Terrible chem/phys grades, got a second degree, redemption possible? DO or CNM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RNtoMDHopefully

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I'm not sure where to begin so I'll just lay out my questions, and then the facts. It's not pretty. I was a horrible, depressed student for the first 2 years of school (2015-2017). I failed and retook classes and didn't really know what I was doing and didn't really care. I'm almost 30 now. I have 2 degrees. I am now registering for some classes at CC and trying to decide which path to pursue - CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) or OBGYN.

1. Should I bother?
2. What classes should I retake?
3. When should I take the MCAT?

---

Degrees:
1. BS Biology, 2019
2. BS Nursing, 2026

cGPA - 3.07
AACOMAS sGPA - 3.21

Possibly interesting things -
1. Worked in infectious disease research lab from 2017-2019 - Resulted in one 3rd author publication - infectious disease research
2. Medical scribe for ~ 6 months in 2019 as a cheap gig before next position
3. Did T cell immunology/oncology research at HMS from 2020-2022 - no pubs, lowly RA
4. Clinical Research at MGH, full time (oncology) from 2022 - ongoing - no pubs
5. Enrolled in nursing school 2024-2026 - graduated with a 4.0, summa cum laude
5. Working in Labor & Delivery as a student nurse (paid, part time) and now an RN (full time) from Nov 2025 - ongoing

---

Background - Basically entirely failed first semester of college (2015), two of my very best friends passed away in really awful circumstances and I developed a full body rash and basically felt like my whole life was falling apart. I was 17, I gave up. Did not get help. No family to lean on. Transferred schools. Only really cared about research and finishing my BS in Biology. Didn't take physics or chem seriously. Worked in an infectious disease lab from 2017-2019, really saw myself going to a PhD program for microbiology/infectious disease (specifically a disease impacting AIDS/Immunocompromised patients).

Worked with a student group for Planned Parenthood in TX from 2016-2019. Worked as a scribe for a derm-onc clinic for 6 months. Ended up somehow landing an immuno-onc RA position at HMS in an extremely prominent lab, relocated to Boston in 2020 for this job. Had a baby and then changed jobs in 2022 to a position working in gyn-onc clinical research. Went remote for the gyn-onc job and moved back to TX to support my mother-in-law through breast cancer treatments in 2023 and still do this job, took nursing school pre-reqs, enrolled in a local BSN program in 2024, graduated summa cum laude while working 1 full time and 1 part time job and being a mom to a small child. Landed a job in my desired specialty, L&D, first as a student nurse and now as an RN.

I am considering CNM school in a few years, once I have more hours as a nurse under my belt. However, I would like to consider medical school. I love working with our OBGYNs. I want to be an OBGYN. I want to have the kind of knowledge and experience that allows me to practice with a wider scope, like an OBGYN. I like the CNM/Midwife model, but I want to be able to participate more fully and would like a license that is less encumbered. I think I will be happy as a CNM, but I will regret never even trying to become an OBGYN. Not sure if it's in the cards. I will be 30 in a few months and am scared I am running out of time to pursue this career. I feel like I'm resilient, I'm capable, I am determined to power through anything. I'm not who I was ages 17-20. How do I make AdComs believe it?

Pre-Requisites:

Bio Classes:

Bio 1/LecLab - A
Bio 2/LecLab - A
Microbio Lec/Lab - A
Biochem Lec/Lab - A-
Parasitology - A
Molecular Biology Lec/Lab - A
Cellular Biology Lec/Lab - A
Advanced Physiology Lec/Lab - A
Immunology - A
Bacteriology - B
Nutrition - A
Human A&P 1 Lec/Lab - A
Human A&P 2 Lec/Lab - A
Genetics + Lab - A
Microbial Genetics - A

Chem 1/LecLab- 2015 - F
Chem 1 Lec - 2017 - C
Chem 1 Lab - 2017 - C
Chem 2 Lec - C
Chem 2 Lab - C- (Must retake, right?)
O Chem 1 Lec - D - retook ->
O Chem 1 Lec - C
O Chem 1 Lab - B
O Chem 2 Lec - C
O Chem 2 Lab - B

