Do research experiences expire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbdnontrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of college for nearly six years and had a couple of research experiences from my undergrad that I was hoping would still "count" as research experience. I'm planning to apply to med school in 2014, so the next 12-18 months are going to be very packed with pre-reqs, MCATs, shadowing and clinical volunteering but little time for a good research role.

Here are two older experience about which I am curious:

I worked in a physics lab at one of the top physics departments for 3 full months (~40 hrs/week) during the summer of 2004. Is that too old to be relevant when I apply?

I wrote a thesis/independent work in 2007 but it was not lab/science research. It was more in the realm of applied math--large amount of data gathering, going through data, analysis, etc. Is this "research" in terms of what medical schools are looking for? And if so, is 2007 too old?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the back of your Research Milk Carton. In addition to a missing child, there's the expiration date of your research.

Serious answer: no expiration.

They want to know that you are capable of doing research and that you are able to see that research through from beginning to end. The skill set and knowledge you gain from doing research are what they are after and those do not expire.

As far your 2007 experience, it seems to me that if you were doing analysis on your collected data, aka research, that you can probably chalk that one up in the research category. It has been discussed on these boards whether Adcoms want to see medically relevant research, or just any research experience, and the consensus is that they are not concerned with what field you conducted your research in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools want you to give an accounting of EVERYTHING you did since graduating high school (I think Wisconsin and the Texas system). In that regard, it doesn't expire. As far as listing in your 15 extracurriculars go...it's up to you how to include it.

I would include both. I did, with similar experiences, although mine were from the mid-90's.

So I think you're good. ;)