Do not go to LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a fourth year at LECOM, I have to say that I have been very happy with my time at LECOM. I have not had any major problems with the clinical education department, have gotten rave reviews from attendings about the quality of LECOM students, and just got matched to my #1 choice for residency. How do you expect LECOM to help you with the match? Do you want them to call PD's for you and speak on your behalf? Do you want them to hold your hand while you type in your CV info on ERAS? Make your rank order list? With so many students spread out doing rotations all over the country, it's not always so easy to get everyone on the same page. Their job is not to find you a residency. The school sent us all the needed information for using ERAS and getting LORs. I had NO problems in applying at all. It actually was probably one of the smoothest processes I've ever encountered.

LECOM grads have been great to me on rotations. One grad acted as my mentor and helped set up rotations for me at a non-affiliate hospital and spoke to a PD on behalf of me. The great majority of grads that I have interacted with on my clinical rotations have been top-notch.

I think all the complainers need to grow up a little bit and take some responsibility. The school offers a quality education in a safe, secure environment (video cameras and all). It's easy to warp yourself into thinking that you have it so bad, but take a look around at the bigger picture and see what medicine is all about. For those students who may be reading these posts about the negative aspects at LECOM in particular, take a listen to other osteopathic medical students. I hear it all in my conversations with other OMS. Every school has its bad aspects--one school requires its students to slide their ID card to monitor attendance. Different schools have weird exam viewing policies--it's nothing new. It's just one example of many negative things I've heard about each school.

I've been an ambassador. It's completely false that the admissions people look over your shoulders. That had absolutely never been the case in the numerous times I helped out with lunches. Perhaps things have changed since I last was there two years ago, but I doubt it.

The school has been extremely supportive of me over the past several years. Did you ever talk to the Dean? She cares about the quality of the school and the quality of your education whether you appreciate it or not. If you make an attempt to be a good student, do some good, and follow the basic rules that are established, you won't run into problems. Welcome to the real world, student doctors. ;)

njdo

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
njdo said:
As a fourth year at LECOM, I have to say that I have been very happy with my time at LECOM. I have not had any major problems with the clinical education department, have gotten rave reviews from attendings about the quality of LECOM students, and just got matched to my #1 choice for residency. How do you expect LECOM to help you with the match? Do you want them to call PD's for you and speak on your behalf? Do you want them to hold your hand while you type in your CV info on ERAS? Make your rank order list? With so many students spread out doing rotations all over the country, it's not always so easy to get everyone on the same page. Their job is not to find you a residency. The school sent us all the needed information for using ERAS and getting LORs. I had NO problems in applying at all. It actually was probably one of the smoothest processes I've ever encountered.

LECOM grads have been great to me on rotations. One grad acted as my mentor and helped set up rotations for me at a non-affiliate hospital and spoke to a PD on behalf of me. The great majority of grads that I have interacted with on my clinical rotations have been top-notch.

I think all the complainers need to grow up a little bit and take some responsibility. The school offers a quality education in a safe, secure environment (video cameras and all). It's easy to warp yourself into thinking that you have it so bad, but take a look around at the bigger picture and see what medicine is all about. For those students who may be reading these posts about the negative aspects at LECOM in particular, take a listen to other osteopathic medical students. I hear it all in my conversations with other OMS. Every school has its bad aspects--one school requires its students to slide their ID card to monitor attendance. Different schools have weird exam viewing policies--it's nothing new. It's just one example of many negative things I've heard about each school.

I've been an ambassador. It's completely false that the admissions people look over your shoulders. That had absolutely never been the case in the numerous times I helped out with lunches. Perhaps things have changed since I last was there two years ago, but I doubt it.

The school has been extremely supportive of me over the past several years. Did you ever talk to the Dean? She cares about the quality of the school and the quality of your education whether you appreciate it or not. If you make an attempt to be a good student, do some good, and follow the basic rules that are established, you won't run into problems. Welcome to the real world, student doctors. ;)

njdo

If you don't mind me asking, which field did you get matched into?

Thanks,
DrIsh

"Tell me some reasons that people should choose LECOM over other DO schools other than becuase they can't get in to any other school."

You really shouldn't insult other people's decisions.

And I thought we should take a year off over choosing LECOM if that was the only school we got into? Just as a note, I'm really not trying to spark yet another pointless battle of the insults....I'm just pointing out a contradiction. I've already made my choice in schools and it wasn't the only school I was accepted to.

