Do prokaryotes undergo Kreb cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potatochips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember from destroyer it says it does not undergo a kreb cycle from some Qs. As I was doing some of the problems in datQvault today I saw this explanation.

In prokaryotes, glycolysis and the Krebs cycle occur in the cytosol, while the electron transport chain occurs along the plasma membrane. In eukaryotic cells glycolysis, occurs in the cytosol and the Krebs cycle occurs in the mitochondrial matrix. The electron transport chain in eukaryotes occurs across the inner mitochondrial membrane.

So uhm which one do you guys think it is right? I tried to google them but I haven't got enough informations about prokaryotes and kreb cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember from destroyer it says it does not undergo a kreb cycle from some Qs. As I was doing some of the problems in datQvault today I saw this explanation.

In prokaryotes, glycolysis and the Krebs cycle occur in the cytosol, while the electron transport chain occurs along the plasma membrane. In eukaryotic cells glycolysis, occurs in the cytosol and the Krebs cycle occurs in the mitochondrial matrix. The electron transport chain in eukaryotes occurs across the inner mitochondrial membrane.

So uhm which one do you guys think it is right? I tried to google them but I haven't got enough informations about prokaryotes and kreb cycle.

Glycolysis and Kreb's cycle occurs in cytoplasm while the ETC occurs in the cell membrane of the prokaryotic cell..:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Glycolysis and Kreb's cycle occurs in cytoplasm while the ETC occurs in the cell membrane of the prokaryotic cell..:thumbup:

What he said^^

That is why the total net production of ATP in prokaryotes is 38 while ATP in eukaryotes is 36. Because Pyruvate Decarboxylation & Kreb Cycle occur in the Mitochondrial Matrix in Eukaryotes, the 2NADH produced in Glycolysis only contribute 2ATP (usually 3)/NADH molecule because the NADH molecules cannot cross through the inner mitochondrial membrane.....someone correct me if Im wrong but im pretty sure thats why LOL :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I don't mean to make this a necrothread, but maybe this will be helpful for people Googling in the future (as I have today...6 years later, lol).

I agree with Jab1113. But the reason the ATP production in eukaryotes is 36 and not 38 is because "...some energy is used to transport pyruvic acid into the mitochondria." (p. 53, NextStep Biology/Biochem Review Chapter 4: Cellular Metabolism, Ed. 3). It doesn't have to do with the NADH passing through the inner mitochondrial membrane. Instead it has to do with the fact that the Krebs Cycle occurs in the cytoplasm in prokaryotes. As a result, pyruvic acid from glycolysis doesn't have to be transported across the mitochondrial matrix and, voila, no active transport needed. We get our 2 ATPs back.

Thank you for the helpful answers. Just thought I'd add a little detail in to make it entirely correct!