Do residency programs look down on non-clinical, PhD research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueblueblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS I and really interested in doing some research with a PhD PI over the summer. However, I've been told by other med students that if it's not an MD PI to not bother with it as the competitive residencies "look down" on research that is not clinically based.

Now, I'm not looking for advice on whether or not I should accept the project (notwithstanding any other emergency, I'll most likely go through with it). I'm just wondering if this is true and if residencies programs really care that you're doing non-clinical research.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard that before. It's certainly helpful if the research is in whatever field you're interested in going into, but it's hard to know that as an MS1. Research is research. Have fun this summer.

I am an MS I and really interested in doing some research with a PhD PI over the summer. However, I've been told by other med students that if it's not an MD PI to not bother with it as the competitive residencies "look down" on research that is not clinically based.

Now, I'm not looking for advice on whether or not I should accept the project (notwithstanding any other emergency, I'll most likely go through with it). I'm just wondering if this is true and if residencies programs really care that you're doing non-clinical research.

Quite the opposite. Basic science research if published in a decent journal always trumps clinical research. However, it's more difficult to publish basic science with the limited time allotted in medical school. Your goal is to get one first author basic science paper and multiple clinical papers by mid September of the year you are applying for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard that before. It's certainly helpful if the research is in whatever field you're interested in going into, but it's hard to know that as an MS1. Research is research. Have fun this summer.

I thought so! Thanks for your response!

...Your goal is to get one first author basic science paper and multiple clinical papers by mid September of the year you are applying for residency.

Hmmm... that's sounds like a great and feasible plan. Thanks!

I would second the idea that basic science research is just too long and hard and less likely to be fruitful. But if it works out, then good for you. And if you actually like basic science research, you should consider MD/PHD or MSTP.

Your classmates are lying to you.

And 1 first author basic science paper + multiple clinical papers. I don't think this is realistic at all, but don't let me stop you from trying.