Advisor drastically changing experiences doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woktheline

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y’all!

So I am writing my experiences doc and really enjoyed a Youtube walkthrough video of what to NOT do in writing them. It encouraged me to be myself and focus on telling stories about each in a way that was actually pretty fun and engaging.

HOWEVER, I sent a first draft of this to my premed advisor (the "premier package" done through a private company I will not name) and they completely eviscerated me. He/she took some of my stories, deleted them and put bulleted lists in their place sometimes, sometimes with generic and cheesy statements that I could barely read out loud without getting a toothache. They even left comments for me to outright say "how I’ve grown," when it is my understanding the stories ought to do that on their own (i.e. show not tell…?).

My problem is that I know he/she’s gotten tons of people into medical school (fairly sure they boast 100% success rate of their applicants over decade) – what should I do?

I want to respect their knowledge and expertise, but I absolutely hate the cookie cutter crap I have to say in place of some of my original stories. It came as a surprise given how much many have emphasized the latter in podcasts and videos.

Thoughts?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you get your money back if you don't get in? You're paying them for a reason, so just bite the bullet and accept that you have to "play the game."

Worse comes to worse, you reapply and go your own way on the document...

Reactions: 1 user
PERSONALLY, I think bullet points are tacky, but what do I know? I went with/tried for more story telling/engagement than just listing what I did. Applied to 26 schools and got 9 IIs (6 MD and 3 DO). Everyone has a different way of doing things. I stuck with how I could keep my application authentic and something I was proud to submit. You still have plenty of time to revise things, so give it some time and come back to it. Chances are you will think of a different way to write about an experience and want to change it anyway. Putting together the app is SO hard and exhausting at times, but you've got this!

Reactions: 1 user