Do private schools care where you practice after you graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strictlyanon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As opposed to public, who often want you to stay in their state, serve their underserved, etc. Do private schools care at all if their students leave their state after graduating?

Members don't see this ad.

As opposed to public, who often want you to stay in their state, serve their underserved, etc. Do private schools care at all if their students leave their state after graduating?

Ohio COM makes you sign a contract that you will practice in Ohio for five years if you are an out of state student, otherwise you will have to pay them a certain sum of money, other schools do not care.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think EVMS wants their students to serve the Hamptons road area, but that was all that I ran into during my secondaries

They probably care but they can't really do anything about it other than select for people who profess a desire to practice in that area.

They probably care but they can't really do anything about it other than select for people who profess a desire to practice in that area.

Private schools have no reason to care, or to select for people with any such desire. Even the mission-driven private schools (like Loma Linda) never mention a goal of producing practitioners for any one area.

Oh right. I also forgot about Mercer. I was thinking more along the lines of USC Keck, Emory, etc

"Private" is ultimately too broad a term. Commonwealth (a school with a somewhat rural focus) is technically "private" as are schools like Penn State and Pitt, but that's only because PA has a ****ty funding mechanism for funding their state schools.