DO Programs Closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college student planning on attending a DO school. Today I got an email from my aunt who handles students in their residency program from a DO school encouraging me to look more into PA schools on the basis that she is afraid that some DO schools will be closing down.

PCOM has had their application for ACGME rejected twice already, and some DO schools haven't even submitted theirs once yet. DO programs have until 2020 to get accredited or else they will close down.

She is worried for the residents starting this July, because they would finish in 2020, and if a DO school is not accredited, then they can't take the board exams and they won't be able to work as physicians and they will have a mountain of debt with no way to pay it off. My stats aren't good enough for me to have a comfortable chance of attending MD school. Would it be unwise of me to attend schools that haven't submitted their application for ACGME? Should I risk attending a DO school period?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a college student planning on attending a DO school. Today I got an email from my aunt who handles students in their residency program from a DO school encouraging me to look more into PA schools on the basis that she is afraid that some DO schools will be closing down.

PCOM has had their application for ACGME rejected twice already, and some DO schools haven't even submitted theirs once yet. DO programs have until 2020 to get accredited or else they will close down.

She is worried for the residents starting this July, because they would finish in 2020, and if a DO school is not accredited, then they can't take the board exams and they won't be able to work as physicians and they will have a mountain of debt with no way to pay it off. My stats aren't good enough for me to have a comfortable chance of attending MD school. Would it be unwise of me to attend schools that haven't submitted their application for ACGME? Should I risk attending a DO school period?
You are confusing residencies needing to gain ACGME accreditation by 2020 due to merger with DO schools. The DO schools will continue to be accredited by COCA.

Reactions: 16 users
By the time you apply for residencies the only ones available will be ACGME accredited. I think she may be referring to current residents in programs that can't receive accreditation. You won't have this problem when you're attempting to match in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
She is worried for the residents starting this July, because they would finish in 2020, and if a DO school is not accredited
That's not how any of this works.....
PCOM has had their application for ACGME rejected twice already, and some DO schools haven't even submitted theirs once yet.
COCA is the accrediting body of DO schools-- but the AOA is the accrediting body of DO-only residencies--- the 2020 merger will lead the unification of ACGME residencies(MD) and AOA(DO)--- If you graduate from a DO school(which is accredited by COCA) you can apply to both AOA and ACGME residencies currently-- and after 2020 this process will be more streamlined in that both MD and DO students will apply to only ACGME residencies because that will be the only type as this was the intention of the residency merger.

tl : dr
School accrediting body ≠ Residency accrediting body

Reactions: 7 users
Even if schools were closing, which they are not, you wouldn't want to just switch to a PA school. There is a huge difference and if you truly want to be a doctor then you will never be happy as a PA. I dont have anything against PA's and its a great profession.

Reactions: 3 users
v8ccqht.jpg

Reactions: 28 users
That's not how any of this works.....

/thread.

I'm all seriousness though OP, the schools are not closing or going anywhere. The residency programs need to be ACGME accredited by 2020. A number already have passed, and just because they need to make some changes (i.e. Continued pre-accreditation or their application being "denied") doesn't mean they ultimately won't make it, although yes some won't.

I am confused which PCOM program she is talking about because the surgical ones are pretty much all in the initial accreditation phase if I remember right from the last time I looked at the list.

As for applying, apply broadly to MD and DO and go to the best school you can. Remember, any DO acceptance means you have a really high chance of becoming a doctor (90+%).

Reactions: 4 users

To explain what others have stated in more detail. DO schools are under COCA and this accredits medical school, they are safe. What your aunt is referring to is residency programs under AOA (unless she has no clue that AOA only accredits residencies). These programs will merge under the ACGME if they are able to turn in the paperwork.

DO schools are sponsors for some residency programs, since a residency program needs a sponsor from either a medical school or hospital. This is totally different from accreditation. So those PCOM programs that might be closing down only concern residencies and not medical schools (however, not sure how true this is either from looking at the AOA site).

Reactions: 1 users
So those PCOM programs that might be closing down only concern residencies and not medical schools (however, not sure how true this is either from looking at the AOA site).

That's what confuses me, I'm pretty sure every program that already had to apply from PCOM already has initial accreditation.

That's what confuses me, I'm pretty sure every program that already had to apply from PCOM already has initial accreditation.

Let's take a look-- from some digging it looks like PCOM sponsored residency programs are on top of it-- just from eye-balling a few of their programs we can say they are putting in the proper paperwork-- like take for instance their Ophthalmology program is currently in "Pre-Accreditation Pathway A" same for their plastic surgery, and their surgery program has "Initial Accreditation Contingent upon Sponsoring Institution Initial Accreditation" and so on..
You can take a look here for all AOA program specialties currently applying for the single accreditation:
https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun?ReportId=18&CurrentYear=2016&SpecialtyId=

and to find out what each pathway to accreditation means: http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs...ACGMEAccreditationforAOA-ApprovedPrograms.pdf

and if anyone is interested in checking up on specific AOA program specialties applying: https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/18

Reactions: 2 users
Let's take a look-- from some digging it looks like PCOM sponsored residency programs are on top of it-- just from eye-balling a few of their programs we can say they are putting in the proper paperwork-- like take for instance their Ophthalmology program is currently in "Pre-Accreditation Pathway A" same for their plastic surgery, and their surgery program has "Initial Accreditation Contingent upon Sponsoring Institution Initial Accreditation" and so on..
You can take a look here for all AOA program specialties currently applying for the single accreditation:
https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun?ReportId=18&CurrentYear=2016&SpecialtyId=

and to find out what each pathway to accreditation means: http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs...ACGMEAccreditationforAOA-ApprovedPrograms.pdf

and if anyone is interested in checking up on specific AOA program specialties applying: https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/18

Actually, you can also just look at the AOA residency webpage. Most of the above information are found here and which programs are closing their doors.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm

See this is why you don't tell your relative about plan to join medical school. My aunt somehow has this imagination that all Caribbean students can match into whatever specialty they want and DO plebs are doomed to primary care in rural Wyoming.

Reactions: 4 users

So your aunt runs the background checks or files the paperwork? Because it's pretty clear she has no idea what she's talking about.

Ill be completing residency in 2020... So hypothetically if my residency doesnt get acgme accredited July 2020, i wont be able get board certified and work?

Ill be completing residency in 2020... So hypothetically if my residency doesnt get acgme accredited July 2020, i wont be able get board certified and work?
False. If you are allowed to start a residency, you will be allowed to finish it.

If your program isn't ACGME accredited it can't take additional residents.

False. If you are allowed to start a residency, you will be allowed to finish it.

If your program isn't ACGME accredited it can't take additional residents.
So even if i start in 2018 & need to finish in 2021, im guarqnteed to finish?
"
  • March 27, 2017: The AOA, ACGME and AACOM reached an agreement this week to protect residents as part of the transition to the single GME accreditation system. The three organizations recognize there may be unique circumstances whereby some residency programs make a good faith effort to achieve ACGME accreditation, but still haven’t transitioned successfully to ACGME accreditation by the deadline of June 30, 2020. The agreement will give the AOA restricted authority to extend the AOA accreditation date to allow any remaining resident in such programs to complete training in an accredited program. Questions about this agreement can be directed to
    "
    google: aoa acgme merger
    Then click the first link( osteopathic website )& find march 27

So even if i start in 2018 & need to finish in 2021, im guarqnteed to finish?
"
  • March 27, 2017: The AOA, ACGME and AACOM reached an agreement this week to protect residents as part of the transition to the single GME accreditation system. The three organizations recognize there may be unique circumstances whereby some residency programs make a good faith effort to achieve ACGME accreditation, but still haven’t transitioned successfully to ACGME accreditation by the deadline of June 30, 2020. The agreement will give the AOA restricted authority to extend the AOA accreditation date to allow any remaining resident in such programs to complete training in an accredited program. Questions about this agreement can be directed to
    "
    google: aoa acgme merger
    Then click the first link( osteopathic website )& find march 27
Isn't this what we already thought? They won't take any new, but will be allowed to graduate current.

Reactions: 1 users