DO OB/GYN residencies and abortion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeOBGYN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this topic but haven't found anything, so apologies if it is a repeat. Does anybody know how I can find out whether DO OB/GYN residency programs teach how to do abortions? I think it is an important skill to have, whether you plan to do it on a regular basis or only in the case of emergencies, and would prefer not to go somewhere that is going to push their religious beliefs on my education. All I've heard so far is that one of the NY programs doesn't perform or teach them and won't even give out or discuss birth control pills, but I don't know which one it was. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, how do you figure out which programs are the best? There aren't any rankings I can find, but I've heard that the more competitive programs won't interview students who didn't do an elective, so how am I supposed to know which programs to set up rotations with? In fact, how does anybody get a residency when they can only do 4-5 rotations and no other programs will give an interview? Thanks!

SIDE NOTE: I don't intend to start a war on the subject of abortion, I just want to know which programs are open to teaching about ALL areas of ob/gyn. Everyone is free to have their opinions. I'm not trying to force mine on anybody, so please don't attempt to shove yours down anybody's throat either. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
....Does anybody know how I can find out whether DO OB/GYN residency programs teach how to do abortions?....

It's not a DO specific thing. It's a residency specific thing. The OB/Gyn residents at my hospital don't even train to do them because it has a Catholic affiliation. They can go elsewhere and learn if they so desire.

FYI, abortions aren't done at any of the hospitals in my area. A doc was murdered a few years back by anti-abortionists. There is a clinic in town that flies in a guy from NJ to do them once a week. Yes, there is always a huge picket line outside, and a police presence every week, but it never gets rowdy anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a difference between elective and medically necessary D&Es / S&Cs, IE: there are plenty of IUFDs, in which case an S&C is necessary to prevent serious complications.

So I would think most programs would ensure your competence in the basics of D&E / S&C, but your expeience might be limited to the medically necessary cases. There's not a whole lot of TECHNICAL difference between doing a D&C / S&C on a 14 weeker vs a 34 weeker, so I'm sure if you have the desire apply your basic skills to larger volumes of viable human flesh, electives could provide you with adequate experience, depending on if you prefer sodium solutions or a good ol' fashioned brain scramble. Or if you ... [phwu]
Sorry, just threw up in my mouth.

A doc was murdered a few years back by anti-abortionists.

Got to love the irony there. Those people are murders and blatant terrorists. I went to a big research undergrad, and we had to deal with animal protection NUTS who would honestly try to harm talented, human scientists who were researching complex diseases simply because SOME of them were testing (humanely) on animals. My favorite highlights include dousing a professor's house with gas and lighting it on fire (with his wife and kids in there) and sending another researcher razor blades tainted with HIV infected blood.

I understand the ethical issues in both cases, but honestly this type of extremism just bugs me.

Unfortunately these extreme cases always seem to happen to pushover or non-violent doctors/scientists. I know if that ever happened to me and my future family, I would be the first one out there with a bat going to town on these hippies. I have zero patience or sympathy towards people with those kind of extreme views. But ya unfortunately it seems they never piss off the "wrong" person. Oh well, their day will come eventually lol

Unfortunately these extreme cases always seem to happen to pushover or non-violent doctors/scientists. I know if that ever happened to me and my future family, I would be the first one out there with a bat going to town on these hippies. I have zero patience or sympathy towards people with those kind of extreme views. But ya unfortunately it seems they never piss off the "wrong" person. Oh well, their day will come eventually lol

... I don't think it's the hippies who are killing the abortion providers >.> Just sayin'.

Jesus. Where did you go to school? I've lived in the bay area (a lot of pro-animal activists) and have never heard something like that going on.

A UC down south of the bay!!! Of course these cases weren't the norm, but they were a big deal around campus when they happened and we had professors talk to us about it and stuff. Just really unfortunate because I'm sure there are a lot of rational people out there who are against testing on animals (but these individuals give them a horrible name) and it's also unfortunate that a. some people think that these scientists are harming animals for no reason (when they are actually very respectful AND the science is used to cure countless human ailments) and b. people think borderline terrorism and violence is the answer.

A UC down south of the bay!!! Of course these cases weren't the norm, but they were a big deal around campus when they happened and we had professors talk to us about it and stuff. Just really unfortunate because I'm sure there are a lot of rational people out there who are against testing on animals (but these individuals give them a horrible name) and it's also unfortunate that a. some people think that these scientists are harming animals for no reason (when they are actually very respectful AND the science is used to cure countless human ailments) and b. people think borderline terrorism and violence is the answer.
Wow. I wonder why I never heard about this. Setting someone's house on fire while there are kids inside IS terrorism. I hope the schools have been able to protect faculty more since said incidents.

Medical students for choice is a huge help! I've been looking into the same issues as well. What I know is that any program that is a Ryan Residency Training Programs has the tools and knowledge to properly train you in abortion techniques. Although when I emailed for the list of Ryan programs...I'm almost positive that there weren't any DO residencies on that list. It's going to be something that we have to seek out and ask in during the residency interview process - in addition to that though. If you're a member of MSFC then they have an externship in which you can work side-by-side with a health care professional who does perform abortions to learn the techniques from them (check out their website for more information!) And message me if you want me to email you the list of residencies that are Ryan Residency Training programs, I'd love to help out!

Medical students for choice is a huge help! I've been looking into the same issues as well. What I know is that any program that is a Ryan Residency Training Programs has the tools and knowledge to properly train you in abortion techniques. Although when I emailed for the list of Ryan programs...I'm almost positive that there weren't any DO residencies on that list. It's going to be something that we have to seek out and ask in during the residency interview process - in addition to that though. If you're a member of MSFC then they have an externship in which you can work side-by-side with a health care professional who does perform abortions to learn the techniques from them (check out their website for more information!) And message me if you want me to email you the list of residencies that are Ryan Residency Training programs, I'd love to help out!

The externship is a really cool opportunity. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of that.