DO programs pulling out after submission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had two of the AOA residency programs that I applied to email me within a couple weeks of application saying that they have decided not to participate in the DO match and that I need to reapply in the MD match to be considered. Is this normal? These aren't exactly competitive programs and they apparently just took my time and application fees and said "thank you sir may I have another". This seems a) totally sleezy and b) criminal- there is no way they found out two weeks ago that they couldn't participate in the match, they must have had inklings for months.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the program and ask if you actually have to resubmit your app (and fee) or just have to rank through the NRMP match. The ERAS app is universal, so it's not like it would really be different (except program id), but I wouldn't be surprised if the program wanted you to do it just because it's logistically easier for them.

I've actually heard of this happening for years. Programs that have dual-accreditation can choose which match they participate in and how they fill their seats.

One switched over to the MD match so I can probably just rank them separately since I'm already applying to MD as well, but they screwed anyone who isn't applying to both matches out of their ERAS fee. It sounds like the other program just decided to skip a year to deal with merger related stuff. I think its unethical for them to collect fee's for these applications and then pull out, especially since they did so shortly after applications opened so they obviously had this on their radar and just decided to let everyone throw their money away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell them you expect your money returned? Seems simple as that but I may not have all the details I guess.

Edit: didn't realize it was non refundable. But still, to me it's basically that they stole from you. I don't see how you couldn't get the money back if the place backed out after paying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ERAS fees are not refundable.

Exactly, its theft but apparently we put up with it, probably because we all want to match and are afraid to rock the boat. Maybe after I match I will send these program directors an email and tell them what I think and where they can send my $35 checks;)

Programs make $0 from ERAS. OP should ask for a refund from the AAMC (and direct their anger at the AAMC, not the programs).

Reactions: 4 users