Do remedial classes affect AADSAS GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OblongWanderer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ill give some background before my question.

I attended college at 18 years old and didn't care about college what so ever. I was placed into remedial math and English courses and acquired a "FN" on both. My parents forced me back into college even though I didn't want to attended and the same exact thing happened, "FN".

I stopped attending college and bacame a tradesman in the HV/AC industry for 6 years. Then once I had goals of becoming a dentist I started back again.

I am about to complete my AA with a 4.0 GPA. I am quite determined to succeed (it really sucks doing Manual labor).

These remedial course say 4 credit hours on my transcript, BUT they also say GPA Attmept: 0.

Will these be counted on my AADSAD GPA?
If I continue to earn A's then I'll have a 3.4 GPA with those factored in :(.

And if they are factored in will they be overlook considering the "FN" look completely out of place?

I know most of the posters on here are pre dental students like myself, but hopefully someone will have some similar experience to share.

Members don't see this ad.

You can always beg AADSAS not to count the courses since you were "forced" to take the classes.

No offense, but I can't tell if you are being comical. Does something like begging actually work?!?! I thought Schools were very strict on what they do.

I was thinking of asking my college to make them pass/fail grades considering they told me they mean absolutely nothing to them, nor to my transfer Uni.

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense, but I can't tell if you are being comical. Does something like begging actually work?!?! I thought Schools were very strict on what they do.

I was thinking of asking my college to make them pass/fail grades considering they told me they mean absolutely nothing to them, nor to my transfer Uni.
he's being sarcastic.

Yeah... That's why I have been refraining from posting on this forum. On almost every topic I read half the comments are people being smart asses....

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah... That's why I have been refraining from posting on this forum. On almost every topic I read half the comments are people being smart asses....
well to answer your question at least, all classes you took throughout your lifetime MUST be reported and WILL be factored into your AADSAS GPA calculation and show up on your application. that being said, if you are improving your grades and show an upward trend and dedication to academics, dental schools will look at this favorably and notice the effort you are putting in NOW compared to before. hope this helps

It does help. I just don't want to be pushed aside just because my GPA on the first page doesn't represent what I have accomplished.

I specifically mentioned the attempted GPA is 0 because I saw another thread mentioning that 0 attempted means it's not entered. Yes it's shown on the transcript but it might not affect the GPA.

Adea says "
To calculate a grade-point average (GPA), ADEA AADSAS calculates your total quality points by multiplying semester hours attempted by the value of the verified ADEA AADSAS grade. Quarter hours and units are converted to semester hours (quarter hours are multiplied by .667). Quality points are divided by the total number of hours for completed courses to calculate a GPA. ADEA AADSAS reports GPAs in semester-based 4.0 grading scales."

So if I have a 0 attempt remedial class, or at least says the transcript, then that shouldn't be entered.

BUT I have read other people say differently.
I tried to call the Adea but could not get on the phone with anyone.

It does help. I just don't want to be pushed aside just because my GPA on the first page doesn't represent what I have accomplished.

I specifically mentioned the attempted GPA is 0 because I saw another thread mentioning that 0 attempted means it's not entered. Yes it's shown on the transcript but it might not affect the GPA.

Adea says "
To calculate a grade-point average (GPA), ADEA AADSAS calculates your total quality points by multiplying semester hours attempted by the value of the verified ADEA AADSAS grade. Quarter hours and units are converted to semester hours (quarter hours are multiplied by .667). Quality points are divided by the total number of hours for completed courses to calculate a GPA. ADEA AADSAS reports GPAs in semester-based 4.0 grading scales."

So if I have a 0 attempt remedial class, or at least says the transcript, then that shouldn't be entered.

BUT I have read other people say differently.
I tried to call the Adea but could not get on the phone with anyone.
Are you saying the courses were all 0 credit hours?

If you took a 3 credit hr course and got an F, your quality points would be 0, factoring into your gpa as such, and must be reported.

That's where my confusion is. It says 4 credit hours on the course (why a remedial non college level course is worth more then 100 level courses is beyond me). Then it says on the semester summery attempt:0 earned:0.