Do people call podiatrists physician like they do for MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know podiatrists are doctors; however, I dont know if the public call them physicians like they do for MD/DO. Do you guys call yourself physician?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never called myself. What exactly is your point? Are you trying to prove something or just bust balls?

Why don't you look up Medicare's definition of "physician" and you'll find your answer.

Last edited:
I've never called anyone a "physician" before to be honest. It is a word that doesn't seem to get much use up here and it is mainly only encountered in print. Probably because it gets so little use I think the word is a bit misunderstood, and people don't really know the difference between a "doctor" and a "physician". If forced to distinguish the two I think most people would assume a physician is a lesser position.

Which is why I always find the "who can use the term physician" discussions a bit amusing. :rolleyes:

My 2 cents which may be wrong:

Physician is a legal term. It is used in Medicaid and Medicare laws to mean MD and DO and DPM for medicare, but only in some states is DPM included in Medicaid.

Physician in everyday language is usually meant to describe a doctor that practices medicine as opposed to surgery. Hence the name of one of the oldest med schools in the country Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. The surgeon part was added later once surgeons were actually trained the same as physicians, and not just "blood letters".

The term doctor can be used for anyone who completes a doctoral level of training: MD, DO, DPM, DVM, JD, PhD ( I can't think of any more at the moment)

As long as I get to practice and do what I have been trained to do, I don't care what people call me. Physician, Surgeon, Hey you....