Do RNs need to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychRN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if RNs working in clinical settings need to shadow and volunteer or does work count for experience enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I set up a shadowing opportunity (very brief) just to make sure that I had the base covered and to avoid any appearance of having an attitude that I knew all about what a physician does by being a nurse. Nobody ever really commented on it, so I don't know if it was good or neutral.

You don't need clinical volunteer experience, obviously, but some sort of volunteer experience would be ideal if you can swing it.

I don't think you need any formal shadowing time - you get enough of that at work. I work in a clinical setting, did no extra shadowing time, and have done fine. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. You don't need to shadow.

I agree with the no shadowing needed. The purpose of shadowing is for the young students to get a glimpse of what a doctor may do from day to day.

I didn't have any shadowing experience when I applied, only 3 years ICU and 3 years ER. Adcoms seemed to be satisfied with that.

well since this thread seems to be nurses speaking, I have some questions to ask. I graduate in May with my bsn. Throughout my entire life I have wanted to be a doctor, and it has really been nagging at me since starting nursing school. Well, I thought that going to med school was unattainable for me and let my gpa fall (it's currently a 2.94). I still need to take "real" chemistries, o chem, and physics. I am almost 100 % positive I could make a's in these, as my gpa was just a product of me slacking off, but now it's like I have something to work for. Anyways, any of you think I have a chance of getting into a med school? I'm thinking my only chance is DO, but I'm not even sure they'd take me :scared: .

lillace said:
well since this thread seems to be nurses speaking, I have some questions to ask. I graduate in May with my bsn. Throughout my entire life I have wanted to be a doctor, and it has really been nagging at me since starting nursing school. Well, I thought that going to med school was unattainable for me and let my gpa fall (it's currently a 2.94). I still need to take "real" chemistries, o chem, and physics. I am almost 100 % positive I could make a's in these, as my gpa was just a product of me slacking off, but now it's like I have something to work for. Anyways, any of you think I have a chance of getting into a med school? I'm thinking my only chance is DO, but I'm not even sure they'd take me :scared: .
Yea ( I'm a medstudent now 18 years RN), but I suggest you practice nursing for the next two years and kick butt in school. Also volunteer some during this time. Good grades, good MCAT (30 or better) 2 years Nursing, Volunteering and yea you may have a shot at a US school, if not one of the Caribbean schools either way it can be done.

Good Luck.

My GPA from undergrad was right under 3.1 That was after 5 years of college (I really screwed around looking for my niche and never found it the first time).

I ended up retaking algebra, chem etc to make A's in them and try to bring my GPA up. This also helped me to prepare for the MCAT. I took pretty much all science classes and after 3 years my GPA was still only a 3.3 or maybe just a bit higher or lower. After you have alot of college hours the GPA doesn't move much. I forget how many hours I took when I went back but I made A's in every class. I think this showed that I was committed.

The best thing to do is try to kick butt on MCAT. It can be done with alot of work and practice. I'd say you have a good shot. I had interviews at most of the MD schools I applied to and all of the DO schools. My backup was the carribian and I wouldn't have hesitated to go if that's what it came down to.

burntcrispy said:
My GPA from undergrad was right under 3.1 That was after 5 years of college (I really screwed around looking for my niche and never found it the first time).

I ended up retaking algebra, chem etc to make A's in them and try to bring my GPA up. This also helped me to prepare for the MCAT. I took pretty much all science classes and after 3 years my GPA was still only a 3.3 or maybe just a bit higher or lower. After you have alot of college hours the GPA doesn't move much. I forget how many hours I took when I went back but I made A's in every class. I think this showed that I was committed.

The best thing to do is try to kick butt on MCAT. It can be done with alot of work and practice. I'd say you have a good shot. I had interviews at most of the MD schools I applied to and all of the DO schools. My backup was the carribian and I wouldn't have hesitated to go if that's what it came down to.

Yeah, the gpa not moving much is what I am afraid of. I also have a lot of hours :(, b/c I was a music major at one point. Well, I am trying to make a's this semester, and then start post-bacc in the summer. I was hoping that if they saw a steady trend in a's they would hopefully grant me an interview, but I am afraid that maybe they see this a lot and wouldn't want me anyways. I was thinking of volunteering at some homeless clinics etc., b/c I want to and it would sound good. My sister says I should join the peace corps and then I would have a good resume :laugh: . I love nursing, but I also want to be the one giving orders, and NP just won't work for me.

lillace said:
. I love nursing, but I also want to be the one giving orders, and NP just won't work for me.
it's funny, i think this turned into I was once a nurse now a doctor thread! :D i am a RN and about to start this fall. same as everyone else above, didn't make the best course choices, didn't do that well on the mcat but I finally got in. despite what others have said, grades, gpa, mcat. don't give up!! keep studying, beef up your application, get good LOR's, there's always a way.....

I don't know if the volunteering stuff is really necessary. Most schools have a formula where they put in your gpa and MCAT and spit out a number. If you don't make the cut above their interview threshold that year you get passed by.

Your time would probably be better spent studying for MCAT and classes. From my experience, it seems like the volunteer/shadowing etc was more useful for people straight from High School to College going straight to med school. I was actually suprised to find that most of the students at my medical school had never held a job in their life!! For those people, the shadowing type stuff is important. For a nurse, not so much.

Good luck.