DO/NMS Match PLUS NMP Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYUyankeezfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, question. Here are some scores: USMLE Step 1 223; USMLE Step 2 CK 240; COMLEX Level 1 556; COMLEX Level 2 665. I'm planning on doing the allopathic match, BUT I'm still wondering if I should bother registering for the AOA/NMS match if I'm interseted in 2 IM programs, both of which are dual-accredited. Should I register and apply for those 2 programs in addition to the NRMP match? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It will most likely depend on how many interviews you will land. Two programs IMO would not be enough for me to risk matching into the NMS match (unless you have a small amount of interview invites). Since they are both dually accredited you might as well go all in with the NRMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Contact the program and ask them if they prefer you to apply through the "osteopathic" designation as a DO. If not, submit the non-Osteopathic app. You don't have to register for the AOA match for like another few months. Don't worry about it until you get the majority of your interviews and decide. Unless those 2 places are like your top 2, it would make more sense to go NRMP, but again you don't have to make that decision now. Its also worth noting that you can even decide in Jan to not rank any programs in the NMS match, and you'll only lose the money.

That all said, I've talked to some dual-accredited programs and they've told me that they don't intend to rank DOs in the NRMP match, only in the NMS match, while others have said it doesn't matter, so yeah, contact the program and find out.

Reactions: 1 users