Do pre-meds resent people in accelerated medical programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timewinders

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of the interview process for accelerated medical programs and was curious about whether normal pre-meds resent people in accelerated programs for their guaranteed acceptances. Sure, they have good chances of getting into better medical schools, but that guarantee could still rankle.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the middle of the interview process for accelerated medical programs and was curious about whether normal pre-meds resent people in accelerated programs for their guaranteed acceptances. Sure, they have good chances of getting into better medical schools, but that guarantee could still rankle.

I only resented the people in my school's program that were extremely lazy once they got in. At my school's program it was half and half with those who continued to work hard and those who barely maintained the minimum GPA and got the minimum MCAT score.

So that was annoying to know people were able to work much less hard than you but were definitely going to medical school regardless. Then I graduated a year early and was accepted before other people in the 8 year program that are trying to start early. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I only resented the people in my school's program that were extremely lazy once they got in. At my school's program it was half and half with those who continued to work hard and those who barely maintained the minimum GPA and got the minimum MCAT score.

So that was annoying to know people were able to work much less hard than you but were definitely going to medical school regardless. Then I graduated a year early and was accepted before other people in the 8 year program that are trying to start early. :)

I go to a school with a 7-year program, and I agree with you that some of the BS/MD kids are sooo lazy in college! They took minimum credit loads, didn't participate in many extracurriculars, and studied a small amount.

However, I was never was jealous of these kids. I was accepted to my alma mater's medical school but will be withdrawing because it's my "safety." Many of the BS/MDs could have been accepted to better medical schools, but they settled for a lower-tier school so that they could be guaranteed an acceptance. *shrug*

Resent is way too strong of a word. I was only jealous for the four months that I studied for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user

Same here. About 4 people a year get accepted into the pre-acceptance program to the med school at my undergrad. They only have to maintain a 3.5 with no mcat required. So it is was frustrating to seem them go through undergrad riding the bare minimum. But there were others who worked hard and ended up going elsewhere.

Personally I don't think a offer of admission to medical school should be based on high school accomplishments alone. However, I do wish you good luck applying!!

Only the students at elite programs (Northwestern HPME, CalTech/UCSD Med Scholars, Brown PLME, etc.).

However, the vast majority of accelerated/guaranteed programs are at mid-low tier UG's and med mchools....I could never resent or be jealous of someone in Drexel's/Alabany's/Random StateU's BS/MD program.

Resent is way too strong of a word. I was only jealous for the four months that I studied for the MCAT.

I see. I wouldn't be jealous about the MCAT if I were you, though. Most of the programs I'm interviewing for require that you take them and get a 30 or 31. People in the programs probably spend almost as much time studying for them as anyone else does. The GPA requirements on the other hand... :p

That said, I'm not planning to slack off. I probably won't bother to apply elsewhere, but I still have my pride.

I think the resentment is independent to each individual.

Only the students at elite programs (Northwestern HPME, CalTech/UCSD Med Scholars, Brown PLME, etc.).

I guess that makes sense. To be honest, I'm not sure why those colleges have accelerated programs in the first place. They'd get top students into their colleges and med schools even without them.

Personally I don't think a offer of admission to medical school should be based on high school accomplishments alone. However, I do wish you good luck applying!!

Thanks already accepted. :cool:

Also I would like to say that I was not resentful of them, maybe a little jealous at times. But my hard work payed off and I'm graduating in 3 years and starting medical school in the fall. :)

I guess that makes sense. To be honest, I'm not sure why those colleges have accelerated programs in the first place. They'd get top students into their colleges and med schools even without them.

Students who get accepted into those programs usually get into very elite UG's as well (HYPS). The cross-admit rates between HYPS and Brown or HYPS and Northwestern is skewed heavily to HYPS so adding in a guaranteed med acceptance can allow schools like Brown, Northwestern, Rice, WashU, etc. to "steal" cross-admits who would have gone to higher ranked places. It basically adds to the quality of their UG class without really sacrificing the quality of their med school class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. I wouldn't be jealous about the MCAT if I were you, though. Most of the programs I'm interviewing for require that you take them and get a 30 or 31. People in the programs probably spend almost as much time studying for them as anyone else does. The GPA requirements on the other hand... :p

That said, I'm not planning to slack off. I probably won't bother to apply elsewhere, but I still have my pride.

Wow that's crazy. 30/31 is high. Do you still have the option of applying elsewhere after pre-reqs and MCAT or is it like a contract?

Rankle... is that like a cankle?

Same here. About 4 people a year get accepted into the pre-acceptance program to the med school at my undergrad. They only have to maintain a 3.5 with no mcat required.

That's interesting. My class has about 20 of accelerated students, and during their undergrad, they had to take 15-16 credit hours (no summers off), maintain a 3.6 (I think), and get at least 30 on the MCAT. It's by no means "hard", but it's not easy either.

I think almost all of them are in the top 10% of our med school class haha. They are definitely hardcore. I don't know how the accelerated students in the other years perform, so it could just be the ones in my class.

