Do people normally carry around a professional looking bag/briefcase during the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredentist(hopefully)

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of luggage i plan on leaving that at the place im staying over night or checking it in with the schools. but how bout laptops, notepads, pens,phone? should i carry that by hand the entire day or buy myself a professional looking bag? my interview is on wednesday next week so fast responses would be nice so that i can place the order lol. or should i not even carry anything with me

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interview day essentials? Portfolio, resume, etc.
^

At my interviews, I didn't see anyone with a bag; girls have purses and guys have long pockets for their phone. Don't bring a laptop...pens and notepads you can keep in a padfolio as discussed in that thread above, but you honestly don't need anything (unless required by the school, like UCLA, USC, and Case have things they want you to bring to your interview).

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t seen anyone carrying a bag. Padfolios are pretty common to hold a notebook and pens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second keeping a notebook, pen/ padfolios. It would pretty awkward during the information presentation if you were the only person sitting there not taking notes about the school (or atleast pretending to take notes) because you didn't have the stuff to takes notes on.

Is it acceptable to pre write a list of questions to ask, and then pull it out when it is your turn to ask questions?

I brought:
- A leather portfolio folder which contained a single pen, the paper handouts I was given during the day, and some scratch paper
- A cautious sense of optimism and excitement

Reactions: 2 users
Most people brought those portfolios to write notes. Haven’t seen bags really.

Is it acceptable to pre write a list of questions to ask, and then pull it out when it is your turn to ask questions?
You can write them down but I wouldn't pull them out during your interview. Write them down the day before/morning of and keep repeating them so you can remember what they are. Then ask them during your interview (keep them to like 2-3 max) and remember what your interviewer says and write their answers down after your interview (I wouldn't do it during the interview but that's just me...)

For some, I asked if I can pull it out so I wouldn't miss an important question. They didn't seem to mind. I asked my prehealth advisors and they mentioned it's totally fine. Just don't write down your notes in front of them or take a long time looking at it.

I brought a little briefcase looking bag thing my sister got me to my interviews. Its convenient for holding your notebook, resume and the information packets they give you. I even got a compliment about it at one of my interviews.

I wouldn’t bring anything tbh, the padfolio/briefcase thing seems a bit excessive imo. Every school gives you a folder that likely has a pen in it and something to write on so that’s all you need to be carrying around really.