I personally am a fan of rules. I like the security cameras. I don't mind people standing over my shoulder and checking out what I'm doing. I believe that's a pretty common experience in medicine anyway. AndI mean, I'll most likely be working with "eyes" on me in hospitals anyway....might as well get used to this stuff now. And at least I know I'll definitely be going to class every day. A little structure, or mafia rule as people on SDN have named the admin at LECOM, never hurt. ;)

I would like to say that I'm grateful for any information regarding the school that I will be attending, so in that light I'm glad for your insight. I know personally I'll keep things in the back of my mind so that maybe I can avoid some of the problems you've been experiencing. Fortunately for me, however, I wanna go into peds, which like FP is according to some people a dime a dozen, so I'll probably have less problems with matching. I think this thread has gone on long enough though. We are all well warned and can probably PM you with any other questions regarding the pre-clinical and clinical years at LECOM. I wish you luck in finishing out your last year and some months at LECOM. Hopefully things will go more smoothly for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
njdo said:

njdo

Well said, I think the thread should end here, with this comment. :thumbup:

Jamers said:
Well said, I think the thread should end here, with this comment. :thumbup:
Jamers, you always want to close any thread has argument. could you please give pepole the chance to say their opinions even if you do not like them.
Close the thread will not help any one.
OP has a very strong points if you see them or not. and nothing will change if everybody kept quiet.
Thank you

JO300 said:
Jamers, you always want to close any thread has argument. could you please give pepole the chance to say their opinions even if you do not like them.
OP has a very strong points if you see them or not. and nothing will change if everybody kept quiet.
Thank you

What is the point of a I hate LECOM thread? Should we start a I hate VCOM thread as well? Opinions are fine but people bashing schools is pointless. Go back and read the comments, tell me if you think people enjoy the thread. The majoirty of the comments are bashing the OP for bashing the school. I dont know what you learned in school but, I call that a circle. I bash the school, you bash me, I bash you back. Wow, lets keep this thread open, waste some more packets sending useless information back and forth and hopefully we will just clog up SDN with all the bull****. You are right, you have changed my mind. ON WITH THE BULL****, EVERYONE PILE IT ON!!! I HATE LECOM!!!! I HATE VCOM!!! There, now you can flame me and I can flame you and someone else can flame the both of us for flaming each other and....oh ****, I have a headache...****...

Jamers said:
What is the point of a I hate LECOM thread? Should we start a I hate VCOM thread as well? Opinions are fine but people bashing schools is pointless. Go back and read the comments, tell me if you think people enjoy the thread. The majoirty of the comments are bashing the OP for bashing the school. I dont know what you learned in school but, I call that a circle. I bash the school, you bash me, I bash you back. Wow, lets keep this thread open, waste some more packets sending useless information back and forth and hopefully we will just clog up SDN with all the bull****. You are right, you have changed my mind. ON WITH THE BULL****, EVERYONE PILE IT ON!!! I HATE LECOM!!!! I HATE VCOM!!! There, now you can flame me and I can flame you and someone else can flame the both of us for flaming each other and....oh ****, I have a headache...****...

The OP is a MSIII so he/she knows LECOM more than any Pre med who is going to LECOM. and I think the OP is trying to say his/her experiance and many ignorant people trying to attack him/her becasue they do not want to hear it or they can not conduct an argument as adult.
It is very clear that many students agree that LECOM is in need for change to be better school.
people who speak up professionally most likely they are the people who will make difference.
we do not need to close the thread we need to learn how you can condect an argument proffessionally.
please try to attack the OP points not his/her personality.
Thank you.

Jamers said:

Jamers, you are officially my favorite person on SDN.
oooohhhh look, I'm not flaming you! what has the world come to!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JO300 said:
Thank you

FYI, I don't know what you learned in english class, but the OP did not make any points at all. From what I gathered in English 101, you are supposed to make statements, and then back them up with evidence. The OP managed to do the first, mindlessly easy step, but there was absolutely nothing behind the bold accusations. To make it worse, he/she has not even been back on the thread to defend himself/herself. In fact, I am almost certain that the OP is laughing his/her head off for having created such havoc! Truth be told, the OP is a genius and an idiot, all wrapped in one.

I think discussions like this produce lots of heat, but also importantly, some light :thumbup: . I have a clearer idea about the atomsphere at LECOM. Different people may or may not care about the apparent strictness of the environment.
It seems like further discussion may hash out the state LECOM's clinical education & residency placement. I never really thought about who a school may "support" it's student when they are trying to match. More input by clearly knowlegable people may hash out the validity of the OP's concerns.
The OP has raised some important issues. I thank him as well as other posters.

JO300 said:
The OP is a MSIII so he/she knows LECOM more than any Pre med who is going to LECOM. and I think the OP is trying to say his/her experiance and many ignorant people trying to attack him/her becasue they do not want to hear it or they can not conduct an argument as adult.
It is very clear that many students agree that LECOM is in need for change to be better school.
people who speak up professionally most likely they are the people who will make difference.
we do not need to close the thread we need to learn how you can condect an argument proffessionally.
Thank you.

