise have a greater advantage because they can concentrate better and have increased memory retention.

Just my observation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm I see this exact question on the front page. I am a beautiful, unique butterfly so I need answers specifically tailored to MY dilemma because there's no way that any of the answers in those threads concerning an identical question could possibly be relevant to me. Guess it's time to make the same thread again!

In any path where the interview is important, how you look will have some impact. While no programs will have outward biases against heavy people, psychology tells us that there will always be inherent biases toward good looking people.

:eek::confused::scared:

:thumbdown:

If he recanted his statement there is really no reason to keep badgering him... I think by all of the posts now he has made a decision about what to do.

I think it's the last thing anyone will look at (if they even do). There are a lot of overweight people in healthcare..including doctors. What they will look at is whether or not you're a confident individual who comes off as being professional.

I've seen more obese nurses than doctors. Just work out and go for a jog every once in a while, OP.

Don't even joke about it. New England Journal of Medicine just a few weeks ago had a case report of a 27 year old man with a BMI of 35 who lost 36 kg in 10 months. Over time he started lifting weights and ended up presenting to endocrine clinic with weakness, fatigue, weight loss and loss of libido. You need a subscription to read the rest of the story but it was not a "happily ever after" story.

If medical schools didn't accept fat people, you can bet a lot of male applicants would be applying there "for the chicks."

Since they don't, well, that should give you an answer.

If medical schools didn't accept fat people, you can bet a lot of male applicants would be applying there "for the chicks."

Since they don't, well, that should give you an answer.

That's just silly to think the guys would spend all that money, and all that time getting into medical school "for the chicks". We're talking about a career choice and thousands of hours for committment. I typically don't like to put more than 60 minutes of committment into just getting laid.

Okay, So I am an overweight guy. 205 pounds. My BMI is like 28! Will this be unfavorable to medical school interviewers?

No.

Appearance is definitely a factor. If you show up to the interview in a t-shirt and jeans, an unkempt beard, or otherwise disheveled, you're not going to leave the adcoms with a good impression.

That said, weight doesn't really play into that. If you wear clothes that fit you well (not super tight or really baggy), you shouldn't have a problem. This is where tailoring for interview suits comes in.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, feel free to wear make-up (though I'd be a bit skeptical of a guy wearing makeup to interviews) or something akin to Spanx. But don't do it because you think it'll give adcoms a better impression of you. And you should absolutely be yourself at the interview.

No. While I have a ton of really athletic and thin people in my class, there's a fair few of us that are overweight, and maybe one or two that are obese. Maybe the reason you don't see it is because those individuals hide their weight well. I'm overweight, by about 20 lbs. But I wear clothes that fit me well and flatter the figure I do have, and most people can't tell that I have a few too many pounds on me.

You cannot deny that most applicants that go to medical school are obese (30% of America have a BMI >30).

Sure you can. I'm pretty sure the medical school applicant pool is not concentrated with obese people. So, at most, 30% of applicants are obese, the average for the general population.

If you want to lose weight and need some motivation, then use interviews as that motivation.

just live a healthy lifestyle and everything else will follow, you don't have to be a super model

Hey guys,
I am sorry once again for posting this it was unnecessary. I don't know why I thought this forum would be different, that I would be special in a sense. I guess I didn't want to believe that adcoms view negatively on poor weight control. The reason why I am so afraid of this is because I have tried many times in the past to lose weight. I stuck to strictly 1200 calories a day and I ran every day. This has been going on for 3 months. I go on the scale again many many times--bummer my weight is still 204/205. I consider myself healthy. I could run faster than most people my weight. I do want to give the blame to genetics-even though I have a ton of fat family members, but I will not say anything. People who are skinny with proper thyroid function and metabolism speed do not understand the difficulties of losing weight--when you were fat to begin with. I went to a doctor when I was younger and he said over and over that my weight gain was because of my metered dose inhaler which is a steroid thereby causing my weight gain. Great, now I am not on the inhaler and my weight is stuck with me. I do not overeat at all! I think more drastic measures are to be taken.

I do not appear overweight/obese. No one would guess it. Maybe it is muscle mass?-no I'm not muscular, I do have moobs (man boobs) and large thighs, my six pack is visible but there is still fat there. I am pear shaped, oh and I am a guy. Talk about self-confidence.

Hm I see this exact question on the front page. I am a beautiful, unique butterfly so I need answers specifically tailored to MY dilemma because there's no way that any of the answers in those threads concerning an identical question could possibly be relevant to me. Guess it's time to make the same thread again!

You are right, sorry.

Don't even joke about it. New England Journal of Medicine just a few weeks ago had a case report of a 27 year old man with a BMI of 35 who lost 36 kg in 10 months. Over time he started lifting weights and ended up presenting to endocrine clinic with weakness, fatigue, weight loss and loss of libido. You need a subscription to read the rest of the story but it was not a "happily ever after" story.

