1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

DO needing to take USMLE Step 2?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by californiasky, Jul 28, 2006.

1. californiasky

californiasky Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys, I am 3 weeks into my EM rotation and I am realizing that I really like it, my question is whether or not I should take USMLE step 2. I did not take Step 1 but I heard that USMLE is a plus if I am applying allopathiic.

Is it too late to take Step 2 in the beginning of September (I have COMLEX 2 sccheduled for Aug 25)? When do residencies start interviewing? I dont think I would get scores back until mid Oct....

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. corpsmanUP

corpsmanUP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Take it! And take it really close to COMLEX II as the tests cover exactly the same info but in different ways. If you do well on COMLEX II, you will do well on USMLE II. And this makes a huge difference at some institutions. I am one year ahead of you and just experienced this issue first hand. Don't listen to the DO's who say "I matched without it". They may have, but do you want your package to be stronger or just average? It's up to you.

4. BklynWill

BklynWill EM Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can you take USMLE Step 2 if you didn't take Step 1?

5. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

Yes, I am doing that on Aug. 14th.

6. californiasky

californiasky Member
    7+ Year Member

if i take the USMLE the first week of sept...so im not gonna get my scores back until oct i imagine...is that too late to apply?

if i send in my app before I know my scores will programs who require the USMLE automatically reject me?

7. Dr.MISHKA D.O.

Dr.MISHKA D.O. Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took Usmle Step II without a step I and got a great score, which I believe helped me greatly. It gives the programs the ability to compare apples with apples, and in EM step II counts for more anyway.
    My $0.02

Best Wishes

The Mish