californiasky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hi guys, I am 3 weeks into my EM rotation and I am realizing that I really like it, my question is whether or not I should take USMLE step 2. I did not take Step 1 but I heard that USMLE is a plus if I am applying allopathiic.

Is it too late to take Step 2 in the beginning of September (I have COMLEX 2 sccheduled for Aug 25)? When do residencies start interviewing? I dont think I would get scores back until mid Oct....

Thanks.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2005
Status
Take it! And take it really close to COMLEX II as the tests cover exactly the same info but in different ways. If you do well on COMLEX II, you will do well on USMLE II. And this makes a huge difference at some institutions. I am one year ahead of you and just experienced this issue first hand. Don't listen to the DO's who say "I matched without it". They may have, but do you want your package to be stronger or just average? It's up to you.

About the Ads

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2001
Visit site
Status
BklynWill said:
Can you take USMLE Step 2 if you didn't take Step 1?
Yes, I am doing that on Aug. 14th.

OP
C

californiasky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
if i take the USMLE the first week of sept...so im not gonna get my scores back until oct i imagine...is that too late to apply?

if i send in my app before I know my scores will programs who require the USMLE automatically reject me?

About the Ads