DO questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Im considering applying to a couple of DO schools this upcoming cycle along with MD schools. Ill be honest the reason for applying to the DO schools is that ive seen they calculate GPA different then MD schools, tend to look at the whole applicant (My GPA may be low for a MD schools, but MCAT will be fine). And are statistically, in general easier to get in to. After reading about DO's is saw that they are able to do an MD residency and have the same pay and rights as an MD. The only difference is that are taught OMM (which i heard most do not even us). I really dont care what letters are behind my name i just want to be a doctor. Im thinking about applying to NYCOM and CCOM can someone tell me about the competiveness of these schools and how are they rated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jackets5 said:
Hello, Im considering applying to a couple of DO schools this upcoming cycle along with MD schools. Ill be honest the reason for applying to the DO schools is that ive seen they calculate GPA different then MD schools, tend to look at the whole applicant (My GPA may be low for a MD schools, but MCAT will be fine). And are statistically, in general easier to get in to. After reading about DO's is saw that they are able to do an MD residency and have the same pay and rights as an MD. The only difference is that are taught OMM (which i heard most do not even us). I really dont care what letters are behind my name i just want to be a doctor. Im thinking about applying to NYCOM and CCOM can someone tell me about the competiveness of these schools and how are they rated. thanks

I would consider applying to the following schools as well to make sure you have a spot:

AZCOM, KCUMB-COM, KCOM, DMU-COM (These schools take the most out-of-state students.)

NYCOM & CCOM can be a bit biased towards people who live in their areas, unless you actually do live there. Of course, this is only based on my application process. It seems that some schools randomly pick their interviews.

For example, I was interviewed at one of the top 10 M.D. schools in the nation, but I did not get an interview at CCOM. I am also from Texas, however.

jackets5 said:

The best advice that I could provide is to find a DO in your area. Contact them and see if you can shadow them. I think that you will be impressed with their whole outlook on medicine. Being a DO is much more than just the added OMM, but you are correct in that the only academic section that is different is that the DO has one more class compared to the MD (that of course being OMM). :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Bearman70 said:
The best advice that I could provide is to find a DO in your area. Contact them and see if you can shadow them.

I agree. If you can get a letter of recommendation from DO, it will help you out in the application as well.

Well I am a resident of New York thats why i thought of NYCOM and CCOM is in chicago ( which is really the only midwest city i could see myself living in). Is a letter from a DO really nessecary since i will have a outstanding letter from an MD. Thanks for the help

jackets5 said:
Well I am a resident of New York thats why i thought of NYCOM and CCOM is in chicago ( which is really the only midwest city i could see myself living in). Is a letter from a DO really nessecary since i will have a outstanding letter from an MD. Thanks for the help
It might not be necessary (check the schools website to find out), but I would highly recommend that you do it. If you can try to find a DO that uses OMM. You may not be all that interested in doing it right now, but getting a good understanding of what goes on can tell you if you will be happy at a DO school. You have to spend a significant amount of time in OMM lab and outside of class to get these concepts and techniques and I couldn't imagine doing all of this if I absolutely hated it. Also you might try reading the Norman Gevitz book "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America" It will give you a good general description of the history of the profession.

I interview applicants to our school and a lot of them say, "I heard CCOM is the Harvard of the Midwest."

I love our school, our campus, our extracurricular activites, and our rotations are unbeatable.

Yes, there are DOs that use OMT. Check out my OMT stories on my blog:
www.thealo.com/maloblog