DO PhD funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MahlerROCKS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm considering pursuing a Do Phd, but one criticism of osteopathic medicine is that it does nto focuse enough on research. After searching the five schools that offer a DO PhD, MSUCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, OSUCOM, OU-COM, and UNTHSC, it appears that only UMDNJ offers funding for the entire program. Does anyone know what the funding situation is at the other schools?

Also, I know UNECOM and TUCOM have thought about starting Do Phd programs; if any of you have information I would truly appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

TCOM states its possible you can get it for all years (but I don't know how it works) as well as I know OSU-COM is working on funding for their students. Nothing has been set as of yet to my knowledge.

OU-COM provides funding for all but the first 2 years ... which isn't that bad [Financial support will include a stipend for years 3 through 7 and a tuition waiver during Section 2. Teaching is required to qualify for this financial support during Section 2.] Then again I think if you go to OU-COM, don't you have to file an agree you'll stay in Ohio for residency for 5 years, or something of that nature?

PCOM also has a DO/Ph.D

I also know the KCUMB is working towards a joint degree program but only has a MS right now (and I don't think its considered joint degree) as well as I'm not aware how they will be funding.

The reason UMDNJ-COM has it because of the funding under the UMDNJ umbrella with the 2 MD schools as well as with its graduate programs (Gsb - newark/piscataway/straford) also being at other campus that fall under . UMDNJ is unique in that instance. Although I have heard some complaints about the masters program at UMDNJ so I'm not sure if they would translate into the same issues as the DO/Ph.D. since both (masters/Ph.D.) and fall under the same faculty and guidelines. Also the GSBS is relatively new to the stratford campus as that is my understanding, I know the masters program is only 2 years old and I was informed the DO/Ph.D. has been around a little long but maybe those UMDNJ students could answer exactly how long. I know the actual graduate program started in 1995 on the campus but I'm not sure how many graduates they have actually had from the DO/Ph.D. program as I know they were advertising it in more recent years.

Those are the only schools I know much about the DO/PhD programs as I have considered that route. But as a non-traditional student who knows they want to practice clinical medicine, I'm going to stick with academic clinical medicine hopefully.

OK, I'm considering pursuing a Do Phd, but one criticism of osteopathic medicine is that it does nto focuse enough on research. After searching the five schools that offer a DO PhD, MSUCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, OSUCOM, OU-COM, and UNTHSC, it appears that only UMDNJ offers funding for the entire program. Does anyone know what the funding situation is at the other schools?

Also, I know UNECOM and TUCOM have thought about starting Do Phd programs; if any of you have information I would truly appreciate it
I know someone who is going for their DO/PhD at MSUCOM. NSU is building/going to build a new biomedical research building. UNE is in the process of gathering funds for theirs. Yay! Go research! DrKuba may have some information for you...harmless plug Kuba :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who is going for their DO/PhD at MSUCOM. NSU is building/going to build a new biomedical research building. UNE is in the process of gathering funds for theirs. Yay! Go research! DrKuba may have some information for you...harmless plug Kuba :p

haha, i redirect questions about DO/PhD programs to Snowkhat. But thanks for the plug HOD!

Oh and I just suggest teh OP just does a search for DO/PhD on this forum. I just came up with a ton of all the threads that I had been reading over the past year. Instead of me listing all them just use the search function in the Pre-osteo forum. :luck:

SUch as this thread or this thread

Thank you all so much, part of the reason why I am interested in osteopathic medicine is that osteopathic doctors and students are down to Earth and willing to help others

Thank you all so much, part of the reason why I am interested in osteopathic medicine is that osteopathic doctors and students are down to Earth and willing to help others

Allopathic doctors aren't willing to help others?

I'm just stirring trouble, I know. It's just that occasionally people sell MDs short on this board as if they are in some way inferior (all the while, they're going on and on about how DOs are equal to MDs).

Allopathic doctors aren't willing to help others?

I'm just stirring trouble, I know. It's just that occasionally people sell MDs short on this board as if they are in some way inferior (all the while, they're going on and on about how DOs are equal to MDs).

thats true. I bring up that point a lot. But DO pre-meds do tend to be more down to earth.

thats true. I bring up that point a lot. But DO pre-meds do tend to be more down to earth.

I agree that in general this might be applicable, but I think this is because you will often see less "gunners" and "Type As" at DO schools. Nevertheless, I still feel it is absolutely asinine to go through life believing that MDs are somehow cold and indifferent to their pts., whereas DOs are these friendly, peace-loving heroes.

I've seen it perpetuated here and occasionally by DOs, and this bothers me quite a bit. Hopefully, we can all get past this sort of mindset.

I apologize for completely hijacking this thread, but I just wanted to get that off my chest.

NIH sponsors fundin gfor DO/PhD students but I believe you have to be a URM to qualify.

NIH sponsors fundin gfor DO/PhD students but I believe you have to be a URM to qualify.
Actually DO schools can apply for DO/PhD funding. One of the threads I mentioned should have the link to the NIH page where they state they are open to new schools who are willing to meet their requirements as they apply to their program for grants. As well as other schools while not funding by NIH are still MSTP programs (apparently self-sufficient).

But as you said, they have some GREAT opportunities with NIH for URM's :thumbup: