DO residency with MD Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbtk18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I rotated with a doc who went this rout---albeit 20+ years ago. Is this difficult to accomplish? these days?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty soon it'll be impossible. The ACGME wants to make it a requirement for doing an MD fellowship to have completed an MD residency program. I don't know if its official yet but I think it will begin in 2013

Members don't see this ad :)
may not matter as much for ortho as so many ortho fellowship aren't ACGME accredited anyway.

How is that even possible? What is the point of even doing one?

Edit: please forgive my ignorance

Last edited:
How is that even possible? What is the point of even doing one?

Edit: please forgive my ignorance

Orthopaedic subspecialties do not have specific "exams" after fellowship (except the Hand Surgery CAQ) that one must qualify to take by being a graduate of an ACGME fellowship.

By being in a non-accredited fellowship, there are benefits to the fellow (ability to moonlight, operate as a junior attending without direct supervision when appropriate) and to the fellowship program (able to bill as a co-surgeon or bill full price for procedures done without the attending because you are essentially hired on as a full fledged graduate of a residency program). There is not a whole lot of downside to doing a non-accredited fellowship, and some of the very best are not accredited.

Orthopaedic subspecialties do not have specific "exams" after fellowship (except the Hand Surgery CAQ) that one must qualify to take by being a graduate of an ACGME fellowship.

By being in a non-accredited fellowship, there are benefits to the fellow (ability to moonlight, operate as a junior attending without direct supervision when appropriate) and to the fellowship program (able to bill as a co-surgeon or bill full price for procedures done without the attending because you are essentially hired on as a full fledged graduate of a residency program). There is not a whole lot of downside to doing a non-accredited fellowship, and some of the very best are not accredited.

Gotcha. Thanks!! Tremendously helpful.

Pretty soon it'll be impossible. The ACGME wants to make it a requirement for doing an MD fellowship to have completed an MD residency program. I don't know if its official yet but I think it will begin in 2013

Proposed. Will take effect 2015 if approved.

Will those who have started residency prior to 2015 be grandfathered into those proposed regulations? Or will those who are in a DO residency be SOL because they chose to go DO before there was any talk of the new ACGME regs?

Will those who have started residency prior to 2015 be grandfathered into those proposed regulations? Or will those who are in a DO residency be SOL because they chose to go DO before there was any talk of the new ACGME regs?

You will be hosed, as will the class below me, and the class below that. Even my class (2014) and the class above me are getting hosed....interviews are being withdrawn.

You will be hosed, as will the class below me, and the class below that. Even my class (2014) and the class above me are getting hosed....interviews are being withdrawn.

How so? And what do you mean by the interview comment?

So AGME fellowships are withdrawing interviews invites already extended to DO's who will graduate from DO residencies due to the preposed changes on the horizon?