DO ophtho grads into AMA fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CentralSerous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
Long-time reader, first-time poster. Just wondering if anyone knows if graduates of a DO ophtho residency (Not DOs in an AMA program but actual graduates of an AOA ophtho program) can matriculate into AMA post-residency fellowships, similar to the fellowship positions like retina, glaucoma, etc that are listed on the SFMatch site?
The biggest reason I have sought an AMA ophtho position was for future subspeciality fellowships. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

As a graduate from an AOA ophtho residency you can match for ACGME fellowships. If you are bright and hardworking that is.

I don't know about some of the other smaller programs, but in my program there is opportunity to work with excellent attendings during subspecialty rotations at local ACGME programs. Besides great training one can become involved in research and secure excellent reference letters.

Of the last 2 graduating classes, one resident went on to do glaucoma at Kresge and is now on staff there, and one resident is doing peds fellowship there. Other grads from my program have done fellowships in retina, neuro, cornea, and oculoplastics. One relatively recent grad did both peds and oculoplastics, and one of my attendings who went through my program did both neuro and retina. Over the years my program grads have gone on to train locally as well as at institutions such as Wills, Mass Eye & Ear, and Hopkins.