The OP is an MSIII, and I'm the Messiah :laugh:

Look guys...just because you attend a school doesn't necessarily mean you have to support or believe in the institution. I'm not generally a negative person. My undergrad school was wonderful...I speak to their premeds all the time and am very fair in my assessment of LECOM. LECOM is the only choice for some people and they have to make the decision of whether to attend or take the year off. It's a big decision and I can't answer that question for them.

In my initial post, I didn't take the time to explain why I would steer you away from LECOM. Now I have. Although several people have supported the school, and that's fine by me, no one has refuted any of the ten statements I have made. Now I am asking people who attend the school to do just this. We'll see if they can.

This will be my last post on this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if LECOM was trying to filter this thread and track me down for being honest here. I will say this. If you are considering family medicine as a career and don't mind learning in a negative atmosphere with bogus rules and al ton of unpleasantness, then by all means, go to LECOM. However, if you think you are the type of individual who may want to pursue a specialty track such as optho, gen surgery, anesthesia, etc...then think twice. I have my own perspectives on MD. vs. DO and feel that they should unite based on what I've experienced in the hospital. However, this is for another thread.

Matching can be very complicated. You are participating in two matching systems as a DO applying to MD residencies (which by the way, most residencies are MD and most DO students end up doing MD residencies). This can be a very confusing time, given that you are applying to osteo rotating internships which can eliminate you from MD programs alltogether. If you go to LECOM, you will have no direction and support when you leave after your MS II year. I've not been to the school in almost a full year.

Those stating that they easily matched into a spot already are referring to those dime a dozen family medicine spots and other DO residencies. Believe me, they are EASY to come by. If I had it to do over again, I would go MD...no question about it. I attended LECOM because they told me I could come back to Pittsburgh and do all of my rotations here.

In the end, you all must decide for yourself where to go. I can assure you that there will never be a day in your life where you'll be proud to say you're from LECOM. Trust me on this one.

Take care guys, time for me to go back to my home....the Anesthesiology forum!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

JO300 said:
Thank you.

Do you still believe in Santa too?! As far as I am concerened, until SDN makes it a set law that all who sign up have to tell the truth (no clue how this would be done but, hey, you live in a fantasy world so, you think of a way) I will not believe most of what I read on here. Maybe he/she is an MSIII, maybe they are an MSI or, maybe, as someone brought up, they are an angry person who has been waitlisted. This is not a Journal article, this is not pubmed this is SDN and it is not PEER REVIEWED. As far as VALID goes, I put this website up there along side a chat network. I cannot, in good taste to education, pretend to believe this OP. I have never met them and, therefore, I cannot validate their details. I think you would do well to read SDN like a chat network. Some people offer truth, some offer false and some offer, well, BULL****. If you are going to believe someone on this website that says, "I hate LECOM," and not view the school for yourself, then more power to you, I hope you enjoy your life (I might also suggest that you read the magazines in the store lines about baby dinosaures born to 35 year old woman as well, hell, how do we know that isnt true?! That may shed some light as well!!!). I am sorry to sound like a dick, I really am not one in real life...okay, maybe a bit :laugh: , but I cannot see how I am sitting here, reading this and people are taking it seriously. Take a tour of LECOM, visit the damn school, talk to the damn people and find out for your damn self. DO NOT take what you read on here as scripture, it was not written by GOD it was written by people just like you and me. People with, I am sorry to say, agendas. I'd like to end this with a sigh but, I think ARRRRRG is better so: ARRRRRRG. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't be surprised if LECOM was trying to filter this thread and track me down for being honest here

I do respect other peoples opinions, but this starts to sound paranoid :laugh:

Jamers said:
Do you still believe in Santa too?! As far as I am concerened, until SDN makes it a set law that all who sign up have to tell the truth (no clue how this would be done but, hey, you live in a fantasy world so, you think of a way) I will not believe most of what I read on here. Maybe he/she is an MSIII, maybe they are an MSI or, maybe, as someone brought up, they are an angry person who has been waitlisted. This is not a Journal article, this is not pubmed this is SDN and it is not PEER REVIEWED. As far as VALID goes, I put this website up there along side a chat network. I cannot, in good taste to education, pretend to believe this OP. I have never met them and, therefore, I cannot validate their details. I think you would do well to read SDN like a chat network. Some people offer truth, some offer false and some offer, well, BULL****. If you are going to believe someone on this website that says, "I hate LECOM," and not view the school for yourself, then more power to you, I hope you enjoy your life (I might also suggest that you read the magazines in the store lines about baby dinosaures born to 35 year old woman as well, hell, how do we know that isnt true?! That may shed some light as well!!!). I am sorry to sound like a dick, I really am not one in real life...okay, maybe a bit :laugh: , but I cannot see how I am sitting here, reading this and people are taking it seriously. Take a tour of LECOM, visit the damn school, talk to the damn people and find out for your damn self. DO NOT take what you read on here as scripture, it was not written by GOD it was written by people just like you and me. People with, I am sorry to say, agendas. I'd like to end this with a sigh but, I think ARRRRRG is better so: ARRRRRRG. :confused:

I did not expect that we will agree.
good luck

I don't have a problem wearing a tie everyday. You're gonna have to wear one everyday when you get a job anyway.

anutka21 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if LECOM was trying to filter this thread and track me down for being honest here

He forgot to mention that they are making keyloggers a necessary component to your computer and that you must download a green latern type program so that they can make sure that your internet habits are safe. LECOM has become netnanny hahahha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He should log into a proxy from a library computer and try to bounce the signal off a few sat. Hell, he could even move to canada and log on from there...but that wouldn't be paranoid...would it????

Steel_City said:
Matching can be very complicated.... This can be a very confusing time...... If you go to LECOM, you will have no direction and support..... I've not been to the school in almost a full year.

What? You mean the LECOM administration did not go to your home and hold your hand through the complicated and confusing match process?? The cheek of them!

Jamers said:
He forgot to mention that they are making keyloggers a necessary component to your computer and that you must download a green latern type program so that they can make sure that your internet habits are safe. LECOM has become netnanny hahahha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He should log into a proxy from a library computer and try to bounce the signal off a few sat. Hell, he could even move to canada and log on from there...but that wouldn't be paranoid...would it????

Dude, you have a lot to learn...you are the reason I don't usually post in these pre-med forums. You really have no clue what you are talking about. LECOM will come accross as an OK place to learn medicine...then you will get there and everything will chance, especially when the anatomy professor starts to harass you in the anatomy lab. Yep, c'mon LECOM ladies, back me up on this one.

He only harasses the pretty girls though so if you don't get any love, you're probably not very attractive :laugh: Seriously though...I put up some strong accusations in a previous post and NO ONE has refuted any of them. What does that tell you?

anutka21 said:

I have a friend who was called to Silvia's office for something he said in an email. C'mon now, would you really be that surprised if they monitored this forum? FYI, I had a friend who interviewed for anesthesia at the Medical College of Georgia this year and the program director asked him if he was a specific username on SND. Most residency programs follow these forums...if you don't beleive me, just go to the desired specialty and start a thread about it.

So tell us all about the specific people in the administration that you admire...we'de love to know.

Jamers, this message is for you man. I really hope you get your spot at LECOM. You'll fit in just fine. :thumbup:

By the way....In case I forgot to mention it, LECOM has had one of the worst board-pass rates in the country over the last three years. Make sure you ask them about this on your interview. I'd love to hear them talk their way out of this one. I'm pretty sure it's in the low 80's for COMLEX I.

I don't understand all of the uproar. People are free to have opinions. If you don't like them or think they are baseless then simply don't buy into them.

If someone doesn't like a particular school then more power to them to to say so. Similarly, if someone loves a school then start a thread on that. Who cares. We can all pick and choose which threads we read. And quite franklyopinions on here CAN give SOME insight. Going to a school in person isn't going to give you the total picture.

Take a deep breath people.

Steel_City said:
By the way....In case I forgot to mention it, LECOM has had one of the worst board-pass rates in the country over the last three years. Make sure you ask them about this on your interview. I'd love to hear them talk their way out of this one. I'm pretty sure it's in the low 80's for COMLEX I.

I was under the impression that LECOM's first time pass rate was fine. If I recall, the LDP was slightly lower(~87%) than national average(90%), and the PBL was slightly higher(~91%) than average. These numbers are off the top of my head though, so I may be wrong. If you can point me to a credible source of info on this, I would appreciate it.

Steel_City said:
Jamers, this message is for you man. I really hope you get your spot at LECOM. You'll fit in just fine. :thumbup:

Last I heard it was 87% for LDP but that has been a while. What is the current pass rate? Thanks.

daveyjwin said:
I was under the impression that LECOM's first time pass rate was fine. If I recall, the LDP was slightly lower(~87%) than national average(90%), and the PBL was slightly higher(~91%) than average. These numbers are off the top of my head though, so I may be wrong. If you can point me to a credible source of info on this, I would appreciate it.

The numbers sound pretty accurate to me. I heard the same thing during my interview.

Actually I have heard lower board stats for other schools, like UNECOM and NYCOM. (AND PLEASE DO NOT THINK I AM STARTING A WAR OF THE SCHOOLS HERE--THIS IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE HEARD). I have also heard students say that they went to those above schools ONLY because those were the only schools they got into. As I recall, the OP claims that LECOM is the only school that people go to when they have no other choice. Could it be that there are other schools like that! woahhhhh!!!

daveyjwin said:

Trust me, LECOM does everything in its power to boost these numbers. They also do not reveal this information readily. I wonder what LECOM would say if you ask them to reveal their board scores for the past five years. I don't think they would tell you.

