How do you interact with others in the profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrackCPD

Reaction score
I work in a hospital setting and have several colleagues I speak to. But I don’t network outside of that realm much at all.

Other than this site, how else do you interact with others in our field? Do you attend conferences regularly? Other websites, forums, listservs? Do you regularly read journals or other publications?

My experience with psychology websites is they are inundated with people who have mental health issues rather than fellow psychologists. Conferences seem to be geared more toward students and those in academia. Am I missing a source of engagement somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

The few conferences I attend seem to have a good number of psychologists present, so that's one way I meet folks and keep in touch with those I already know. State listservs and meetings and professional (interest-specific) listservs are another way, and these will sometimes have posts from folks who set up their own regular (e.g., monthly) meetings for things like early-career discussion, private practice interests, case conference, or journal clubs. And then, sometimes, just cold-calling other psychologists in the community to see if they want to get lunch sometime.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Listservs and local conferences usually. I used to have monthly board meetings when I was on the board of a psych org. I chat with VA colleagues from the hospital on Teams.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Listservs- it’s like a low effort version of being taught by the superstars in our field. Especially if you use niche listservs and filter by name.

2) Friends. I’m legitimately friends with my peers AND supervisors from fellowship. With supervisors, it was a bit strange to transition from student to friend.

3) reading. I read A LOT. Multiple journals, a few trade publications, lots of books, some google alerts for specific tags (including names) related to my interests. Sometimes request articles from the author. Cheap as in free. Sometimes they can answer some questions or point you in a new direction. Some of that has led to collegial lunches at conferences.

4) Non-psychological peers. I’ve asked and been allowed to shadow family medicine, internal medicine, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, PMR, general surgery, etc. It’s been a great way to learn, and to get referrals.

5) Conferences. I always wait until the schedule comes out. Some conferences have useless content that seem focused on self promotion of research, or impractical information.

6) Smaller local associations for content in which I’m not interested. Usually they will be inviting. Sometimes they’ll have a presentation that’s pseudoscientific, which reduces any imposter syndrome stuff.

7) I read the licensing boards news, or alerts, or whatever they call it.

8) I go to non psychology conferences when they have interesting content or they are in places in which I want to vacation.

Reactions: 6 users
Joining committees within organizations that you like is a good way to stay connected to others in the field and work on something that interests you.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Listservs- it’s like a low effort version of being taught by the superstars in our field. Especially if you use niche listservs and filter by name.
What's the scoop on these listservs? I've looked around and I've never found one that's active in 2023. Care to share?

What's the scoop on these listservs? I've looked around and I've never found one that's active in 2023. Care to share?

Depends on your niche. Many of the divisions have one, or a somewhat affiliated one. The bigger specialty orgs probably have them as well.

I agree, specifics on where to find some would be appreciated.

Just adding to the chorus above: pretty much all of the listservs I'm on are through specialty practice organizations or my state psych association.

Some organizations have also moved from listserv format to forums or something similar.

Do you know the name of any of the forums? As I mentioned earlier, the ones I find tend to be filled with people with mental health issues talking about their problems and less with colleagues in the field.

I agree, specifics on where to find some would be appreciated.
I guess the trick is to find an organization/association that mirrors your interests (e.g., a certain type of therapy, more science-based organizations, more broad-practice based organizations, teaching).

As a student, it can be helpful to get involved in student leadership positions within whatever APA Division(s; although I would recommend starting with one) is most applicable to your interests. I did this early in my training and found it to have opened up a lot of doors, professionally, for me -- I'm not currently involved in Division leadership but still have a solid network of peers, colleagues, etc. from the time I invested earlier in my training... FWIW, I found "volunteer leadership" easier to justify as a graduate student / trainee since most things I was doing at that time was essentially done on a volunteer basis.