Do other peoples assesments of yourself carry external validity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acronym1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation presented below:

Say I don't have a clear perception of my abilities as a thinker, yet I encounter people on a daily basis praising me for exactly that. Some qualifed, some not. In fact, most people view me as intellectually gifted.

Suppose then that I take an IQ test and achieve a rock solid average of a 100 IQ.

Question: Which assesment holds the greatest external validity in your opinion?

How do we derive objective truths about ourselves? Are we only left with achievement measures?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IQ tests predict academic achievement fairly well but are less predictive of other outcome measures such as financial attainment. One individual's perception of others' appraisals of said individual's cognitive ability is impossible to quantify in a meaningful way.

One individual's perception of others' appraisals of said individual's cognitive ability is impossible to quantify in a meaningful way.

But which measure would you trust?

This is a bad example since appearence is somewhat subjective, but I did not concider myself particularly good looking, until a classically beautiful girl was attracted to my face, by her own admission. It would seem to me from that experience that a logical inference is that I am indeed above average in appearance, since she was a stunner.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On the matter of percieved intelligence, I would love to chat with a historic thinker to see how intellectually rewarding he/she finds it. That is the ultimate measure in my eyes.

This is a bad example since appearence is somewhat subjective, but I did not concider myself particularly good looking, until a classically beautiful girl was attracted to my face, by her own admission. It would seem to me from that experience that a logical inference is that I am indeed above average in appearance, since she was a stunner.
For attractiveness, the only measure we really have is subjective opinions. Cognitive ability can be tested in many ways. If you were asking a serious question about subjective appraisals of intelligence and their accuracy as measured by correlations with other measures. That could be evaluated fairly simply. Not sure how much research has been done on that already, but if you are interested, then looking at that research will likely be more productive than pure thought experiments.

On the matter of percieved intelligence, I would love to chat with a historic thinker to see how intellectually rewarding he/she finds it. That is the ultimate measure in my eyes.
So you want to talk to a historical figure to see what they think of you? Oy.

So you want to talk to a historical figure to see what they think of you? Oy.

I think it's more that they want to talk to a historical figure, e.g. Plato, to see what they think about being regarded as so intelligent.

Hypothetical situation presented below:

Say I don't have a clear perception of my abilities as a thinker, yet I encounter people on a daily basis praising me for exactly that. Some qualifed, some not. In fact, most people view me as intellectually gifted.

Suppose then that I take an IQ test and achieve a rock solid average of a 100 IQ.

Question: Which assesment holds the greatest external validity in your opinion?

How do we derive objective truths about ourselves? Are we only left with achievement measures?

I think you're mistaken about some words and concepts here. The casual appraisals people in your daily life are making of your intelligence or other qualities are inherently subjective. It's their opinion that you are intelligent. What they are basing it on is not necessarily consistent, is not based on the same observations/phenomena, nor does it inherently mean the same thing. Some know you better than others, some don't see certain behavior, etc.

Thus, you're also misusing the term "external validity." There is none in this case, as these "assessments" or opinions are just about you, and can't be generalized to any other group, nor can your personal weighting of these opinions against each other or against your assessed IQ.

And what do you mean by "objective truth about ourselves?" What "truths" are you looking for?

Again, you're mixing terms and ideas here. It would simply be this "classically beautiful girl's" opinion that you are attractive, which is, again, inherently subjective. Just because someone you deem to be beautiful or "stunning" finds you attractive does not mean you are suddenly objectively attractive by the transitive property or something. It's still just a subjective opinion, as is the idea of "classic beauty," which is fraught with sociocultural variables. Subjective and objective are categorically different and you can't transform one into the other, especially based on something like someone embodying that quality you value judging you to also have that quality.

Similarly, just because someone you believe to be intellectually gifted (or even someone who has a high FSIQ) thinks you are gifted does not suddenly mean you are also intellectually gifted.

They can be true in general of the specific person, or not. If they carry external validity, the truth of a persons intelligence is manifested for the entire population, and not just the fabric of someones illusions (the person is not gifted).

The case was hypotethical, yet you refer to me. Better look up hypothetical.

Last edited:
Again, you're mixing terms and ideas here. It would simply be this "classically beautiful girl's" opinion that you are attractive, which is, again, inherently subjective. .

I said it was a bad example. No need to harp on it. That being said, the perception of beauty has been found to be fairly universal and that's been my experience with other women too. I did not think however that my looks were to the effect of drawing attention to itself from a very beautiful girl who even got nervous in my presence. I did not figure it was at that level.

They can be true in general of the specific person, or not. If they carry external validity, the truth of a persons intelligence is manifested for the entire population, and not just the fabric of someones illusions (the person is not gifted).

I hope you know that that quote is not attributable to me. That was psych.meout.

Wow.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. It's a car crash of a conversation.

I raised the issue from a study in which it was found that other peoples assements (for an example friends) of one self tended to be more far more accurate. The conclusion was that people tended to under or overestimate themselves. I don't recall how this was established.

Members don't see this ad :)
I raised the issue from a study in which it was found that other peoples assements (for an example friends) of one self tended to be more far more accurate. The conclusion was that people tended to under or overestimate themselves. I don't recall how this was established.
Ok, we're not friends, but my assessment is that this is a car crash of a conversation.

It would appear that the Dunning-Kruger effect is in full swing here.

Yep, especially if you include this with the other threads about gender differences in intelligence and parapsychology.

Reactions: 1 user
It would appear that the Dunning-Kruger effect is in full swing here.

Are you only capable of burping out technical terms? The Dunning-Kruger effect is the exact opposite, since I inferred from experience, things that were opposite to my previously held beliefs.

I have no use for this forum. Bye!

Reactions: 2 users
Are you only capable of burping out technical terms? The Dunning-Kruger effect is the exact opposite, since I inferred from experience, things that were opposite to my previously held beliefs.
You might have proved Wis' point with this statement. Try taking an external view of yourself and see what happens.

That's not what the Dunning Kruger effect is, but it is a good example of irony.

Welp, as a thought experiment I opened this thread. My previous perception of my intelligence is no longer valid.

So to answer OP's question through my experiment, there is poor validity for self-conceptualizations of 'smarts'.

This seems like a good thread for me to brag about my high IQ and good looks. :)

External validity means that results from one instance, typically an experiment when used in psychology, can be generalized to a population. As stated in another post above the OP is misusing the term. Also, the OP is implying that validity is whether or not something is more "true" which is the lay definition as opposed to the scientific definition of validity. Just wanted to clarify this for any potential undergrad student readers who are just learning these concepts.

This is the funniest thread in recent history.

OP postulates other people's perceptions have more "external validity" than objective tests. Users disagree. OP thinks users' perceptions hold no "external validity".

Wow, sort of bit my own tail off with that. Lol :(

I guess, in the city of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Last edited:
That's okay. These days, someone else would've bitten it off, if you didn't. Rough times (pun intended).

A good tail is like a good cigar. Sometimes the beginning is the best part. Sometimes the end is just a lot of ash and smoke. And, the audience is left to cough a lot.