I would like everyone to go to the LECOM website and look at the names of the administration. You will notice that there are multiple Ferrettis and multiple Espers on staff. The difference between LECOM and all the other schools in the nation is that LECOM is runy by ONE FAMILY. John Ferretti is the President, Silvia Ferretti is the Dean and the list continues.

May I point out that still, no one has refuted that ten statements I made about LECOM, nor that the head of anatomy is an old pervert.

Steel_City said:
Trust me, LECOM does everything in its power to boost these numbers.

I worked in an admissions office of another college for years. Basically, EVERY school (med school, undergrad, law school, etc.) goes out of its way to boost their report of their own standardized test scores. It's part of academic marketing.

Steel_City said:
I have a friend who was called to Silvia's office for something he said in an email. C'mon now, would you really be that surprised if they monitored this forum? FYI, I had a friend who interviewed for anesthesia at the Medical College of Georgia this year and the program director asked him if he was a specific username on SND. Most residency programs follow these forums...if you don't beleive me, just go to the desired specialty and start a thread about it.

So tell us all about the specific people in the administration that you admire...we'de love to know.

Too much to reply to! I love you too though sweetheart! I am already going to another school but THANKS FOR THE OFFER. I would love to join you in Gattaca, I mean LECOM.

If you are so worried about people reading your emails, do not send them from the school. If you still think they can "read" them. You have a serious problem and may need some help. If this doesn't help with your own delusions, log into a proxy server (i.e., another computer so that your IP address is masked). If you still think they can read the emails and SDN and know who you are, then, I have LECOM wrong. They are not training doctors but, rather, HACKERS, really, really good ones!

FutureDocDO said:
Last I heard it was 87% for LDP but that has been a while. What is the current pass rate? Thanks.

The class of 2006 had a COMLEX I pass rate around 76% and my class (2007) was right around the same number. PBL had the highest, followed by LDP, and then ISP. I have seen the % for the class of 2006 from the director of PBL who is no longer at LECOM. W.K. for those who are MS3s and MS4s.

This is why LECOM hired Kaplan to teach a board review course, because the class of 2006 has such a poor pass rate. Evidently it didn't do much good for my class either.

Look, I wouldn't recommend LECOM either, but that is neither here nor there. You can search some of previous posts and see that I am not disgruntled and have done quite well on boards and class-wise. LECOM is a means to an end. If you go there plan to work hard, take the USMLE and do your electives at large universities and shine. I was in PBL so I didn't have to deal with all the things of CODA, dress code everday, etc. I also felt I was able to take a more active approach in my learning and board preparation.

My biggest problem with LECOM is that I feel there is no "frame" for you to fall back on or defer too. Basically, I felt from day 1 you are on your own and will be until tuition is due or someone says a "trigger" word in email.

Again, some people think LECOM is great. I, like, Steel_City am not fond of the place.

Good luck either way.

Steel_City said:
Trust me, LECOM does everything in its power to boost these numbers. They also do not reveal this information readily. I wonder what LECOM would say if you ask them to reveal their board scores for the past five years. I don't think they would tell you.

I would like everyone to go to the LECOM website and look at the names of the administration. You will notice that there are multiple Ferrettis and multiple Espers on staff. The difference between LECOM and all the other schools in the nation is that LECOM is runy by ONE FAMILY. John Ferretti is the President, Silvia Ferretti is the Dean and the list continues.

May I point out that still, no one has refuted that ten statements I made about LECOM, nor that the head of anatomy is an old pervert.

You have about three posts before this that are from LECOM students who deny what you say. What more do you need, someone to staple it to your forhead? Iam all for opinions but why are you wasting your time bashing this school if you really dont care about it? People have gripes with every school, starting a thread out of it helps very few people. The only way to learn about a school is to GO TO IT. Anyways, I thought your last post on here was about 4 posts ago? Geez, still cannot believe you! :laugh:

smgilles said:
The class of 2006 had a COMLEX I pass rate around 76% and my class (2007) was right around the same number. PBL had the highest, followed by LDP, and then ISP. I have seen the % for the class of 2006 from the director of PBL who is no longer at LECOM. W.K. for those who are MS3s and MS4s.

This is why LECOM hired Kaplan to teach a board review course, because the class of 2006 has such a poor pass rate. Evidently it didn't do much good for my class either.

Look, I wouldn't recommend LECOM either, but that is neither here nor there. You can search some of previous posts and see that I am not disgruntled and have done quite well on boards and class-wise. LECOM is a means to an end. If you go there plan to work hard, take the USMLE and do your electives at large universities and shine. I was in PBL so I didn't have to deal with all the things of CODA, dress code everday, etc. I also felt I was able to take a more active approach in my learning and board preparation.

