Do Pharmacy Schools like Minorities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k15elkaio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 50% native Hawaiian and was wondering if pharmacy schools look for minorities for their incoming classes? Is this something that makes you unique or could they care less? Just wondering...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 50% native Hawaiian and was wondering if pharmacy schools look for minorities for their incoming classes? Is this something that makes you unique or could they care less? Just wondering...
Hopefully they do! Considering I'm also a minority. 100% Cuban. But I've been living 15 years in the US.

I am a minority as well. If you mention it in your personal statement in a good way, it will help you. That's what I did. Also, I talked about it during my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a minority as well. If you mention it in your personal statement in a good way, it will help you. That's what I did. Also, I talked about it during my interviews.
It's in my personal statement, believe me. :)
What pharm school are you in??

Anyway you can make yourself distinct and unique from your other competitors in getting in, go for it :) What may seem like the "norm" to you, may be unique to the admissions committee reading your information.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm technically a "minority" but you wouldn't think that seeing as I'm indian and going into healthcare. :p:p:p:p

That being said, I didn't bother specifying I was a minority anywhere (they could see that themselves when I interviewed). I don't think it'd really help or hurt your chances unless you're somehow able to tie in the minority aspect of your life into an advantage. I don't know, though. Just my 2c

They don't discriminate, they only care that you can secure $200k+ in loans for their tuition bill.

Last edited:

In general if you are a woman (I see you are not) and a minority, it can be a strength. Otherwise, you want to be a Black or Mexican male, with Blacks getting the biggest "curves" in their application for being a minority.

I'm technically a "minority" but you wouldn't think that seeing as I'm indian and going into healthcare. :p:p:p:p

That being said, I didn't bother specifying I was a minority anywhere (they could see that themselves when I interviewed). I don't think it'd really help or hurt your chances unless you're somehow able to tie in the minority aspect of your life into an advantage. I don't know, though. Just my 2c
Are you Native American or do you trace your ancestry from the Indian subcontinent? Because the former gets you a sweet full-ride scholarship via the Feds while the latter doesn't really help you much.

Are you Native American or do you trace your ancestry from the Indian subcontinent? Because the former gets you a sweet full-ride scholarship via the Feds while the latter doesn't really help you much.

The indian subcontinent, so I don't get any perks in school. Mostly just get eye rolls when I tell people I'm going into pharmacy/healthcare field cause I'm yet another Indian going into that field haha