When I said I am going to be anorexic, it was nothing more than an exaggeration of my efforts. Poor guy, I wish him the best.

Last edited:
:( sorry, How do I delete it?

I guess I just wanted some insight on how much attractiveness and weight factors into the admissions process. I wanted more insight on the subject. It seems ugly and unjust.

:eyebrow:

Bro, just get on a diet eating clean, hit the weight room, and then just swim in the women. Easy

Hey guys,
I am sorry once again for posting this it was unnecessary. I don't know why I thought this forum would be different, that I would be special in a sense. I guess I didn't want to believe that adcoms view negatively on poor weight control. The reason why I am so afraid of this is because I have tried many times in the past to lose weight. I stuck to strictly 1200 calories a day and I ran every day. This has been going on for 3 months. I go on the scale again many many times--bummer my weight is still 204/205. I consider myself healthy. I could run faster than most people my weight. I do want to give the blame to genetics-even though I have a ton of fat family members, but I will not say anything. People who are skinny with proper thyroid function and metabolism speed do not understand the difficulties of losing weight--when you were fat to begin with. I went to a doctor when I was younger and he said over and over that my weight gain was because of my metered dose inhaler which is a steroid thereby causing my weight gain. Great, now I am not on the inhaler and my weight is stuck with me. I do not overeat at all! I think more drastic measures are to be taken.

I do not appear overweight/obese. No one would guess it. Maybe it is muscle mass?-no I'm not muscular, I do have moobs (man boobs) and large thighs, my six pack is visible but there is still fat there. I am pear shaped, oh and I am a guy. Talk about self-confidence.

You are right, sorry.

When I said I am going to be anorexic, it was nothing more than an exaggeration of my efforts. Poor guy, I wish him the best.

You are not eating nearly enough! For a dude your size, you should eat nearly twice as many calories! Your body is going into starvation mode. This could be why you aren't losing weight.

Eat right, Exercise, and wear a tailored suit and be confident. You are a good person there is no reason for you not to be

I think it's the last thing anyone will look at (if they even do). There are a lot of overweight people in healthcare..including doctors. What they will look at is whether or not you're a confident individual who comes off as being professional.

This. Go to a hospital and see the bundles of heavy ancillary staff. And med students come in all shapes and sizes :D

Do any of you even kinesiology? Brb, bmi is sole predictor of obesity.

Op, you could have the same bmi and 2% body fat bro. You gotta measure that body fat and then we can further assess you.

Hey guys,

You are right, sorry.

As already stated, you are definitely not eating enough food for someone of your size. To be honest, you're eating the amount of food that a 110 pound girl needs to eat to lose 1 pound per week. For an idea of the amount of calories that you should net to lose 1-2 pounds per week (you should not be losing more than that), try a free site like myfitnesspal.com where you enter in your age, height, weight, and goal weight to figure out calories, and then you have the option of tracking your daily food and exercise. I started using this site a year ago, and while I didn't lose weight quickly, I've lost 20 pounds in the last year and have a sustainable, healthy diet. My biggest tip: don't do any sort of diet/lifestyle change that you can't sustain for the rest of you're life. Make small changes, and be patient. Good luck.

You are not eating nearly enough! For a dude your size, you should eat nearly twice as many calories! Your body is going into starvation mode. This could be why you aren't losing weight.

+1
It is important to have calorie in < calorie out but if the difference is too much your body will stop burning the fat and resort to other strategy to cope with the lack of energy. A guy your size I think would need about 3000 calorie a day so you should be eating at 2000-2500 a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not worry too much about it. Most of the Physicians I know are out of shape and not generally the lookers. Just keep yourself looking professional.

I would not worry too much about it. Most of the Physicians I know are out of shape and not generally the lookers. Just keep yourself looking professional.

Physicians are also among a population of people that are busier than average, more stressed than average, and older than average, all things that correspond to higher weight. correlation/causation blah blah.

Also physicians you see typically applied to medical school 10+ years ago, they may have had Olympian-god bodies we all strive for

For everyone telling me that I am not eating enough and that I should eat more, I knew that from the start, but here is what I figured:

Yes I know that my metabolism will slow, but even if I eat 1200 calories and burn 3500 calories a day and my metabolism is slow-my body will still utilize fat. The thing is, it is not!

So if I eat 2500 calories and burn 3500 a day (including exercise and normal body function) do you think my weight will normalize because my metabolism will speed? That does make sense, but again

If I don't eat at all, how will the body compensate for all that net-calorie deficit, it will utilize fat--so theoretically either way should work. Why would one may not work over the other?

I'm gonna go ahead and try to eat more. Thanks guys for the suggestion.