My biggest problem with LECOM is that I feel there is no "frame" for you to fall back on or defer too. Basically, I felt from day 1 you are on your own and will be until tuition is due or someone says a "trigger" word in email.

Again, some people think LECOM is great. I, like, Steel_City am not fond of the place.

Good luck either way.

This is a good post, no bashing, just an honest opinion. These you can learn from. I am sorry Steel_City, but I see no point to your OP or any that you have sent thus far. This post actually makes someone stop and wonder because it doesnt carry the venom that yours did. But, I digress, I have enjoyed our banter but, I am getting rather bored of it. From this post I believe you will get what you wanted in the first place; a converstation about LECOM and not a flame war :) . Hell, I will admit, I didn't like the school either when I interviewed there, but I wont bash it either. I'd like people to see it for themselves and then judge, through their own powers of observation, if it fits them or not. But, this isn't a perfect world. Oh well...

Jamers said:
This is a good post, no bashing, just an honest opinion. These you can learn from. I am sorry Steel_City, but I see no point to your OP or any that you have sent thus far. This post actually makes someone stop and wonder because it doesnt carry the venom that yours did. But, I digress, I have enjoyed our banter but, I am getting rather bored of it. From this post I believe you will get what you wanted in the first place; a converstation about LECOM and not a flame war :) . Hell, I will admit, I didn't like the school either when I interviewed there, but I wont bash it either. I'd like people to see it for themselves and then judge, through their own powers of observation, if it fits them or not. But, this isn't a perfect world. Oh well...

My words have "venom" because I wish I would have known what kind of institution I was going to before I made my decision. I know what it feels like to feel strongly about an institution, as I am a proud alumnus of a strong undergrad insitution. Going to LECOM has really made me appreciate what it means to be supported by an insitution. Medicine should be taught in a pleasant environment. You have enough stress to worry about in med school. You don't need a bunch of extra crap to deal with.

I don't like to bash schools at all, but i think it is useful to weigh pros and cons.

LECOM has a lot of rules, and they don't give out their board scores or pass rates like they should. They are also family run-what the other poster said about them hiring family members is true. I don't think that type of hiring means that the best person is hired for the job. This may be one reason why they have issues with their board scores.

I personally didn't like the dress code and the forcing you to attend class unless you take the PBL approach. But all that would be forgiveable if their academics made up for it-but they clearly don't. A 76% pass rate is comparable to a Carribean school. There is a reason when pass rates are this low-it reflects on the quality (the presentation and organization) of instruction and the level of academic support for students. I have been in medical school long enough to know that a poorly taught class can mean a huge difference in grades. In these situations, getting a tutor, or other means of mastering the material, is essential.

At my school we are offered a lot of academic support and the school makes its pass rates on the boards known upfront. I would encourage all applicants to maintain a level of suspicion for schools that don't. Talk to the students-if they are telling you they don't get much academic support, listen to them.

Spankete87 said:
I personally am a fan of rules. I like the security cameras. I don't mind people standing over my shoulder and checking out what I'm doing. I believe that's a pretty common experience in medicine anyway. AndI mean, I'll most likely be working with "eyes" on me in hospitals anyway....might as well get used to this stuff now. And at least I know I'll definitely be going to class every day. A little structure, or mafia rule as people on SDN have named the admin at LECOM, never hurt. ;)

I think you put it in a nutshell: people who like rules and structure would not mind the LECOM environment. But I definitely don't feel that at my school the administration is looking over our shoulders. Recently there was an issue at our school with the suspicion that someone was cheating, and the administration could have solved it by checking our email, but they didn't. I really liked the fact that they respected our privacy. (the person was later cleared of cheating via another means).

When I was first applying to medical school, I thought I would be one of the people who attended class. But now I decided I like to stay home and watch the lectures from the comfort of my room. I can focus better, and don't have to spend an hour getting ready and driving to class. Luckily for me my school doesn't have forced attendance (except for clinical skills classes) or else I would be pretty unhappy.

1. There are camaras everywhere in the school and they watch you while you study in the breakout rooms. If you have a drink of water in there or a pack of gum, the security will yell at you. yes but you are told that the only place to eat food is in the cafeteria

2. You DO NOT get to review your exams in the core curriculum(biochem...pharm...etc.) and throughout systems. How can you learn if you can't even review your exams? In rare circumstances, they will allow you to review an exam such as anatomy but after that forget it.
Not true, I have been able to review every one of my exams

3. The clinical ed. Dr. Agostini is disliked by students and is in charge of all your rotations. You just won't like him. There is nothing to like about the man. So what you say? Well, he also rubs the physicians who take us on the wrong way and institutions are starting to cancel LECOM rotations because of this. Dr. Agostini seems like a nice guy to me

