Do residencies care about prior work history?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohopeful13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is definitely a neurotic incoming MS1 post but bear with me. I found out today that I’ve been fired from one of my part time job (PRN position I usually work once a month). My old supervisor left and the new one never really communicated with me well. In fact, I haven’t worked a shift there since February. I was planning to give notice as I leave for school, but they beat me to the punch today with a termination letter today. Is there anyway this would matter for ERAS/residency apps in 3 years? I know getting fired generally doesn’t look good on work history and the job is a somewhat clinically relevant one. I was wondering if this is something that will matter at all down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

Won’t matter one bit. Your application will never show how the job ended. Everyone will assume you left for school. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user
This is definitely a neurotic incoming MS1 post but bear with me. I found out today that I’ve been fired from one of my part time job (PRN position I usually work once a month). My old supervisor left and the new one never really communicated with me well. In fact, I haven’t worked a shift there since February. I was planning to give notice as I leave for school, but they beat me to the punch today with a termination letter today. Is there anyway this would matter for ERAS/residency apps in 3 years? I know getting fired generally doesn’t look good on work history and the job is a somewhat clinically relevant one. I was wondering if this is something that will matter at all down the road?
Why would you list a job you got fired from on a residency app?

Members don't see this ad :)
It wasn’t “job performance” per se. I just had an understanding with my old supervisor about working very rarely. The new supervisor called me once to touch base and never followed up with work dates. Then I got the termination notice a few months later because I didn’t work my required 1 shift a month. I only worked there like once amonth but was there for 2 years. I always had a main job during my entire time there so there would be no gaps in employment if I left it out. I just wanted to see how thoroughly they check employment history. Doesn’t sound like they check very thoroughly.

This is a nothingburger. No one will care. If it's something you put minimal time into, you don't even have to list it on your ERAS application. if you do, no one will care.

Reactions: 2 users
As someone above said, I am not aware of any rules that mandate you to list every job you have ever had. There are multiple jobs that I worked during undergrad like being a information desk worker that I will not put on my ERAS because it was done purely for money. All I did was sit at the desk because college rules required someone to be there at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
this is next level neurotic.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

This is how I left my job for med school. In fact, it's the only way of quitting a job like a boss.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
this is next level neurotic.

Trust me, I know haha. It's just this was a hospital job (albeit non clinical) and the hospital is part of a pretty decent sized corporation that owns many hospitals. I didn't know if getting fired here would affect me down the road. It's extremely minor but neuroticism gets the best of at times!

Zero