DO post match programs still available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koikisi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am running into quite a bit of problems in my MD Psychiatry residency (wavering around the lines of sexual harassment by senior residents)---I do not want to get into the specific details, but you can see from my old posts, that this is a very hostile & unfriendly training environment.

I recall reading about a ton of post match positions that were available primarily in FM and some new Psych positions popping up.

I was wondering if someone were to quit their MD residency due to extreme reasons, is it possible to try and transition into one of these positions?

I am not breaking any employment contract or match contract. I am just literally shocked at the way I have been treated by my senior residents and feel I have made a disastrous error coming to this program based on my thought that MD programs would provide superior opportunities.

Verbally reprimanding someone for making a mistake is ok, but putting your hands on another person without their consent is totally unacceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be much better off asking this in the general residency issues forum or @group_theory can give you some insights.

Last edited:
You probably should be talking to a lawyer as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are being sexually harassed, there should be policies in place at your institution for reporting sexual harassment. You can also make a complaint about being sexually harassed to Human Resources at the hospital where you work (most places should take it seriously). There should also be non-retaliation laws or policies in place as well. You are also free to seek the advice and counsel of a qualified legal professional

If you are having difficulties with this and other issues and don't trust your chain of command (ie chief resident, associate program director, program director), there should be an ombudsman appointed by your program (required by ACGME) who is a faculty member (may or may not be in your department) who is an independent 3rd party whom you can turn to, who can help mediate any dispute/complaints. You can ask your GME office (if you don't want to ask your program coordinator) who the designated ombudsman is for your program.

If the complaints/issues are violations of ACGME policies, then you can address your concern with Resident Services at ACGME. From their website: "
Resident Services was established by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) to help physicians in graduate medical education (GME) receive fair solutions to residency/fellowship education-related concerns and formal complaints.

Resident Services does not adjudicate disputes between individual persons and residency/fellowship programs or sponsoring institutions. Resident Services does not address issues regarding matters of admission, appointment, contract, credit, discrimination, promotion, or dismissal of faculty members, residents or fellows."

https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/tabid/327/GraduateMedicalEducation/ResidentServices.aspx

And to answer your final question - at the end of the AOA Match in 2015, there were 14 AOA psychiatry unfilled spots available. For ACGME, there were 14 spots in 8 programs available after the match. Now if you leave the acgme program now on not-friendly terms, your ability to get a new spot (in either acgme or AOA) could be compromised because you would need to get a LOR from your current program director (in addition, the new program will want to know why you left, were there academic or professional reasons for leaving, etc. Basically they want to know what type of baggage you have that you are bringing with you)

If you want to find unmatched AOA psychiatry program from 2015 (don't know how long that link will be valid)
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/students/match-program/Pages/match-results.aspx

Psychiatry abbreviation is "P". I don't know if those spots have been filled post-match, you will have to contact the programs.

For ACGME, here are the 2015 match data by states (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-by-State-and-Specialty-2015.pdf) and by programs (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Program-Results-2011-2015.pdf)

Again, I don't know if the programs were able to fill with the SOAP (and post-SOAP) ... you will have to contact them

Hope this answers some of your questions/concerns.

If you are being sexually harassed, there should be policies in place at your institution for reporting sexual harassment. You can also make a complaint about being sexually harassed to Human Resources at the hospital where you work (most places should take it seriously). There should also be non-retaliation laws or policies in place as well. You are also free to seek the advice and counsel of a qualified legal professional

If you are having difficulties with this and other issues and don't trust your chain of command (ie chief resident, associate program director, program director), there should be an ombudsman appointed by your program (required by ACGME) who is a faculty member (may or may not be in your department) who is an independent 3rd party whom you can turn to, who can help mediate any dispute/complaints. You can ask your GME office (if you don't want to ask your program coordinator) who the designated ombudsman is for your program.

If the complaints/issues are violations of ACGME policies, then you can address your concern with Resident Services at ACGME. From their website: "
Resident Services was established by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) to help physicians in graduate medical education (GME) receive fair solutions to residency/fellowship education-related concerns and formal complaints.

Resident Services does not adjudicate disputes between individual persons and residency/fellowship programs or sponsoring institutions. Resident Services does not address issues regarding matters of admission, appointment, contract, credit, discrimination, promotion, or dismissal of faculty members, residents or fellows."

https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/tabid/327/GraduateMedicalEducation/ResidentServices.aspx

And to answer your final question - at the end of the AOA Match in 2015, there were 14 AOA psychiatry unfilled spots available. For ACGME, there were 14 spots in 8 programs available after the match. Now if you leave the acgme program now on not-friendly terms, your ability to get a new spot (in either acgme or AOA) could be compromised because you would need to get a LOR from your current program director (in addition, the new program will want to know why you left, were there academic or professional reasons for leaving, etc. Basically they want to know what type of baggage you have that you are bringing with you)

If you want to find unmatched AOA psychiatry program from 2015 (don't know how long that link will be valid)
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/students/match-program/Pages/match-results.aspx

Psychiatry abbreviation is "P". I don't know if those spots have been filled post-match, you will have to contact the programs.

For ACGME, here are the 2015 match data by states (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-by-State-and-Specialty-2015.pdf) and by programs (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Program-Results-2011-2015.pdf)

Again, I don't know if the programs were able to fill with the SOAP (and post-SOAP) ... you will have to contact them

Hope this answers some of your questions/concerns.

Thank you. I just don't know how to leave my program without doing so on unfriendly terms with a letter of recommendation as well.

I just feel like I'm stuck with something truly miserable.

You need to contact the ACGME if the hospital/university isn't doing something about this.