DO School Categorization: Urban, Suburban or Rural

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RumDMC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a good source for finding which DO schools are in Urban, suburban or rural areas?

Most of the schools I'm not familiar with their cities to know what it would be like.
Also, is there an equivalent to the MSAR's listing of average GPA/MCAT per school. I dont see it in the CIB

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no resource that has all the stats for each school like the MSAR. The CIB has the area designation for each school

Reactions: 1 users
I just opened the list of all the schools and spent some decent time looking them up on Google maps, followed by looking up their respective cities (or nearby cities) on Wikipedia. Just looking at the definitions of "urban, suburban, or rural" isn't going to help you much, because a school might be classified as one of those things but be ~20 minutes from a city. Just try and do some research and find locations that match your needs.

There's an excel document on sdn with the average mcat/gpa of most DO schools

DO schools MCAT and GPA scores

Awesome chart, definitely helps get things started at least.

The CIB map helps with choosing US area (cold weather is a huge detractor) but I think I'll have to do what fldoctorgirl said and wikipedia/Google maps it. I may post what I come up with for others.

Wish CIB was as good as msar, I'd like to know more breakdowns of IS v OOS etc

Reactions: 1 user

AACOM has an interactive map/table with that data for the 2016 entering class. It'd be nice if they combined the applicant and matriculant data, but it's still useful for looking at regional bias.

I don't have the privilege to post outside links yet, but just google "Applicants and Matriculants by U.S. States/Territories & COM: Entering Class 2016"

OSU, TCOM, and OUHCOM all have 90%+ IS. MSU is heavily IS bias but I think the percentage is below 90%. Rowan and PCOM have pretty significant regional biases for the NE but it isn’t quite as difficult to overcome it as it is at the state schools. PWNU has a significant regional bias as well for the NW. Everyone else will have some sort of regional bias but mostly just due to people from the region applying, not because they select for it.