DO School admittance without Committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp104

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I find myself in a quandry. The school I attend as a Post-bacc only gives committee letters if you've taken 6 science classes there. Because of work and monetary concerns, I will have only completed 3 courses there, with the other 3 science coures taken at other institutions.

My alma mater will probably not provide a committee letter to me due to my past grades.

Just curious if anyone has been accepted to a DO school without a comittee letter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My UG instistution didn't have a committee, just use 2 science profs to write you one. That is what I did.

Thanks for responding!! You have a very good reason why you don't have a comittee letter (no committee). I can't use that as an explanation for my lack of a letter though :(

Just wondering if there's anyone else who's gotten acceptance into a DO school without a letter from a university that has a comittee.

Thanks!

PS: Congrats on KCUMB!

Members don't see this ad :)
My school, a large state school, will not write committee letters at all, they only offer a letter collection service. All the schools I applied to allow you to substitue these with LOR's from science professors. I have 2 acceptances so far and will hear back in the next couple weeks about 2 more. It's nothing to worry about!

jp104 said:
Hi all,

So I find myself in a quandry. The school I attend as a Post-bacc only gives committee letters if you've taken 6 science classes there. Because of work and monetary concerns, I will have only completed 3 courses there, with the other 3 science coures taken at other institutions.

My alma mater will probably not provide a committee letter to me due to my past grades.

Just curious if anyone has been accepted to a DO school without a comittee letter.

Thanks!

When I applied I didn't want to use a committee letter because I wasn't pleased with my overall science grades (I thought the committee letter might not be too flattering) so I bypassed the committee and picked 2 of my science professors in whose classes I did well and had them write me letters. None of the schools asked about it and I got in with no problem.

During an open house at a DO school I was talking to the director of admissions. The director asked me about my undergrad and told me how well she knew the pre-med director at my undergrad. When she asked if I met my premed director I told her I had not and was not planning on using a committee letter. She did not ask why and this was not an issue in my application process at other schools as well.

Most schools will take 2 science LORs in place of a committee letter but PCOM requires a bit more than that.

Interfolio was a nice service to use when not using the premed office.

I did not use my committe because I did not know that the deadline for the letter would be so early. I waltzed into the premed office for the first time last year in february and was told I had 1 week to get LORs from ALL of my science professors to get a letter in the summer. Otherwise I would have to wait until fall for a letter around October. Also I heard they had a very high acceptance rate due to their selectivity of who to recommend. Seemed like too much stress and found a way around that from SDN. Yes, it's a lame reason.

jp104 said:
Just wondering if there's anyone else who's gotten acceptance into a DO school without a letter from a university that has a comittee.

jp104 said:
Thanks for responding!! You have a very good reason why you don't have a comittee letter (no committee). I can't use that as an explanation for my lack of a letter though :(

Thanks!

PS: Congrats on KCUMB!

My undergrad had a comitee. I didn't interview with them and chose to go with the two science professors. I have been accepted to multiple schools and don't think it really makes a difference.

can someone extrapolate on what PCOM requires if you cant get a premed committee letter? i heard they're pretty hard-up on it

instead of an extrapolation I will tell you exactly what is needed. Please call PCOm to confirm because it's your future:

PCOM is very specific that you MUST have a premed committee letter. As a substitute you may use 2 science LOR along with a letter from your dean or academic advisor. There was a big thread on this earlier. I used my biochem academic advisor and received an interview invite. I'm a transfer student so I only met my advisor one other time to change my minor.

so for you
get 2 science LORs
get LOR from academic advisor. This letter must:
be dated and signed
on official letterhead
*must clearly state that it is your academic advisor*
state you are in good standing(hopefully this is actually the case)
preferably sent from the school/advisor

HunterGatherer said:
instead of an extrapolation I will tell you exactly what is needed. Please call PCOm to confirm because it's your future:

PCOM is very specific that you MUST have a premed committee letter. As a substitute you may use 2 science LOR along with a letter from your dean or academic advisor. There was a big thread on this earlier. I used my biochem academic advisor and received an interview invite. I'm a transfer student so I only met my advisor one other time to change my minor.

so for you
get 2 science LORs
get LOR from academic advisor. This letter must:
be dated and signed
on official letterhead
*must clearly state that it is your academic advisor*
state you are in good standing(hopefully this is actually the case)
preferably sent from the school/advisor

well here's the deal: i graduated undergrad about 3 years ago and was an economics major.. i know NO ONE in the science departments, let alone premed advisors.. i had a crappy undergrad gpa and i doubt anyone from undergrad remembers me, but am finishing my science prereqs at my local comm college and have straight A's in them.. in essence, i have no academic advisor at the school im taking my current classes.. it sounds like PCOM is trying to get all technical when it comes to people like me who have straightened out themselves and are rockin and rolling since after undergrad.

My LOR from my dean was about 2 sentences long. It should not be too difficult to get a hold of your dean for this in a CC. Call PCOM to verify everything and set up an appointment with the dean. Getting this LOR should not take even 3 hours of your life! I thought it was a hassle but in reality it took about 1 hour of my time.

:luck:

cee said:
well here's the deal: i graduated undergrad about 3 years ago and was an economics major.. i know NO ONE in the science departments, let alone premed advisors.. i had a crappy undergrad gpa and i doubt anyone from undergrad remembers me, but am finishing my science prereqs at my local comm college and have straight A's in them.. in essence, i have no academic advisor at the school im taking my current classes.. it sounds like PCOM is trying to get all technical when it comes to people like me who have straightened out themselves and are rockin and rolling since after undergrad.

HunterGatherer said:
My LOR from my dean was about 2 sentences long. It should not be too difficult to get a hold of your dean for this in a CC. Call PCOM to verify everything and set up an appointment with the dean. Getting this LOR should not take even 3 hours of your life! I thought it was a hassle but in reality it took about 1 hour of my time.

:luck:
wait a minute.. i can use the dean from my CC? i thought PCOM ONLY wants deans/premed advisors from the UG school you went to.. and what did your LOR from your dean say "uhh ya, he went here and finished in the year 200X.. we dont know much about him after that.. thanks, peace out."???

something like:
"I am student's biochem academic advisor. student has X GPA. He is currently in good standing."

Maybe I got lucky. Like I said give them a call and explain your situation.

If you do a search there is also another way around this. It was a pretty large thread.

cee said:
wait a minute.. i can use the dean from my CC? i thought PCOM ONLY wants deans/premed advisors from the UG school you went to.. and what did your LOR from your dean say "uhh ya, he went here and finished in the year 200X.. we dont know much about him after that.. thanks, peace out."???

Not having a committee letter is def. okay. My university offers them, but I chose not to go through them. At first I was concerned with my decision, but after getting accepted I knew it didn't make any difference. Good luck :luck: