Do OT programs only look at the GPA at the time of applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karixel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to apply to OT programs this fall and I'm currently a junior in undergrad. Do my grades senior year not get accounted in then? And what if I'm still completing prereqs senior year? Will they not accept applications because I'm not done with prereqs by the time I apply?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your senior grades definitely count; you'll send out an update after you get your fall grades, then your spring grades :)

A lot of schools give priority to people who have already completed them. I don't know what your experience is in volunteer but make sure that you do mostly inpatient..they don't want to see that you've done just outpatient cushy stuff like hand therapy. 80% of the new job openings are working with the Geriatric population.

And yes, the above response is correct, maybe at the time they initially review the application they won't see them but there final decision will be based on all of your senior grades too as you'll get a chance to update you're grades at some 'academic update period' or something.

If you don't get enough of the pre-reqs done in time then you probably won't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think for the most part, I'm missing one or two prereqs. I'm missing developmental psych for most programs. Will that be a problem?

Schools will initially only look at your GPA at the time of applying, but will likely require you to send them updated transcripts each semester. If your grades fall, they will notice and you may no longer be eligible.

Some programs require that certain (or all) prerequisites be finished or currently enrolled at the time of applying. Others only require that they are finished before the start date of the program. Those programs will want you to submit a written plan of when and how you will complete your remaining prereqs. If you are accepted but then don't finish a prereq in time you will be dropped. You'll need to check with each school to determine their policy. If this information isn't explicit on their website, call or e-mail an advisor.

Make every effort to complete pre-preqs as soon as possible. Schools are more likely to accept a student who has demonstrated their performance vs. an unknown. If all you are missing is dev-psych, that isn't too bad, but take it this summer or fall if you can. I've heard that schools are most interested in your A&P grades since A&P is closer to the difficulty level of grad school than most other pre-reqs.

Keep in mind that you have the option to take a year after graduation to work, volunteer, and finish any remaining pre-reqs. All these things will give your application a big boost.