Yes, actually, because most are cut throat losers who study 24/7 and care way too much about school

It's often said that a practicing physician would likely not make the cut and be accepted to medical school today. Board certified physicians admit this. I wonder if the same is true for BS/MD programs... would those students also be unlikely to get an acceptance?

I don't mean to disrespect them. I have no doubt they will become wonderful physicians. In fact, I imagine that 1/3 to 1/2 of rejected applicants this cycle would also have what it takes to become physicians. It's just such a buyer's (med school's) market these days.

I thought BS/MD was a negative come match day.
That's what I'd heard. I met a couple MD students from UMKC and they said they had to make it clear for match that they were not 6-year students so they wouldnt have it held against them. But for UMKC the combined program is the norm. Not sure what the numbers are for Brown. But I think for many schools only a small number of students are in the combined program. If that's the case, would the residencies know if you were in a combined program?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that no one cares whether you were in an accelerated program. Even the med school doesn't matter that much. UMKC's program is notoriously bad, though, so it might be an exception.

It's often said that a practicing physician would likely not make the cut and be accepted to medical school today. Board certified physicians admit this. I wonder if the same is true for BS/MD programs... would those students also be unlikely to get an acceptance?

I don't mean to disrespect them. I have no doubt they will become wonderful physicians. In fact, I imagine that 1/3 to 1/2 of rejected applicants this cycle would also have what it takes to become physicians. It's just such a buyer's (med school's) market these days.

:thumbup:

Exactly. My PI is an MD who does research and I talked to him about the current state of medical school admissions and he was :eek: . He mentioned that he might not have made it if he was applying right now.

And to the OP: I don't resent the BA/MD students at my school. I hope to FSM that I don't have to practice with them. They need a 23 to make it into the MD side and half of them are struggling to get that. That being said, the other half are extremely hard working people - doing research, volunteering etc even though they don't need to do any of that.

Wow that's crazy. 30/31 is high. Do you still have the option of applying elsewhere after pre-reqs and MCAT or is it like a contract?

You lose your spot in the medical school if you apply elsewhere. Personally, I don't think it's worth going through the application process all over again unless the program's with a low tier school.

individual is the key word in this thread. if we did a study, i'd guess that "no" would be the general consensus. but it depends on the premed and it depends on the person in an accelerated medical program.

anyone who sees being in an accelerated medical program as cause for resentment is irrational.

so, i'm gonna go with
final answer
[/thread]

However, the vast majority of accelerated/guaranteed programs are at mid-low tier UG's and med mchools....I could never resent or be jealous of someone in Drexel's/Alabany's/Random StateU's BS/MD program.

agree. my ohio institution has one, and the bs/md students just fill into the mix.

A lot of people shoot for osu/cinci/case, so its just whatever.

as a past student in one of the "elite" bs/md programs, i met very little resentment from my peers. at least, any resentment or jealousy that i encountered was playful. when i first entered college, people told me to not mention the fact that i was a bs/md student because other students would get pissed off, hate me, etc. but no one in my class kept it quiet and no one experienced any significant negative sentiments. the super lazy ones did experience some actual resentment occasionally.

No, not at all. Why would they? I think most people who applied or are applying to med school soon are mature enough not to get angry/jealous at stuff like that.

I am jealous about the ones who didn't have to do all them annoying ECs.

]Didn't they have to do them to get accepted into BS/MD? [/B]And I don't resent them because I kind of see them as inferior.

Not really as many. The majority of them still had to shadow and do clinical volunteering, but not as long as a pre med in undergrad applying the regular way.

BS/MD programs are more stats-oriented (GPA, SAT)

Last edited:
I don't resent them at all. Some of those programs really load you down all six-seven years. Plus, as many people have said, many are in low-tier schools. I feel sorry for some of them.

:thumbup:

Exactly. My PI is an MD who does research and I talked to him about the current state of medical school admissions and he was :eek: . He mentioned that he might not have made it if he was applying right now.

And to the OP: I don't resent the BA/MD students at my school. I hope to FSM that I don't have to practice with them. They need a 23 to make it into the MD side and half of them are struggling to get that. That being said, the other half are extremely hard working people - doing research, volunteering etc even though they don't need to do any of that.

Are you from texas?:cool:

I would never recommend anyone do a combined program unless they KNOW for a fact that they want to be at the school they're being admitted to. The problem is that I bet very, very few high school students have the knowledge to make that decision rationally. Some might, and for them perhaps combined programs are ideal since they can really use their undergrad to do things they otherwise may not be able to. I would argue that any high school student that gets into a combined program is perfectly capable of getting into any top tier med school if they were to apply through the normal process. That seems to be a bad trade-off in my opinion.

I applied to a combined BS/MD program and I'm extremely thankful that I was rejected. My perspective and knowledge base as a high school student was entirely inadequate to make a commitment like that - but then again, maybe that's why I (and those that apply to these programs) was/are rejected.

The only time that I've ever been annoyed by one was when one of the freshman in the program insisted that they were "in medical school" and insisted on calling himself a "medical student". Other than that, I've had good experiences and have even had an opportunity to briefly teach some of them once upon a time. I think there are pros and cons to such programs, and thus I don't find anything for people to resent (except perhaps those who applied and were rejected).

