DO Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothless rufus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, y'all!

Ok, at the PS prompt for AAMCOS:

13. Personal Comments/Personal Statement

This section should be used to complete any questions that require additional space. If you answer “Other” to question 9, or “Skilled trades (other)”, “Health care related (other)”, or “All others” to question 12, explain fully in this section. You may also provide a brief explanation of your goals. We encourage you to provide your motivation for applying to the field of osteopathic medicine in this section.

Questions:
I just planned on using my MD PS (whittled down from 5000 to 3000 words :( ) until I read the above statement. Must I address motivation for osteopathic medicine? I have some 'splainin' to do for my glorious academic
history, and with this paltry word limit, I cannot get DO motivations in their also. Any input? Which is most important?

Thanks!
Allen (future C.D)*

*Chippendale's Dancer

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's important to put in your PS your motivations for osteopathic medicine, or at least demonstrate that you understand what it is and why you are interested in it. This is a question that you will also get repeatedly during interviews and they can look at your PS and see if you really understand osteopathic medicine or whether you are using it as a backup for allopathic.

In all honesty, osteopathy would be my first choice. In theory, their philosophy most closely mirrors my own, but in practice, there seems to be little difference. Having worked with a few DOs, the only actual difference seems to be OMT (which seems really cool), and most didn't seem to use it, or had trouble billing for it. MD, DO, who cares? I just wish to become a physician of service, by whatever route.

Members don't see this ad :)
toothless rufus said:
Hello, y'all!

Ok, at the PS prompt for AAMCOS:

13. Personal Comments/Personal Statement

This section should be used to complete any questions that require additional space. If you answer “Other” to question 9, or “Skilled trades (other)”, “Health care related (other)”, or “All others” to question 12, explain fully in this section. You may also provide a brief explanation of your goals. We encourage you to provide your motivation for applying to the field of osteopathic medicine in this section.

Questions:
I just planned on using my MD PS (whittled down from 5000 to 3000 words :( ) until I read the above statement. Must I address motivation for osteopathic medicine? I have some 'splainin' to do for my glorious academic
history, and with this paltry word limit, I cannot get DO motivations in their also. Any input? Which is most important?

Thanks!
Allen (future C.D)*

Keep in mind that you will be completing secondary applications at most if not all the schools you apply to. Few schools, are selective about who gets a secondary. I think they like your $$$. Generally you will have ample opportunity to address your motivation for OM in your secondary application. It is likely they will ask you to address it directly.

I edited down my AMCAS personal statement and used it for my AACOMAS application. I received interview invitations at all the DO schools I applied to with the exception (strangely) of Touro-NV, which I haven't heard from. I am very primary care focused and that does come out in my personal statement. Your mileage may vary...

I think a custom personal statement directed to your target audience is likely superior to a more general statement, but certainly not necessary. Good luck!

This questions comes up often in the Pre-osteopathic forum. Practically every secondary asks "why DO?". You can't give it fair treatment and answer another question in such few words and still have a strong PS. My PS was about what got me interested in medicine and this seems to be the common theme in the pre-osteopathic forum.

i ditto the others. i did not focus on why do in my aacomas essay. you've got plenty of time to explain that one in secondaries and in interviews.

yep, definately focus on why osteopathic medicine. that's important.

cfdavid said:
yep, definately focus on why osteopathic medicine. that's important.

still disagree. the character limit is too short for you to adequately explain why medicine and then why osteopathic medicine, imo. it is important to be able to explain why osteopathic medicine, but i don't think aacomas is the best vehicle for the explanation. hey, i didn't discuss it and have had six do interviews and five acceptances (the adcom for the sixth is meeting on monday).

o.k. perhaps you're correct. in fact, looking back, i used the secondaries for why DO.

Ok, I decided to be short and sweet. Here is my DO PS:

"I like osteopathy as its real neat."

Hoo! A real knee slapper, eh? I am going to follow the example of those who addressed "why DO" later, as that allows me to address "why medicine", and provide what else I think is pertinent. I wonder why they have such a short word limit? Do they not place as much emphasis on the PS as MD programs?

toothless rufus said:
...Do they not place as much emphasis on the PS as MD programs?

Thats a good question. I've had 7 interviews so far, 3 DO and 4 MD, without a single question about my PS. Either my PS is so good that it says all that needs to be said, or it's so bad no one knows what to say. Or maybe they don't care. :D

toothless rufus said:
I'm gonna go with the latter. ;)

me, too. :) i had one question about my ps at one interview. it makes me wonder why i put all that effort into it. i've gotta add that i've also never received questions about secondary essays.