Do PM&R Programs accept COMLEX scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deistobmore05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the midst of studying for boards and deciding whether or not to take the USMLE, as I go to a D.O. school and registered for the COMLEX step 1. I've been thinking a lot about PM&R and planning an elective this summer in this field. I'm thinking about taking the USMLE primarily because I don't know if most PM&R programs, particularly in the eastern seaboard, accept COMLEX scores. Could anyone please offer some pearls of wisdom to help me decide whether or not it's a good idea to take the USMLE (for all the $$$ and time preparation that goes into it)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I'm not a resident/PD and not the voice for every program out there. Just an OMS3 that came to med school to become a physiatrist.

I've met residents at some of the most popular programs that told me they did not take the usmle.

with that said, I still took the usmle step1. it's $500, but a worthwhile investment I think. Now, as far as step2, I'm only taking the comlex.

Unless some residents from programs speak up here I'd say you'd probably be better off just calling up some programs you would be interested in and get the info straight from them. Unless I hear it from the director or some other official staff I take anything I hear with a grain of salt.

I just decided to go ahead and take it. Especially since I'm not exactly sure what I'd want to go into I just don't want to get to a point where I regret not taking it. What's another $500 at this point? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm in the midst of studying for boards and deciding whether or not to take the USMLE, as I go to a D.O. school and registered for the COMLEX step 1. I've been thinking a lot about PM&R and planning an elective this summer in this field. I'm thinking about taking the USMLE primarily because I don't know if most PM&R programs, particularly in the eastern seaboard, accept COMLEX scores. Could anyone please offer some pearls of wisdom to help me decide whether or not it's a good idea to take the USMLE (for all the $$$ and time preparation that goes into it)? Thanks.

YES! pm&r programs accept comlex scores. i know DO's who have matched at Kessler, RIC, Baylor, Mayo with COMLEX only. if you want to be on the safe side, just take usmle and comlex 1 and 2 incase if you change your mind on the field you want to pursue. it makes life easier for allopathic programs to see the USMLE so they can compare you to allopathic appplicants. but if you are set on pm&r, stick with the comlex only

Yes, pretty much all allo PM&R programs accept the COMLEX. There may be exceptions, but I'm not aware of them. If a DO student decides to take the USMLE – I’ll admit that as an allo grad it makes it easier for me to have a base of comparison. But I’ve seen enough COMLEX scores over the years to recognize a good/bad score when I see one.

If however during the course of your education you change your mind and pursue another field other than PM&R (perish the thought!), a solid USMLE score may prove useful.

If you are dead set on PM&R and are not considering other specialty, then COMLEX is all you need.

good luck

The decison tree for this I believe to be as follows:

Take comlex step 1, see how you do. Did you rock it. Yes? Stop there! Why in the world expose yourself to a unlucky usmle step 1 day plus the $$$ needed? Did you perform so-so on COMLEX -- UNEXPECTEDLY? (i.e. you are normally a good test taker, etc.) then I'd go onto USMLE.

Hi OP,
I just matched to PM&R at Boston University. I did NOT take the USMLE and still got plenty of interviews. There are many programs that PREFER that we take the USMLE, but do not require it. Most California programs prefer the USMLE, and I know for a fact that Loma Linda University will not invite you for an interview unless you have taken at least step I USMLE.

If I were to go back and redo things, I'd still not bother with it. I got over a dozen interviews, mostly east coast, without the USMLE and felt confident going into the Match. If you have specific questions, please feel free to PM me anytime.

Rob

The decison tree for this I believe to be as follows:

Take comlex step 1, see how you do. Did you rock it. Yes? Stop there! Why in the world expose yourself to a unlucky usmle step 1 day plus the $$$ needed? Did you perform so-so on COMLEX -- UNEXPECTEDLY? (i.e. you are normally a good test taker, etc.) then I'd go onto USMLE.

I like that decision tree. It makes a whole lot of sense to me. NYU takes the COMLEX for sure, and if you rock that test you should quit while you're ahead. The test score isn't the be all, end all anyway. It's just another metric, so if you hit a home run in your first at-bat, just take a bow and sit down. But if you struck out the first time, and you know you should have done better, take the USMLE to show off your skills.

I like that decision tree. It makes a whole lot of sense to me. NYU takes the COMLEX for sure, and if you rock that test you should quit while you're ahead. The test score isn't the be all, end all anyway. It's just another metric, so if you hit a home run in your first at-bat, just take a bow and sit down. But if you struck out the first time, and you know you should have done better, take the USMLE to show off your skills.

what is a rocking COMLEX test score? I scored a little less than the average...will I still get good interviews from PM&R programs?
I havent taken USMLE step 1, but a program director recommended taking step 2, while I prepare for step 2 of COMLEX. should I?

Hi OP,
I just matched to PM&R at Boston University. I did NOT take the USMLE and still got plenty of interviews. There are many programs that PREFER that we take the USMLE, but do not require it. Most California programs prefer the USMLE, and I know for a fact that Loma Linda University will not invite you for an interview unless you have taken at least step I USMLE.

If I were to go back and redo things, I'd still not bother with it. I got over a dozen interviews, mostly east coast, without the USMLE and felt confident going into the Match. If you have specific questions, please feel free to PM me anytime.

Rob

While the USMLE isnt essential, I feel that to maximize your competitiveness at the "top" programs, the USMLE can help. PM&R is an allopathic field, and despite the prevalence of DO's in the field, there is still going to be some bias against DO's. By taking the USMLE and doing well on it, you have put yourself on an even playing field with allopathic applicants.

It all depends on where you want to go though... if youre aiming for a top 5 program, take the test. if you want to go to a solid program and dont care to be at one of the so called "big 5", dont worrry about the USMLE.

I took both exams, for both steps. I feel like it helped me secure interviews at top programs that some of my classmates were not offered.

what is a rocking COMLEX test score? I scored a little less than the average...will I still get good interviews from PM&R programs?
I havent taken USMLE step 1, but a program director recommended taking step 2, while I prepare for step 2 of COMLEX. should I?

A 600 is a ridiculous step 1 score. Anything 550+ is a good score.

You could take USMLE Step 2, but it is much much harder than COMLEX 2. A good idea is to take it and see how you do, then submit it to ERAS only if you do well.

I echo the above opinions. I would recommend you take USMLE (step 1 or 2). Also consider taking COMLEX 2 early (before application time). I found studying for this exam much easier than the 1st board exam.

I did not take USMLE. I was told by a PD at an elite program that there was no need to take USMLE if I did well on the COMLEX. My level 1 score was good enough to get me interviews at the top programs, however, I rocked Level 2 (scores returned during interview season), which I feel was one reason why I matched at my program.

PM&R is a specialty that focusses a lot on clinical medicine, and COMLEX 2/USMLE 2 is more clinically focussed than Step/level 1. If you improve your scores on COMLEX 2, program directors will notice. However, taking USMLE step 2 while studying for COMLEX 2, is a pretty good insurance policy. A bunch of my friends took COMLEX 2 and USMLE 2 at the same time and most were happy with the results.

I did not take USMLE. I was told by a PD at an elite program that there was no need to take USMLE if I did well on the COMLEX. My level 1 score was good enough to get me interviews at the top programs, however, I rocked Level 2 (scores returned during interview season), which I feel was one reason why I matched at my program.

This was the advice I was given as well. If your COMLEX scores are good enough, they won't care if you took the USMLE. If your scores are more average, then the above advice to take USMLE is probably a good idea.