Do rescues like to adopt to vet students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! First year is going pretty well so far... and I've decided to try and add another furry friend to my home. I applied for a dog from a breed rescue and should hear back sometime next week. I get the feeling that adopting a dog from this rescue is pretty competitive. They get a lot of applications and try to match the right dog with a person. I was told 2/3 of applicants don't get accepted. Would being a vet student help my case? I talked about how I have a yard and that I'm willing to exercise the dog 2-3 hours/day and 4-5 on weekends and talked about how I was a vet student etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's an answer for this question. Different rescues do things so drastically differently. A group wouldn't let me adopt a mini dachshund because I didn't have a fenced in yard, so who knows anymore. What can you do but wait and see

Reactions: 2 users
A rescue wouldn't adopt a puppy to me because I have an open staircase in my home. I got a puppy elsewhere instead, who has had two surgeries to fix both his luxating patellas and has never fallen down the stairs. Sometimes rescues make weird choices.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm willing to exercise the dog 2-3 hours/day and 4-5 on weekends
that’s really impressive. I didn’t get a dog because I live alone in an apartment and wouldn’t have time to give it the exercise it needs. Baffled on how you find 2-3 hours for exercise on a weekday, but props to you!! I couldn’t do that! Hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
Haha it's do able so far! I would do about 30 min-1 hour before school (yay for waking up early) then probably take out for half hour after school then another half hour to an hour before bed. I was also planning in coming home for lunch for a half hour so its doable so far. After interacting with our teaching dogs it made me realize how happy I am with a dog and how I'd love to be able to go on walks and take it to day care and playgroups.

Depends on the rescue (see the nice long rant below!). If you don't get selected for this dog, you can always ask if they would consider adopting to a student or if that is an automatic "no" from their organization. They may not have a hard and fast rule, but they should be able to tell you whether or not they think you are an appropriate placement for one of their dogs someday, even if there was a better match this time for the dog you applied for.

And, if this particular dog or rescue doesn't work out for you, take heart - that dog found a loving home! It'll be sad for you that the home wasn't yours, but if you know the dog gets a happy, loving family, it's a little easier to process. And there are lots of pups out there, yours is just waiting for you to find them! Good luck!

And now for a long rant....

From personal experience, I was turned down by a rescue previously because I was a graduate student so I didn't have an income. Which was dumb because at the time I had outside funding for school that covered my tuition and also provided me with a living stipend that was enough to pay for all of my expenses. I also had enough emergency savings that I could have paid for a lifetime of pet-care up front if I'd needed to. But their policy was 100% no job = no adoption.

I have also been turned down in the past by different rescues for 1. living in an apartment, 2. not having a fenced yard, or 3. because of my profession at the time (they assumed it wouldn't work out and I'd eventually return the dog because many people in my field that they had adopted to in the past had done the same).

What's especially frustrating is that now that we live in suburbia and meet all of the rescue "perfect adopter" criteria, our dogs ironically probably get less exercise and attention than they did when we were students living in an apartment. Full time jobs keep us away from the house for a much longer period of time every day than school ever did and it's very easy to just chill in the backyard with the pups rather than taking them on long walks or to the park. They also get far less consistency in training because we're not walking around a major city all the time where we really had to work to make sure that they heeled, ignored distractions, and so on.

Sometimes I really want to kick some of the rescues in the shins for being so judgmental about potential adopters because there are a lot of people out there taking great care of their pets who don't fit into their "perfect adopter" mold. And, really, all they would have to do is have a 20 minute conversation with someone to determine whether the potential adopter had thought through some of the rescue's concerns. (This is said as somebody who has volunteered and worked for rescues for several years, not just as somebody who has been on the adopting end).

In the end, you can never really tell anyway. I've helped place dogs in "perfect homes" to have them get returned shortly after for stupid reasons. (Like a couple who swore that a dog they adopted, who was the spitting image of a border collie, was "definitely a basenji" because he was more independent than their last border collie and harder to train. When they googled independent streaks in dogs they got onto some basenji breed description and were convinced that's what he had to be because he was stubborn in training. Never mind that he looked nothing like a basenji and they'd never even interacted with one in person before...) I've also placed dogs into "This seems like a terrible idea, but I really hope it works out" homes where the dogs are happy and loved and spoiled years later. Return rates seem to end up being about the same no matter how you run a rescue, but being less restrictive about adopters and the whole process certainly means that you can find more dogs homes in the same amount of time.

Mild tangent: I volunteered one day/month at a humane society doing spays/neuters. Yanno, things you can charge a fair amount for.

After about a year of doing that, I found a dog there I wanted to adopt. Was still intact. Told them to let me neuter him.

Nope. They neutered him. And then made me pay full cost.

I felt like that was a little ungracious considering how much free vet time I had given them. Still kinda bugs me.

Reactions: 8 users
Mild tangent: I volunteered one day/month at a humane society doing spays/neuters. Yanno, things you can charge a fair amount for.

After about a year of doing that, I found a dog there I wanted to adopt. Was still intact. Told them to let me neuter him.

Nope. They neutered him. And then made me pay full cost.

I felt like that was a little ungracious considering how much free vet time I had given them. Still kinda bugs me.

As a former animal shelter volunteer manager (whose duties included managing volunteer veterinarians) my professional opinion is: That's super dumb.

As other have mentioned, I think it depends on each rescue group and what they look for in potential adoptors.

When I was looking to adopt my first dog a couple years ago, I immediately looked into a rescue group. I lived in an apartment and didn't have a fenced in yard (as required in their requirements), but I worked as a veterinary assistant and at a doggie daycare and would be able to bring her to work with me. The dog I submitted an application for had a neurological issue that they discovered and, to my surprise, they allowed me to adopt her anyway. I would not have gotten involved in agility and nose work if it wasn't for her in hindsight.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! All rescues are different so it is hard to really answer this question. I asked them beforehand and they're fine with adopting out dogs to apartments and being a graduate student is fine, they said no to undergraduates. Hopefully I will hear something by the end of next week. She said it usually takes 2 weeks to process an application. Last I heard the adoptions coordinator said "Let me get you approved, then we will see who is a match." I took that as "hopefully" going to be approved. Another dog there is kind of a special needs, he has one eye but is completely gorgeous all the same and really mellow and laid back. Anywho, I'll let you guys know what happens!

As a former animal shelter volunteer manager (whose duties included managing volunteer veterinarians) my professional opinion is: That's super dumb.

Yeah. I mean, on the one hand, policies are policies. And I'm *sure* they have a "all pets get neutered/spayed" policy, which I endorse. And they probably have a "no discounts for volunteers" kinda policy.

But I also think there's a time for bending policies. And when a vet has done ... geez ... I dunno ... 400 free spays/neuters for you in the last year, that might be a time for bending that policy. So I was kinda ticked.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah. I mean, on the one hand, policies are policies. And I'm *sure* they have a "all pets get neutered/spayed" policy, which I endorse. And they probably have a "no discounts for volunteers" kinda policy.

But I also think there's a time for bending policies. And when a vet has done ... geez ... I dunno ... 400 free spays/neuters for you in the last year, that might be a time for bending that policy. So I was kinda ticked.

I mean, the shelter I worked for was pretty policy oriented about the adoption fee part - standard was no discounts for volunteers. But the adoption fee was also the same across the board for every dog - you end up paying the same whether the animal came in neutered or not. That said, a manager can always waive a fee, and there were definitely lots of exceptions to policy for big donors. And veterinarian volunteer hours were tallied as "in-kind" monetary donations where I was, so 400 free spay/neuters in a year would be worth a LOT. (We actually had one guy donate over $10,000 out of pocket for a single dog to get some ridiculously complicated and expensive surgery. Like we'd tell a guy like that no if he'd wanted something outside of the policies...)

The spayed/neutered before official adoption was really strict in our jurisdiction, but I know other places have voucher programs that you're supposed to abide by but aren't necessarily enforced. But if it was strict why not put the dog on "foster" status while you took it home and then have you neuter it the next time you were in? Or give you permission to neuter at the clinic where you work and make the adoption official afterward? So many options available for not ticking off somebody providing valuable services for free... At the very least the volunteer coordinator or head of customer service owed you a phone call or face-to-face to lay out the policies.

You're in MN, right? It wasn't Midwest Animal Rescue and Services, I hope!

I keep reading this title as 'do rescues like to adopt vet students.'

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I keep reading this title as 'do rescues like to adopt vet students.'

All the kibble you can eat! Your very own kennel! Great deal for new students!
The fine print: Kibble and shelter provided only if vet students work in low cost spay/neuter clinics for a minimum of 100 hours per week. Void where prohibited.

Midwest is the only one I know/care about around those parts anyway - one of my dogs is from there! And he's the best, so they get lots of love from me for taking him in.

Return rates seem to end up being about the same no matter how you run a rescue, but being less restrictive about adopters and the whole process certainly means that you can find more dogs homes in the same amount of time.

This is pretty interesting to me. Probably ~60% of all the customers who come into our stores had been to at least one local shelter/rescue, but been rejected. Some of the reasons I heard were pretty ridiculous to me (such as living in an apartment) and many people would give up after getting rejected from one or two shelters in our area cause they figured they would get rejected by the others. So they would get a puppy from us instead. Don't get me wrong, I love our stores. But I always thought it was sad that an established couple couldn't get a dog from a local rescue simply because they lived in an apartment, especially since they had a specific dog in mind. And it kinda shoots the rescues in the foot in the long run.

I'm not gonna lie, I totally read this as "do rescues like to adopt vet students?"

:laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not gonna lie, I totally read this as "do rescues like to adopt vet students?"

:laugh:
Same!

I've heard other students say they were rejected because they were a student, which implies less time at home to devote to a dog. Other rescues might get all excited that the animal is going to be owned by a vet. It can be really hard to predict. I'd ask around at school if anyone has had a good experience with any particular rescue and start from there.

My cousins had a hell of a time just finding a rescue to adopt guinea pigs from because there was a dog in the house, despite the fact that the guinea pigs were behind closed doors at all times. Some rescues are so overly cautious/pick and choosy that the animals never end up adopted.

Yeah rescues are super weird sometimes. I've worked with a few in my area, and there are some that are of the mindset that vet students are great (they pretty much adopt to everyone anyways). I also fostered one litter for a rescue run by this lady who told me she absolutely NEVER adopted to students because she thought they were irresponsible. She was kind of crazy and I had those kittens way longer than I should have because it turned out she was picky about ALL her adopters.

Anyways, so good luck! If they deny you, or perhaps before they can deny you, maybe you can reach out and offer to be a foster home for them? They'll appreciate the help, and it may give you a leg up on finding a dog you want, as a lot of rescues will give their fosters first priority at adopting a dog. It's how I got my westie, all the ones I spotted were snapped up too quickly, so I finally got him as a foster to adopt. :) Also it's kind of nice to get the chance to test out a dog before you make a commitment to them!

My personal experience was a vast majority said no, but I also had the added negative of living in another country. One rescuer was very excited and willing to adopt to a vet student though, and I ended up wwih both of my dogs from them. Although the current dog has to deal with all the difficulties of being a busy resident's dog, I suspect if he could talk, he'd tell you he thinks his quality of life is pretty darn good.

Well I was accepted by the rescue! However, I'm second in line for the dog I wanted. I think 10 people overall wanted him. So the first person will probably take him.

Each month, I volunteer at a non-profit cat rescue/adoption group.

Although the group follows certain adoption guidelines, the group's board members also take the time to personally interview each prospective adoptive parent.

If a volunteer wants to adopt a cat or kitten, there are "no discounts" for volunteers. However, all of the volunteers are aware of the "no discount" policy, so it's not a surprise to anyone.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the group's veterinarians have ever asked to adopt a cat or kitten.

Ditto for former pre-vet med student volunteers (who are now veterinary medicine students or practicing veterinarians).

Well I was accepted by the rescue! However, I'm second in line for the dog I wanted. I think 10 people overall wanted him. So the first person will probably take him.

Fingers crossed it works out! If it doesn't, you should see if the group will let you foster for them? A lot of rescues/shelters give first priority to the foster, it's how I managed to snag my westie after I'd been looking for a while. Also it'll give you the chance to get to know the dog first for a little bit.

Well I also just found out yesterday that my apartment has banned huskies (that's the breed I was adopting at this rescue). I was blown away that they were on the list. Especially since I have seen them in the complex. But the dog I was interested in is a mix so I would have to have the vet sign papers that he's a shiba inu mix. However, the teaching dog coordinator at my school has potentially found a female yellow lab for me to adopt. Hopefully she works out if the husky mix doesn't.

Well I also just found out yesterday that my apartment has banned huskies (that's the breed I was adopting at this rescue). I was blown away that they were on the list. Especially since I have seen them in the complex. But the dog I was interested in is a mix so I would have to have the vet sign papers that he's a shiba inu mix. However, the teaching dog coordinator at my school has potentially found a female yellow lab for me to adopt. Hopefully she works out if the husky mix doesn't.
my best advice to you is to seriously consider how owning that breed may impact your ability to find housing in the future. the breed lists are becoming a lot more extensive, and if you aren't expecting to be a home owner in the next year or two, you may end up really limiting you chances of finding a place to live somewhere down the line, even if where you are currently at is lenient. I went through the same thing when I was looking to get a dog. I've now lived in 4 different places since getting my current dog and most would not have bent the rules or signed of on a "mix." As I am preparing to move yet again, I'm glad that is one hurtle I don't have to face given that I'm already having tremendous difficulty finding a place to live. It's just something to think about. It stinks, its not necessarily fair or reasonable, but it happens. If you are planning to maybe do an internship or residency, you are likely to move at least a few more times and be a renter, and I have friends who had tremendous difficulty finding a place to live because of their breed.

Reactions: 6 users
my best advice to you is to seriously consider how owning that breed may impact your ability to find housing in the future. the breed lists are becoming a lot more extensive, and if you aren't expecting to be a home owner in the next year or two, you may end up really limiting you chances of finding a place to live somewhere down the line, even if where you are currently at is lenient. I went through the same thing when I was looking to get a dog. I've now lived in 4 different places since getting my current dog and most would not have bent the rules or signed of on a "mix." As I am preparing to move yet again, I'm glad that is one hurtle I don't have to face given that I'm already having tremendous difficulty finding a place to live. It's just something to think about. It stinks, its not necessarily fair or reasonable, but it happens. If you are planning to maybe do an internship or residency, you are likely to move at least a few more times and be a renter, and I have friends who had tremendous difficulty finding a place to live because of their breed.

Wow that is something to consider then. It's unfortunate in my opinion. Maybe just stick to a more "friendly" breed.

Wow that is something to consider then. It's unfortunate in my opinion. Maybe just stick to a more "friendly" breed.
Honestly a lot of dog breeds will be banned by most large apartment complexes. Sometimes private landlords are better, but not always. Anything you'd ever see on a "dangerous" dog list I wouldn't recommend adopting while living in apartments. So Husky, malamute, GSD, any bully breeds (sometimes even a general "mixed breed" if they at all look like a bully), terriers, Doberman, chows, rottweiler, boxer, bulldogs, Akita, etc. are going to be really hard to find apartments with. It's obviously ridiculous to ban them across the board, but it's really, really common.

The ban has a lot to do with insurance companies - complexes open themselves up to litigation if someone is harmed on their property by a "dangerous" breed. Huskies are usually around #5 on the "dangerous dog" list by number of bites annually, so a lot of complexes include them in the ban.

Private landlords are more usually more "case by case" basis, so if you have one of those breeds, you'll probably have better luck with them. We've moved twice as renters with our dogs, both times with a private landlord. Having a dog at all will always limit your housing choices. Bigger dogs are even more restricted. And "dangerous" dogs the most restricted.

The first time we moved we scrambled around ourselves and eventually found a place. The second time we used a realtor - a little extra cost upfront (I think it cost us about $300), but he was able to find us a lot of places from private landlords that hadn't been posted for the general public. Saved us so much time and frustration too, literally one day out of our lives to look at places and that was it. (He also saved us $400 in fees, so ended up paying for himself.)

Definitely recommend using a realtor to find rentals if you have pets, especially a size or breed that will limit your choices.

Reactions: 1 users
Frustratingly, when I was looking for a place to live post-vet school (renting prior to buying hopefully in a few years)... one place said retrievers were on the banned breed list (...what?) I was baffled and my veterinarian status did not sway them nor the fact that both dogs have their CGC plus other Rally + Obedience titles. My two golden boys are the sweetest. Also interestingly, a lot of places we looked at cared more about if we had a cat or not. While we didn't at the time, we were planning on adding one shortly to our family, who is now Sherlock the Ragdoll kitten (and we will probably be getting another next year ;) )

Reactions: 2 users
I just adopted a kitten from a local humane society that I've never been to before. I told them I'm a vet and they agreed to let me have the kitten for free if I did his neuter/vaccines/FIV-FeLV test etc. I'm very grateful they're letting me do that. Was fully expecting a no. Plus I was able to take him home at 5ish weeks instead of taking an already neutered kitten home at 6-7 weeks.

Reactions: 7 users
I just adopted a kitten from a local humane society that I've never been to before. I told them I'm a vet and they agreed to let me have the kitten for free if I did his neuter/vaccines/FIV-FeLV test etc. I'm very grateful they're letting me do that. Was fully expecting a no. Plus I was able to take him home at 5ish weeks instead of taking an already neutered kitten home at 6-7 weeks.
You post this without photos?!

Reactions: 9 users
You post this without photos?!
Tehehe...
zfUNyQ2.jpg

A8wCOy0.jpg

Hq7fpX4.jpg

oXfCtkA.jpg

tbqPYld.jpg

MhmXJUM.jpg

Reactions: 18 users
Sigh. I just scoped some yarn/string/whatever that looked <exactly> like that out of a cat yesterday. Goof.

(I'm teasing. I let my cats play with string, too. Can always scope them, too.)

Cute kitten. :)
Hehe, I joked about giving him a linear fb right off the bat when I took the pic. I was knitting so one end was attached to a large ball and the other to @Trilt's future scarf :)

So references have been checked and all they need to do now is a home visit! The dog I originally wanted was adopted out to someone who was waiting longer than I was. This one they've matched me with seems super sweet and is very petite for a husky (35-40 pounds) and is very calm and good with cats. What kinds of things can I do to prepare for a home visit? Is this a hard hurdle to get across? They know I live in an apartment.

So references have been checked and all they need to do now is a home visit! The dog I originally wanted was adopted out to someone who was waiting longer than I was. This one they've matched me with seems super sweet and is very petite for a husky (35-40 pounds) and is very calm and good with cats. What kinds of things can I do to prepare for a home visit? Is this a hard hurdle to get across? They know I live in an apartment.
I thought you said your apartment doesn't allow huskies?

I've never had to do a home check for a rescue, but my understanding is they're just looking to make sure your home isn't a dangerous environment for the dog/you're not a hoarder. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I thought you said your apartment doesn't allow huskies?

I've never had to do a home check for a rescue, but my understanding is they're just looking to make sure your home isn't a dangerous environment for the dog/you're not a hoarder. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
And I'm pretty sure some places don't care so much what vet papers say the dog is and will judge based on what the dog looks like. Has the rescue been given a copy of your lease agreement? I assume that would list the restricted breeds and they would want to know, even if a were to vet sign off on the dog as being a shiba mix.

I was able to work it out with my apartment complex. There are no breed restrictions listed in the lease... they go off an Indiana aggressive breeds list that I still can't seem to find. Anyways, I'm just waiting back to hear from the volunteer about setting up a home visit. Kinda nervous and hope I pass! I'm planning on making sure everything is tidy. It's a small space, but the rescue knows that.

@Caiter92 @SkiOtter

What kinds of things can I do to prepare for a home visit? Is this a hard hurdle to get across?

Depends on who your home visit volunteer is and the adoption philosophy of the organization. I've done them before and I'm pretty chill about doing them - mostly just checking that what the person put on their application is true (eg if you said your apartment complex has a fenced doggy exercise area, is that true? If they said there aren't any other pets or kids in the home, is that true?). Also just chatting with the adopter to make sure they've thought through some of the basics and understand the adoption process. If the person doesn't already have a dog I'll sometimes bring one of mine to see how the interact.

It shouldn't be a difficult hurdle to pass. When I do home checks, I'm usually looking to make sure:

1. the potential adopter didn't lie in their application
2. that they've thought about what having a dog means in terms of time, finances, and commitment (and that they've thought about what the individual dog that they applied for needs to be successful)
3. that there aren't any crazy red flags

Some people in the organization I volunteer for turn it into the Spanish Inquisition though... (A few adopters have mentioned feeling very judged at their home check.) So be prepared for either, I guess?

Depends on who your home visit volunteer is and the adoption philosophy of the organization. I've done them before and I'm pretty chill about doing them - mostly just checking that what the person put on their application is true (eg if you said your apartment complex has a fenced doggy exercise area, is that true? If they said there aren't any other pets or kids in the home, is that true?). Also just chatting with the adopter to make sure they've thought through some of the basics and understand the adoption process. If the person doesn't already have a dog I'll sometimes bring one of mine to see how the interact.

It shouldn't be a difficult hurdle to pass. When I do home checks, I'm usually looking to make sure:

1. the potential adopter didn't lie in their application
2. that they've thought about what having a dog means in terms of time, finances, and commitment (and that they've thought about what the individual dog that they applied for needs to be successful)
3. that there aren't any crazy red flags

Some people in the organization I volunteer for turn it into the Spanish Inquisition though... (A few adopters have mentioned feeling very judged at their home check.) So be prepared for either, I guess?

This helps so much thanks! They changed the status of the dog online to Pending! They know I live an apartment and I told them of the animals that I have and my parents told them what my roommates have. We do have a fence with the apartment complex, I didn't get it measured just kind of guessed how high and how big it was? Hopefully that isn't a red flag. I wasn't going to buy anything beforehand but I have ideas where the crate will go and where to keep her food, etc.

Home visit is set for Friday! She said it will be very quick (about 10-20 minutes) just to make sure I'm not a hoarder or anything. Hopefully I'll pass!

Nah, don't worry about the fence guestimate. It's not like you're going to be letting the dog out to wander around the apartment complex by itself in the fenced area anyway. And if the visit is only 10-20 minutes, they're probably just taking a quick look around to make sure you're not nuts.

Here are some things that raised eyebrows or resulted in denials at places I've worked/volunteered (hopefully it will make you feel better about your chances)

-A woman stating that her dogs only ate Chinese food because that's what was best for their nutrition (truly!)

-A guy who wanted to adopt, but had multiple complaints from neighbors that resulted in Animal Control welfare visits and warnings.

-Somebody who lied about their address (volunteer showed up to the home visit and the actual homeowners were very confused)

-People who want to adopt a species or breed of animal when it is restricted in their county, city, or apartment building. (Happens a lot... Sometimes they just didn't know, sometimes they are just liars trying to skirt the system.)

-A guy who wanted to adopt a dog to be his emotional support animal before even meeting the dog, despite the fact that the breed was banned in his apartment building and he had never seen a doctor about the condition he felt he needed an ESA for. (This adoption actually went through and then the dog came back because his landlord threatened legal action about the surprise pit bull in the apartment that had no ESA letter...)

-Teenagers wanting to adopt without their parents approval.

-A woman whose previous dog died of complications from untreated fly strike

-People whose dogs are reactive and try to eat the faces off of the potential new dog during a dog meet

-A woman who wanted to adopt a cat because it was pretty even though it was not recommended for a household with children because her 6-year old child was "special" and very good with animals. (She changed her mind when she found out that the cat responded to the stress of its last home by urinating and defecating on the bed, shoes, clothing, and toys of the previous owner's child.)

-A family with rowdy and ill-behaved children (ages, 2, 4 and 7) completely overwhelming a nervous dog. No effort from the parents or children to work with the dog in an appropriate way despite multiple staff suggestions / interventions. The dog eventually became so fearful that staff felt like they needed to remove it from the room so that a child was not bitten. The mother went postal because the staff cut the visit short for the safety of her children.

Not all of these were straight denials of adoption, but it did lead to additional conversation (and some outright denials). People are fun.