do post bacs actually help?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3341

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do post bacs actually help in the admissions process???? ie: do they make you more competitive as an applicant???? Does anyone know of a program that is affiliated with a medical school and do these programs help prepare you for the insane medical school curriculum?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It helped me because I had nothing, meaning I needed to take all the pre-reqs SOMEWHERE in order to first start applying. If your application would be in general weak, in just insufficient, a post-bacc program shows the admissions committees that you are willing to put in the work, and that you are dedicated to becoming a med student (and then a physician). You definitely do not need to do post bacc. You can always apply to schools, take some classes during your interview year, and if for some reason you don't get in, you can apply the following year.

Lots of the post-bacc programs are part of medical schools. Not that I'm endorsing a particular product or company, but simply because I own it........check out the Princeton Review Complete Book of Medical Schools. In the back is a list of post-bacc program my state. You can use that as a start.

Good luck

The high presitge programs definately help. Programs like Bryn Mawr, Penn and Columbia have extremely high rates of matriculation to med school 95+%. Their trick is that they won't admit you unless you have good academic credentials.

Ed