Do medical schools talk with each other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Okay, I SWEAR I haven't done this)

Do medical schools share admissions information about applicants? Say for instance I wrote school X a letter in which I said it was my first choice school, then I wrote school Y the same letter.....would the two schools ever know?

Members don't see this ad.

nope. never heard of this happening. I think the applications are all confidential. It's kinda like that deal a couple years back where yale was looking at harvard's or princeton's undergrad applications and seeing if kids were accepted. I don't think they're allowed to do this

Members don't see this ad :)
AStudent said:
(Okay, I SWEAR I haven't done this)

Do medical schools share admissions information about applicants? Say for instance I wrote school X a letter in which I said it was my first choice school, then I wrote school Y the same letter.....would the two schools ever know?

Nope, they won't know. The only info they share is where you've been accepted... and that's not until after May 15th or some time around there.

That's what I figured, but I know at least a few people suspect the CA schools of having some sort of database.

DrMom said:
They have no reason to "compare notes" on applicants...plus they're pretty busy with their own application/interview process.

I'm going to disagree...Although admissions offices are busy and applications are "confidential," I still think that that schools can talk "under the table," and I've heard several anecdotes from past applicants to support that. It doesn't mean they're discussing specific points from your appliction (as in, "Ooh, applicant B said x,y,z, in your 'Why X medical college' secondary essay but not in ours?"), but from what I picked up on during interviews, a lot of admissions heads and staff do visit other medical schools and know their counterparts, whether that means on a friendly/personal level or acquaintance level.

I have heard warnings from med students at different schools about writing letters of intent (in the manner of "I will come if accepted") to more than one school, because it could get ugly if admissions heads from those schools happen to discuss it. That doesn't mean that's BOUND to happen, but it certainly isn't implausible, especially at schools that traditionally compete for the same applicants and that either want to keep their US News rank or move up by keeping their admit numbers as low as possible. I hate bringing US News into the picture, but that's an "explanation" I've heard before, and with the way those rankings are heralded, it makes sense.

Not to be a prude but who the hell cares if they will know, it's dishonest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you or saying you did this, I just think the question is inappropriate. With all of the rigors of getting to the application process and all of the hours writing secondaries etc. thinking something like sending out multiple "your #1" letters will somehow benefit you or put you over the hump is ludacris. The point is that it will probably do nothing to get you in and if by a slight chance you do get caught it labels you dishonest and lacking character before you even begin your journey. Wow, I'm out of breath :laugh: