Do programs know which/how many programs you applied to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalH22a

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been addressed already, but I couldn't come up with anything with the search function. Are program directors able to see which programs you applied to via ERAS? Just curious. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this question has been addressed already, but I couldn't come up with anything with the search function. Are program directors able to see which programs you applied to via ERAS? Just curious. Thanks for any input!

I've been told that they cannot see where else you apply. Several interviewers directly asked me where else I applied.

In addition, nobody really knows what order you rank them in NRMP either. Unless of course you tell somewhere they were #1 and then they rank you high enough to match and you end up somewhere else!

They don't know how many, but they do get a list of everyone that they ranked and where they ended up matching (so I've been told). So be careful telling multiple programs they are your "#1" because they know where you ended up and you could potentially kiss a fellowship/job with them goodbye (in theory at least).

They don't know how many, but they do get a list of everyone that they ranked and where they ended up matching (so I've been told).

That is true.

So be careful telling multiple programs they are your "#1" because they know where you ended up and you could potentially kiss a fellowship/job with them goodbye (in theory at least).

I suppose, if someone were to actually remember or hold a grudge for that long.

That is true.

I suppose, if someone were to actually remember or hold a grudge for that long.

Even then I think you could end up there. I have offended program directors, real slap in the face faux paz and still ended up interviewing there at a later date. At least for primary care like FP, I see interviewing etc alot like dating - just because you offend them and they tell you they "hate" you and never want to see you again, that can all turn around and they love you again. Competitive residency ( derm, rad etc) social rules may be alot different.

Not that I recommend lying to any programs about where you will rank them, but "never" is not forever in dating or job/residency interviewing.

I have heard tales of folks having told cardiology fellowships they were #1 and then not ranking them #1, and the PD told me that later the person applied for a faculty job @the place and was rejected. However, I think it's rare for this type of stuff to happen. I wouldn't go tell 10 placed they are your #1, but if you told a place they are #1 and then later changed your mind to a different place, I don't think they are likely to remember you 2-3 years down the road and be mad. Also, PD's have learned not to believe what applicants say, just as applicants have learned not to believe what programs say.