4. The school monitors your email. If you say something negative about them you will be called into Dr. Ferretti's office for scolding. This is bull****. I've been here two years and I have never known that to happen to anyone in my class

5. They won't open the workout area during the day to prevent students from skipping class to work out. It is open during the day

6. If you try to transfer, they will ruin your life. I had a friend who wanted out as an MS II. He hated it and wanted to go to PCOM. The dean called him in and just screamed at him saying his career was over. Trust me...they don't **** around there. had a classmate transfer, really wanted to be an MD, didn't happen to her

Look I am sorry about your bad experience, but please do not put words in everyone else’s mouths. I've talked with both S. Ferretti and J. Ferretti and, while they are both intimidating personalities, I do think they care about the students. But the reality is that all med schools are businesses and LECOM is not the only school opening up branch schools. Med school is what you make of it. I do have my bitching points on the school (med school is stressful and I do like to bitch), but in the large scope of things they are minor.

mcfreak said:
1. There are camaras everywhere in the school and they watch you while you study in the breakout rooms. If you have a drink of water in there or a pack of gum, the security will yell at you. yes but you are told that the only place to eat food is in the cafeteria

2. You DO NOT get to review your exams in the core curriculum(biochem...pharm...etc.) and throughout systems. How can you learn if you can't even review your exams? In rare circumstances, they will allow you to review an exam such as anatomy but after that forget it.
Not true, I have been able to review every one of my exams

3. The clinical ed. Dr. Agostini is disliked by students and is in charge of all your rotations. You just won't like him. There is nothing to like about the man. So what you say? Well, he also rubs the physicians who take us on the wrong way and institutions are starting to cancel LECOM rotations because of this. Dr. Agostini seems like a nice guy to me

4. The school monitors your email. If you say something negative about them you will be called into Dr. Ferretti's office for scolding. This is bull****. I've been here two years and I have never known that to happen to anyone in my class

5. They won't open the workout area during the day to prevent students from skipping class to work out. It is open during the day

6. If you try to transfer, they will ruin your life. I had a friend who wanted out as an MS II. He hated it and wanted to go to PCOM. The dean called him in and just screamed at him saying his career was over. Trust me...they don't **** around there. had a classmate transfer, really wanted to be an MD, didn't happen to her

Look I am sorry about your bad experience, but please do not put words in everyone else’s mouths. I've talked with both S. Ferretti and J. Ferretti and, while they are both intimidating personalities, I do think they care about the students. But the reality is that all med schools are businesses and LECOM is not the only school opening up branch schools. Med school is what you make of it. I do have my bitching points on the school (med school is stressful and I do like to bitch), but in the large scope of things they are minor.

Great post, mcfreak! :thumbup:

I agree that everyone has the right to post his or her own opinions, but for someone to say EVERYONE at a certain school feels the same way is crazy.

Most people I've met are happy with LECOM, but as with any school, there are a few who aren't! I'm happy to see the OP expressing his opinion. Hopefully I will be in the group that loves LECOM instead of the postion he is in. Like you said, school is what you make it!

smgilles said:
76% ?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get over it! I'm sorry the OP isn't happy but one person's problems with a school isn't cause for trying to bring a school or a college down. I could whine and moan all day about the University of Toledo, but some of my fellow students just love the place. If anyone here goes to UT you'll understand, especially the horrible rocket patrol!
For anyone who is complaining about the dress code, I went to catholic school for 12 years, a sweatervest with a freaking patch with the school's initials EVERY DAY, so no, you cannot compain, thank you :mad:

yposhelley said:
At my school we are offered a lot of academic support and the school makes its pass rates on the boards known upfront. I would encourage all applicants to maintain a level of suspicion for schools that don't. Talk to the students-if they are telling you they don't get much academic support, listen to them.

I so agree! If a school isn't totally upfront about things like their pass rate and match list, it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

LECOM Blows! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just accept this fact.

24IdaFire said:
I could whine and moan all day about the University of Toledo, but some of my fellow students just love the place. :mad:

Hey, I am a university of Toledo alumni! I'm one of those that loved it. I grew up there.

Anyway, we all need to take a collective deep breath and relax a little. Some people will like their schools, some won't. Some schools are better than others, some aren't so good.

At the end of the day, med school is med school. I was told this while on a rotation with a medical student from Rush med school. We were comparing notes and discussing our schools. At the end of the day, you still have to learn everything you can from school, teach yourself a lot of stuff, yourself and eventually make yourself into a good physician.

You are responsible for your education and you are going to make you into who you are.

Steel_City said:
LECOM Blows! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just accept this fact.

You said you were leaving somewhere on the third page. Liar, liar.... :laugh:

MaloCCOM said:
Hey, I am a university of Toledo alumni! I'm one of those that loved it. I grew up there.

