Take fun 4th year elective or SICU month (for anesthesia)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fourth year student with above average grades and scores.

I have a SICU month scheduled right before applications for residency, but there is an interesting elective involving sleep medicine that I wanted to take.

Our school includes fourth year electives on our transcripts.

Will residencies care if I don’t take the SICU month and opt out for something interesting (albeit easier) instead?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's difficult to imagine something they could care less about.

Take whatever elective you want that will make you happy. I always recommend doing things that you might never get to do again that could tangentially be related to your field (I do EM, so I tell students to look at electives in Derm, Ophtho, etc. which aren't necessarily strenuous, but niche in content). For other students, getting more critical care time is what they want. Do what makes you happy - you're paying for it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Take whatever elective you want that will make you happy. I always recommend doing things that you might never get to do again that could tangentially be related to your field (I do EM, so I tell students to look at electives in Derm, Ophtho, etc. which aren't necessarily strenuous, but niche in content). For other students, getting more critical care time is what they want. Do what makes you happy - you're paying for it.
Thank you for the response.

Does this apply to very competitive residencies as well?

I always figured that students who could talk about their fourth-year SICU (or any other impressive electives) would be better off than those with vacation months and radiology.

Members don't see this ad :)

This cracked me up. I can't believe you have the audacity to recommend happiness!

This is some great advice!

Fourth year student with above average grades and scores.

I have a SICU month scheduled right before applications for residency, but there is an interesting elective involving sleep medicine that I wanted to take.

Our school includes fourth year electives on our transcripts.

Will residencies care if I don’t take the SICU month and opt out for something interesting (albeit easier) instead?

Thanks!

They will not care. You will get ICU time as an intern before you get to CA-1 year no matter what. I'd personally recommend the easier and potentially more enjoyable 4th year elective 10/10 times.