Do quantitative degrees help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med school admissions look at quant type majors differently/better than your standard run of the mill biology or chemistry. (ie: applied math, engineering physics, other math based engineering majors). I know these are said to be beneficial in helping logical anaylsis and reasoning skills, which is obviously a good trait to have for any career like medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Ross434 said:
Do med school admissions look at quant type majors differently/better than your standard run of the mill biology or chemistry. (ie: applied math, engineering physics, other math based engineering majors). I know these are said to be beneficial in helping logical anaylsis and reasoning skills, which is obviously a good trait to have for any career like medicine.

While med schools like to have a diverse and well rounded class consisting of many different majors, there does not appear to be much significant benefit to having been one form of major or another. It certainly wouldn't be enough of a benefit to overcome GPA or MCAT issues, and probably isn't as important as good LORs or ECs. Just major in whatever interests you.

It helps when you do it and tell your interviewer some long whiny story about "how I used to be really into machines but then I realized they have no souls so I want to be a doctor instead." :thumbup:

Ross434 said:

yeah, i think they like to have quantitative type thinkers around. while it's not going to help you memorize anything, it gives you a different perspective...and having lots of those is what makes a good team.