DO ortho resident interested in plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snooze7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've googled and read the "pathways to plastic surgery" and understand that, in the allopathic world, an orthopedic surgery resident can, upon graduation, apply for and complete a plastics residency of 2 additional years.

I am uncertain, however, if an equivalent process is available to DO ortho residents at an osteopathic ortho residency (such as myself) looking to ultimately do plastics.
Also, is a DO from an osteopathic ortho program limited only to those plastics positions offered by the AOA (the DO governing board), or can I/we also apply to the numerous other 2 year plastics residency positions offered to the allopathic residents?
Finally, do any of you know of another resident/physician who may have gone this route instead of Gsurg or integrated route?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I've googled and read the "pathways to plastic surgery" and understand that, in the allopathic world, an orthopedic surgery resident can, upon graduation, apply for and complete a plastics residency of 2 additional years.

I am uncertain, however, if an equivalent process is available to DO ortho residents at an osteopathic ortho residency (such as myself) looking to ultimately do plastics.
Also, is a DO from an osteopathic ortho program limited only to those plastics positions offered by the AOA (the DO governing board), or can I/we also apply to the numerous other 2 year plastics residency positions offered to the allopathic residents?
Finally, do any of you know of another resident/physician who may have gone this route instead of Gsurg or integrated route?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Any reason why you're looking to switch?

Not so much a switch, but an addition to. We do quite a bit of reconstructive work with our trauma attending in conjunction with our plastics attendings and the mix seems to be a natural one. I do, however, love the type of surgery (cosmetic and otherwise), the patient population, the aesthetic aspect and the lifestyle of the plastics guys.

All in all, I went into ortho instead of Gsurg simply because I like ortho much more than the latter and had the CV to do it. Now that I have had some pretty decent exposure to plastics, I'm sold on it as a career and would love to be able to combine my ortho knowledge with that of a plastic surgeon. Let's face it, Gsurg will give you a few months on plastics as will ortho if you're at the right institution. Neither, however, is saturated with plastics through residency and both, from what I can tell, give you a pretty good shot at plastics. I'm just curious as to the viability of my options coming from ortho rather than Gsurg as it is tough to find people who have done it.