Anyway, we all need to take a collective deep breath and relax a little. Some people will like their schools, some won't. Some schools are better than others, some aren't so good.

At the end of the day, med school is med school. I was told this while on a rotation with a medical student from Rush med school. We were comparing notes and discussing our schools. At the end of the day, you still have to learn everything you can from school, teach yourself a lot of stuff, yourself and eventually make yourself into a good physician.

You are responsible for your education and you are going to make you into who you are.

I agree with you entirely, however, this is not the topic of discussion. Anywhere you study medicine, you'll work hard...that's a given. You will encounter many obstacles over the next four years of your career. It's a given that wherever you choose to practice medicine, you'll make the best of it and get through it. This is exactly what I've done. However, all of this is common sense. The last thing you need in medical school is to have to deal with a bunch of nonsense from an administration that could really care less about you as an individual. There is soooo much negativity at LECOM that you feel it everytime you step into the building.

Here's an example. They pay one of the "Espers" to sit at the schools entrance every morning to make sure students are wearing their ties. I know...this sounds crazy but anyone who attends LECOM knows that this is true. Rules are fine, we all must abide, but c'mon guys don't you wanna train somewhere that's more pleasant? The purpose of this thread is to give you guys a very real perspective of what to expect at LECOM...and it's not a pleasant one.

One thing I don't get, if LECOM is just in it for the money, why is tuition so low? It's not much more than my state school.

FutureDocDO said:

I agree. Those numbers are quite disturbing. I have had previous issues with LECOM and their treatment towards their applicants, but to throw a statistic like that on top of my already negative opinion is a bit much.

That's great for the people that are going to LECOM and love it, good for you. You should enjoy the institution that you are attending. However, I have not had a positive experience in my application to LECOM so far, and in looking at their low pass rate in addition to that I have decided to pull my application. I don't plan on investing four years of my money and time at an institution with stats like that.

Some people may think differently, or say that it depends on the individual student. Yet my point remains the same. It's four years of classwork, study time, and stress...I want to be sure that I reap the benefits of it and get the preparation necessary to pass my boards. I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post, although some probably will be since this is such a touchy topic; but you have to be honest in this situation and see that "personal opinion" ends where the numbers begin.

Another question:

If LECOM is really that bad, does it carry over to LECOM-Bradenton, or is the administration seperate etc. etc.

Duchess said:
I agree. Those numbers are quite disturbing. I have had previous issues with LECOM and their treatment towards their applicants, but to throw a statistic like that on top of my already negative opinion is a bit much.

That's great for the people that are going to LECOM and love it, good for you. You should enjoy the institution that you are attending. However, I have not had a positive experience in my application to LECOM so far, and in looking at their low pass rate in addition to that I have decided to pull my application. I don't plan on investing four years of my money and time at an institution with stats like that.

Some people may think differently, or say that it depends on the individual student. Yet my point remains the same. It's four years of classwork, study time, and stress...I want to be sure that I reap the benefits of it and get the preparation necessary to pass my boards. I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post, although some probably will be since this is such a touchy topic; but you have to be honest in this situation and see that "personal opinion" ends where the numbers begin.

Sure I agree their admissions office is grossly understaffed which makes the process kind of odd. However, the admissions office are very friendly people- it's not really their fault.

What I find interesting here is everyone wants a med school with high board passing rates. Although I understand this completely, I went to an undergrad. institution with a very high medical school matriculation rate. However, I did not feel at all prepared to do well on the MCAT. In the end, it was up to the individual to study for the MCAT.

Med school is the same thing. In the end, it's up to you to study for the boards.

Dr Trek 1 said:
Sure I agree their admissions office is grossly understaffed which makes the process kind of odd. However, the admissions office are very friendly people- it's not really their fault.

What I find interesting here is everyone wants a med school with high board passing rates. Although I understand this completely, I went to an undergrad. institution with a very high medical school matriculation rate. However, I did not feel at all prepared to do well on the MCAT. In the end, it was up to the individual to study for the MCAT.

Med school is the same thing. In the end, it's up to you to study for the boards.

An institution's board pass rate is a direct representation of their structure and quality. A great institution will keep a close eye on things and will fix the problem before the COMLEX rolls around.

Do you realize that 1 out of ever 4 people fail their boards at LECOM. This is horrible.

Steel_City said:
An institution's board pass rate is a direct representation of their structure and quality. A great institution will keep a close eye on things and will fix the problem before the COMLEX rolls around.

Do you realize that 1 out of ever 4 people fail their boards at LECOM. This is horrible.
Someone from lecom scored the highest in the nation on comlex a couple years ago!

allendo said:
Someone from lecom scored the highest in the nation on comlex a couple years ago!

Believe me, there's a stud in every class. That just means that the three people sitting next to him all failed the exam. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.