Do residencies know which 4th-year electives we take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEugenius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residencies know which electives we take in fourth year?

Do these electives go on ERAS (including their grades)?

If so, do residencies care what we take?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No. At least for my school, only grades up through the end of 3rd year were submitted with ERAS.

Do residencies know which electives we take in fourth year?

Do these electives go on ERAS (including their grades)?

If so, do residencies care what we take?

Thanks!

No.

Of note, one random program I interviewed at decided to ask that to interviewees.

That said, to the best of my knowledge, once your application is submitted in the fall, they have no way of knowing your electives or for that matter your grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
No.

Of note, one random program I interviewed at decided to ask that to interviewees.

That said, to the best of my knowledge, once your application is submitted in the fall, they have no way of knowing your electives or for that matter your grades.
Thanks for the response.

I should add: Would they know what 4th-year electives we have done before submitting our applications?

Thanks for the response.

I should add: Would they know what 4th-year electives we have done before submitting our applications?

I am not sure about that, but I think so. I think I recall transcripts being updated to the most recent month because there was some commotion about students not getting their evaluations in from their most recent electives, etc. It probably varies to some degree across schools where some report to a tee the month prior whereas some may just do M3 and prior only across the board. Why not just send an email to any one of your admin and/or curriculum committee representative? It seems like something they would be able to give you a fairly straightforward answer to.

Thanks for the response.

Depends on what appears on your transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
4th year rotations and the grades prior to the date of submission are not infrequently listed on the MSPE.

Check when your school sends your transcripts - I think some early rotations might show up on ours. You might also get asked during interviews. And if you get any letters from the rotations, then obviously they’ll know that

Definitely yes for me. I had a program say, “so I see you rotated at XYZ” talking about one of my away rotations during an interview.

However, this away was finished prior to apps going out to programs. I don’t think they can see rotations you haven’t completed yet, just ones on your transcript.