DO Questions - No US Bachelor's, Nontrad, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Python Forever

Reaction score
Posting this for a legit friend who doesn't really understand SDN or reddit for asking premed questions.

A nontraditional friend of mine is from South Korea, and received both a bachelor's and Masters from a top Korean university. She tells me her uGPA was in the 3.2-3.3 range. No science classes. Since then, she immigrated to the US, and is now a Green Card holder.

She completed about 90 units in the US at a community college and 4-year state school. About 70 of these units are science classes. She maintained a 3.8+, so her sGPA is around 3.8. She says she got a 505 on the MCAT 2 months ago. She has no research experience, and has ~400 hours clinical volunteering at hospitals and a hospice, and ~400 hours nonclinical.

She's applying all DO with maybe a few MD's.

1) She's worried about not having a US Bachelor's. Her B.A. and M.A. are from a fairly well-recognized Korean university, and she's completed about 90 units of coursework in the US. Would this offset any potential issues with a non-US degree?

2) Is she OK to apply this coming cycle? Including her masters and post-bacc work, her cGPA is around 3.4-3.5, and her sGPA is 3.8+ (depending on her additional coursework). Her coursework are primarily in the prereqs + math/english classes. She has 2 upper division bio coursework.

2) If she's ok to apply this cycle, what are some schools she should aim for?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Posting this for a legit friend who doesn't really understand SDN or reddit for asking premed questions.

A nontraditional friend of mine is from South Korea, and received both a bachelor's and Masters from a top Korean university. She tells me her uGPA was in the 3.2-3.3 range. No science classes. Since then, she immigrated to the US, and is now a Green Card holder.

She completed about 90 units in the US at a community college and 4-year state school. About 70 of these units are science classes. She maintained a 3.8+, so her sGPA is around 3.8. She says she got a 505 on the MCAT 2 months ago. She has no research experience, and has ~400 hours clinical volunteering at hospitals and a hospice, and ~400 hours nonclinical.

She's applying all DO with maybe a few MD's.

1) She's worried about not having a US Bachelor's. Her B.A. and M.A. are from a fairly well-recognized Korean university, and she's completed about 90 units of coursework in the US. Would this offset any potential issues with a non-US degree?

2) Is she OK to apply this coming cycle? Including her masters and post-bacc work, her cGPA is around 3.4-3.5, and her sGPA is 3.8+ (depending on her additional coursework). Her coursework are primarily in the prereqs + math/english classes. She has 2 upper division bio coursework.

2) If she's ok to apply this cycle, what are some schools she should aim for?

Thank you.
She should look at the school's websites and see what she requires.