DO Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiffanyD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all of you seasoned DO folks, I have 2 questions:

1) What DO programs take the PBL approach to the first 2 years of school?

2) What programs emphasize preventive care, diet, and exercise as part of the holistic approach to medicine? This is a part of medicine that I find especially intriguing, and would love the oppurtunity to incorporate it into my medical philosophy.

Any comments or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Tiffany,

WesternU advertises a strong emphasis in wellness and prevention. This includes nutrition and exercise. However, when I interviewed there, they did not provide specific information about classes in their curriculum that verified it.

UNECOM teaches a nutrition class to their students and has strong community/public health approach. You should definitely check them out.

KCOM also offers a nutrition class.

There may be more,

Good luck

------------------
Phillip
Class of 2004 (somewhere)
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I'll add a tidbit by saying that I asked the PBL question during my interview at Western. I think that they have a class-by-class basis for PBL: it's up to the professor. For instance, one of the three interviewers was a microbio prof., and he said he takes a PBL approach to part of his class (where each student has to do some research to answer a question/questions).

Hope this is a bit helpful. By the by, I would venture a guess to say that Osteopathy itself embraces preventative care, diet and exercise: it should come across (if not explicitly, then implicitly) at all osteo schools...

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944