Last edited:
BS/MD kids are kind of a pariah at my school.

The ill will doesn't come from resentment, but rather the fact that they are a monster clique... Blocking off entire hallways when 20 of them form a huddle after an exam.

Of course, N=1.

Naturally there were exceptions, this was the rule.

as someone in a bs/md program, it kind of sucked entering college and having a roommate who got rejected from it and thus hated you for it. fun times were had...

as someone in a bs/md program, it kind of sucked entering college and having a roommate who got rejected from it and thus hated you for it. fun times were had...

Wow, talk about bad luck. He doesn't openly express this hatred, right? What college do you go to?

More than anything, I hate the one's who show off. I know some really sweet BS/MD kids, but most I've met are a combination of boastful, lazy, and intellectually and morally incapable of becoming a physician. Every year, they form these cliques that everybody hates. They make it seem as if they're all buddy buddy and superior and have the time of their lives getting drunk and wasted just to maintain a 3.4 and a 26 on the MCAT (seriously???).

What's more funny is that half of them had to take the MCAT twice just to get a 26. One dude hasn't even got an A in any upper level classes. Half of them cheat during exams. And most annoying of all, on Facebook they put down "Studying BS/MD, or the program name". I just want to slap them silly and tell them that isn't a damn major. Slightly jelly because I know some very bright students that were rejected from that program.

I just think the programs are a bad idea, although I can see how schools would like them for their ability to snag good students, as noted above.

I just think the programs are a bad idea, although I can see how schools would like them for their ability to snag good students, as noted above.

i agree, how on earth could a highschool student prove that they are truly interested and committed to becoming a physician? It takes lots of volunteering, shadowing and other EC's to show this kind of passion

Back in high school I didn't realize how competitive med admissions are and was undecided, so I figured I could always apply normally. When I did decide to do medicine and was daunted by the process, I briefly regretted not doing a BA-MD. I especially regretted it while waiting for interview decisions lol. The one near me though has a really bad rep, so I'm glad I didn't go that route. I don't resent them... I have a friend in a more competitive program than the one back home. But I was just a little jealous before I got in! My college doesn't have one so I don't know how to feel about it otherwise.

More than anything, I hate the one's who show off. I know some really sweet BS/MD kids, but most I've met are a combination of boastful, lazy, and intellectually and morally incapable of becoming a physician. Every year, they form these cliques that everybody hates. They make it seem as if they're all buddy buddy and superior and have the time of their lives getting drunk and wasted just to maintain a 3.4 and a 26 on the MCAT (seriously???).

What's more funny is that half of them had to take the MCAT twice just to get a 26. One dude hasn't even got an A in any upper level classes. Half of them cheat during exams. And most annoying of all, on Facebook they put down "Studying BS/MD, or the program name". I just want to slap them silly and tell them that isn't a damn major. Slightly jelly because I know some very bright students that were rejected from that program.

Oh wow, sounds horrible. Most BS/MD students I've encountered seem pretty mature and studious. Maybe it depends on the school and program?

When I lived in Alabama (same goes for New Mexico), they had BS/MD programs that weren't way too hard to get in, and those kids seemed a bit more "easy-going." Also, I think High school is a bit too early to pinpoint what you want to do with the rest of your life (especially BS/MD applicants, as they get started with app stuff sophomore or Junior year).

You lose your spot in the medical school if you apply elsewhere. Personally, I don't think it's worth going through the application process all over again unless the program's with a low tier school.

Why would you do a binding bs/md? Laziness? The only reason a lot of people consider them is to have a guaranteed backup when you apply out. Bs/mds are on the way out, in any case.

i agree, how on earth could a highschool student prove that they are truly interested and committed to becoming a physician? It takes lots of volunteering, shadowing and other EC's to show this kind of passion

While I agree, I would point out that much of the world is able to make do with hs students. We are the exception in this country. I imagine that their grad rate is lower.

Why would you do a binding bs/md? Laziness? The only reason a lot of people consider them is to have a guaranteed backup when you apply out. Bs/mds are on the way out, in any case.

Almost all BS/MD programs are binding. It does have a bit to do with laziness. I don't want to have to deal with the college application process again, at least until after medical school. It's bull****. The main reason, though, is to reduce stress during college. The money saved isn't bad, either.

I kinda liked having more of an ability to branch out from medicine during undergrad than being locked in from start. I think engineering has given a good perspective and I've learned things that BS/MD kids never will. Honestly, I think BS/MD is flawed in too many ways... don't know why it's around.

Almost all BS/MD programs are binding. It does have a bit to do with laziness. I don't want to have to deal with the college application process again, at least until after medical school. It's bull****. The main reason, though, is to reduce stress during college. The money saved isn't bad, either.

I know SD isn't and Wisconsin when they had theirs wasn't. I don't believe SC is, unless they changed it. You're not necessarily saving money; you have no ability to compare COA if you're locked into a specific school and there's no way you'll get scholarships either.

Actually I'm a pretty good example of that; I was accepted BS/MD into the school I'm currently attending. I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have a full scholarship had I taken the BS/MD offer, though.