Do pre interview Socials affect how programs rank us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I.e. do the residents communicate their impressions of us during the social to the ranking committee?

These zoom socials are so boring. They are just Q&A’s, and half the questions people ask are things that can be easily answered with a google search. I want to do flash cards or read or watch football during these things, but I’m worried one of the residents would see my eye movements and complain to be faculty / ranking committee.

Am I being paranoid? or should I really be viewing these socials as extensions of the entire interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I.e. do the residents communicate their impressions of us during the social to the ranking committee?

These zoom socials are so boring. They are just Q&A’s, and half the questions people ask are things that can be easily answered with a google search. I want to do flash cards or read or watch football during these things, but I’m worried one of the residents would see my eye movements and complain to be faculty / ranking committee.

Am I being paranoid? or should I really be viewing these socials as extensions of the entire interview?

You are being judged. Always.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be viewing these socials as a chance to get to know the people you might potentially be working with next year, get a sense of the vibe of the program (however limited that may be via zoom), the location, things you may not want or have time to ask faculty interviewers, etc, and help them get a sense of who you are and whether you'd be good to have around.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s a game that you only have to play once and may make a big impact in your life so just play it.

Residents typically have more veto power than boost power so it’s best to not step on any toes.

Reactions: 6 users

For me, it’s the most important part of the interview as the candidate shows how they play rather than what they are in front of the faculty. I’ve seen candidates bash other applicants, programs, schools, drop the f bomb or
Even tell me about Harry Potter erotica they write as their hobby...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
How you come off during these things can change the views of you. If you’re sitting there doing flash cards during one of these it could be picked up and it wouldnt reflect well. Many programs they take resident input very seriously.

Is it a better idea just to not attend those dinners?

Yes, if the residents dont like your vibe, the possibility of matching drops significantly.

They usually have one/two votes for people who they don’t even want to be ranked.
If I catch you doing something else, not really engaged..... you’d make it to my s**t list.

That being said, I don’t think a zoom meeting is the best way to assess people’s social awareness or interactions.

My feeling always was,if you don’t want to show up, don’t. If you show up, please show up don’t be an a$s.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s variable by program. I signed up to join one of the dinners this week. There was no mention of ranking or giving input. We’re just there to socialize and answer questions. I think when they were real dinners it was probably different. But I think I would make an effort to attend ones for the programs you seriously want to go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it’s the most important part of the interview as the candidate shows how they play rather than what they are in front of the faculty. I’ve seen candidates bash other applicants, programs, schools, drop the f bomb or
Even tell me about Harry Potter erotica they write as their hobby...

Hey! At least they showed they have hobbies and interests outside of medicine.

If you don't attend, you don't make the rank list 9/10 times

Not sure if serious. Many legit reasons someone couldn't make it.

To the OP, they're just to weed out the crazies. Nobody moves up the list with good behavior. But a small number get scratched.

Reactions: 2 users
These are really important. They're one of the few times to actually interact more with residents. It's great for applicant info and for us. What you do absolutely does have an impact on how people view you, and as residents involved in recruitment you almost always have an impact on rank lists, typically more from a DNR standpoint or if this fits with faculty the rank highly standpoint.

Is it a better idea just to not attend those dinners?

That's a good way to either not be remembered or seen as not interested in the program. The right answer is show up and be interested for the couple hours before. You don't need to be doing flashcards that much. If you know you can't do that, yeah, feel free not to show up. It's helpful for us knowing who's not really interested in the program.

I think it’s variable by program. I signed up to join one of the dinners this week. There was no mention of ranking or giving input. We’re just there to socialize and answer questions. I think when they were real dinners it was probably different. But I think I would make an effort to attend ones for the programs you seriously want to go to.

Just wait until the rank meeting time or you get a survey about the applicants.

Is swearing a taboo?

No. If it is, it would be good to know. Just don't have it be every other word out of your mouth.

After you pass the gatekeeping process and score an interview, the number one concern becomes: can I stand to work with this person for the next three/four/five years? So yes, they will certainly make their impressions known, especially if it was a very good or very bad impression.

Reactions: 5 users
That's a good way to either not be remembered or seen as not interested in the program. The right answer is show up and be interested for the couple hours before. You don't need to be doing flashcards that much. If you know you can't do that, yeah, feel free not to show up. It's helpful for us knowing who's not really interested in the program.

what if someone couldn't make it?

what if someone couldn't make it?

If they had a good reason, but still, the point is to get to know residents and for them to get to know you. If you're not there, you can't make those connections, and probably won't be remembered much by the residents. People that aren't remembered much come ROL time tend to be ranked in the middle somewhere.

One way to overcome this would be to show interest by interacting with residents after the fact (like via emails).

Just to further emphasize what @hallowmann is saying, particularly this year applicants should go to the Zoom social and attempt to unmute every once in a while. We ALL know it is awkward. It is awkward for residents to sit there for 2 hours. It is awkward for applicants. But we are going to spend the next several years working with whoever comes here, so we will grit our teeth through the awkwardness to get to know you. My program actually solicits feedback after the interview day regarding our impressions and then we have a resident review of the top X number of people on the rank list to make sure there aren't red-flag personalities in that group.
I encourage all the med students that I've come across to at least act more interested by sending emails/calling since there won't be any in-person stuff.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, absolutely. The Zoom thing is weird but it's a thousand times easier to log on to an online chatroom for an hour and act interested than it was for everyone who's gone before you to spend $1k to fly in, book a hotel, and drag him/herself to dinner before a long day of in-person interviews.

In a normal year it's borderline acceptable to miss the dinner, especially if you're coming from another interview across the country the same day. This year I would not be impressed by an applicant who can't be bothered to participate.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok so I did one of the dinners. I think it’s gonna be extremely hard to “judge” people. Unless you start swearing or show up without a shirt then the bar is low. There is not even a ton of expectations for people to really talk that much over a weird zoom meeting. There were a couple applicants that I think of favorably because they seemed interested and had questions prepared to ask. But I don’t think unfavorably of any of the others just because they didn’t. Ok that’s my take on this dinner thing.

(if you interview at a smaller program their zoom situation might be a little different idk)