Top Glaucoma Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidxavi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since this topic came up and there isn't much of a definitive answer from searching.
I'm curious in cultivating a list of the best glaucoma fellowships. Duke and Bascom are obviously the big two that come up. What other programs would you consider in the top 10 glaucoma fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

'Best' will mean different things to different people and what their priorities are (research heavy vs no research, private practice vs academic). Wilmer, Duke, Bascom, WashU, Colorado, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Utah come to mind. UNC, UC Davis, and Iowa are also solid. I'm certainly leaving some great programs out. There are great glaucoma/anterior segment private practice fellowships like Vance Thompson. Personally don't know as much about the northeast programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do fellowships take ophthalmologists who are in practice for a few years? I heard of someone going into a good pediatric ophthalmology fellowship about 15 years after a decent residency.

Do fellowships take ophthalmologists who are in practice for a few years? I heard of someone going into a good pediatric ophthalmology fellowship about 15 years after a decent residency.
Absolutely. That's ideal. They can be trusted to see patients alone and attendings can focus on surgical teaching. Clinical maturity is an asset for fellowship. Retina is a bit different maybe because they care about how many surgical years you have left with buckles etc

I was going to say Toronto until I looked it up and Dr. Ahmed is in Utah now. The above list is solid, would probably add Wills and Casey.

I'll disagree about fellowships taking practicing docs as it's not very common in academia at least. In my experience it's places like private practice groups that are less desirable/prestigious. Nothing wrong with that, you can still get very good training.

I was going to say Toronto until I looked it up and Dr. Ahmed is in Utah now. The above list is solid, would probably add Wills and Casey.

I'll disagree about fellowships taking practicing docs as it's not very common in academia at least. In my experience it's places like private practice groups that are less desirable/prestigious. Nothing wrong with that, you can still get very good training.
I would argue that it's not very common for practicing docs to want to apply to a academic fellowship to begin with as their goal is typically skill acquisition and not publications/academic careers

I would argue that it's not very common for practicing docs to want to apply to a academic fellowship to begin with as their goal is typically skill acquisition and not publications/academic careers
We’re saying the same thing. It’s a self-selecting population with a goal of mostly community practice, so they go somewhere that mimics this. As I said, you can get very good training at some of those fellowships, but the thread title is “top” programs, and they are more in the category of “solid”.

He's not at Utah full time

Would disagree with most of this list. Many are not what they used to be - especially places like UCSC, UCD, and Oklahoma. Different places do different things well, depends on what you're looking for.

Utah, WashU, Duke, and Wilmer are generally considered excellent. I'd throw Colorado, Baylor, UAB, Toronto, and Minnesota Eye in as some other very good ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Would disagree with most of this list. Many are not what they used to be - especially places like UCSC, UCD, and Oklahoma. Different places do different things well, depends on what you're looking for.

Utah, WashU, Duke, and Wilmer are generally considered excellent. I'd throw Colorado, Baylor, UAB, Toronto, and Minnesota Eye in as some other very good ones.

I agree that these lists always change. My co-resident interviewed at most of these places recently. Mass Eye and Ear had higher surgical numbers over Duke and Wilmer. Wilmer had some faculty members leave.