do residency and have a life ! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowinter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just finished my first week as an intern at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore. I'm having a really good time. I thought I'd give you some thoughts on the program and location ... for those of you who are already thinking about your ERAS application.

1. Residency:
the program takes the 80 hour work-week very seriously. We have a night float system! (a must have for all residency programs) ... and so call is then q7 or 2 calls in a 4 week period. Didactics are very important here.. every friday from 8-noon all the residents go to class .. and the attendings / midwives take over all the services so we are not constantly being paged while in class... (so during that time the nurses page the attendings .. not us!)
Also, UMMC has Shock Trauma (you know the pink scrubs) and so we get all the high risk OB cases before any other hospital in the state.

2. On Location and having a Life:
Baltimore is a fabulous city and the hospital is right in the heart of the downtown inner harbor area. You can walk to tons of resturants/bars ..my most recent favorite place is this great korean barbeque place on Charles st. or take a boat ride w/in 5-10 minutes walking distance of the hospital.
I live about 2 minutes walking distance door to door from the hospital..which is great. There are about 15 very reasonably priced "luxury apartments" w/in walking distance of the hospital (24 hours security,free breakfast, covered parking, cookies, kind of like hotels) Baltimore is also a great city for buying a house.. several of my co-interns have bought houses - and have very easy commutes (unlike Newyork, or DC) ... Baltimore is growing very very quickly...so it's a great time to buy a house .. here...

let me know if you have any questions! good luck with the ERAS application/interviews & come check us out.

Members don't see this ad.

this is great! thanks :) sounds like a great program too!

any other folks just starting their internship also like to put 2 cents in about their respective programs? we 4th years would really appreciate it!!

thanks!!

What is the name of your "luxury apartment" complex? I am doing my internship at Maryland General right down the street from you. I am currently commuting from D.C. but thinking of moving to Baltimore.

Members don't see this ad :)
LHCF said:
What is the name of your "luxury apartment" complex? I am doing my internship at Maryland General right down the street from you. I am currently commuting from D.C. but thinking of moving to Baltimore.

check out: http://www.redwoodtowers.com

there are several others .. charles towers, camden courts, etc. go to the ummc website and look under housing. if i get a chance, i will find the link ...

hi dear snowinter, i am currently in a university OB/gyn program PGY1 and want to move back to maryland since I was living in maryland before. I am really home sick..:) . Could you please kindly help me and give me some more info about transfering to your program for PGY2?

I agree with you... Baltimore is a cool city. Except, well, you don't exactly do anything at shock trauma (or am I wrong?). I believe if you plan on Baltimore for OBGYN there really is only one choice... not UMd or Maryland General, but Johns Hopkins; I am sure you guys have your own copy of TeLindes- the true pioneers are from Hopkins.

For anyone planning on Baltimore... Canton, Fell's point or Federal Hill AND NO WHERE ELSE. My personal favorite is Canton- alot of young professionals, good looking crowd, very, very safe. Please consider it.