Physics 1 - 2015 - F
Physics 1 Retake - 2016, hated it - F
Physics 1 Retake - took it while taking 13 other credits in which I got all As - C
Physics 1 Lab - B
Physics 2 - C
Physics 2 Lab - B

Other:
Psych 1 - A
Psych - human development - A
Sociology - A
Stats - A
Calculus - A


Nursing Coursework - 60 hours, straight As


Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
Why not NP?
It's a little difficult to put into words my reasons.
1. Oversaturated market
2. Programs are disorganized/unstandardized
3. In my opinion, most do not adequately prepare you for the responsibilities that you have (clear mismatch between education and responsibilities).
4. (This is vapid) it does not feel respected, likely due to a combination of the above

I have considered, and still am considering, pursuing Certified Nurse Midwife/Women's Health NP programs. I don't feel like they will give me access to the education, mentorship, or scope I desire to manage patient care. The scope they do have, I do not agree they are competently trained to practice under in many circumstances. This comes from my experience working with certified nurse midwives (unless they are truly, truly seasoned), and NPs who practice in ER and Family Medicine.

I know I would prefer to go through medical school and residency and come out more prepared to practice than go through an advanced nursing program, be ill-prepared, undereducated, and end up working under a physician anyhow. Becoming a certified nurse midwife is an option, and I will pursue it once I have more experience as a nurse unless I am able to pursue medical school.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When are you planning to take the MCAT? You would need a score of at least 500 to receive interviews at some of the newer schools.
I am planning to begin content review in September. I wasn't sure if I should retake chem/phys courses and THEN take the MCAT, or study/take the MCAT and then retake chem/phys courses if I score well enough for my applications to be viable.
 
Let's be clear that all of your earned grades in chemistry and physics will count in your application GPA. I'm not sure "killing the MCAT" is going to be enough to allay my concerns, even though no school is nitpicky about C/P subscores that I am aware of. But the academic narrative must be spun in your favor as much as possible.

Also, I would like to know whether your biology grades above were earned in classes appropriate for biology majors, rather than for allied health/nursing majors. Most schools require that level of rigor, so listing the course names and grades above won't be enough for me (most of those courses seem appropriate for a pre-nursing sequence).

I get the attraction to being a physician over being a nurse. While there is a nursing shortage, I agree that nurses are treated by our corporate health barons as disposible, and the horrible turnover, burnout, and work demands with relatively low pay aren't helping. I don't know if becoming a doctor really scratches your itch (you need to know this), but I don't see physicians as having an easier time, knowing there is so much turnover underneath them.

Age will not be considered a demerit for your file review. Have you considered other faster paths given your age concerns? Like why not Physician Assistant/Associate tracks, including Surgical Assistant or Anesthesiologist Assistant? I suspect they would be a bit more flexible with your work history. AnesthAssistants want an MCAT, and your chem/phys grades make me wary that AA is the right direction. But you have the healthcare and direct patient care hours with PA; I'd ask admissions faculty in those programs about that. And yes, I've shepherded a few nursing to PA applications. Those tracks take about 24-30 months to complete. Granted, PA programs are probably harder to get into than medical school, but do the homework before you send in your CASPA application. And pay attention to the fed loan caps and how that debt could play into your future (buying a car/house, child care/schooling, retirement, etc.).
 
Why not NP?
Sorry to respond twice. I have read your guide to reinvention. I am wondering if you would suggest retaking Physics 1/2 and Gen Chem 1/2 for me? I have a C- in Gen Chem 2 lab, so I understand that's a must. Would it be helpful to show that I am not the same careless idiot I was 10 years ago and retake those sequences altogether?

I am worried that if I don't retake them all, they won't see that I have changed. Nursing courses might show that I am now able to dedicate myself, just like maybe my biology courses can show I am capable of difficult(ish) material, but I know this doesn't show content mastery of things I failed at before.

I am struggling with structuring my plan to show content mastery, not sure that retaking Gen Chem 2 to offset a C- and performing very well on C/P sections is strong enough, but I also don't want to retake those sequences again and delay if it's not something you would advise to begin with, if that makes sense.
 
Let's be clear that all of your earned grades in chemistry and physics will count in your application GPA. I'm not sure "killing the MCAT" is going to be enough to allay my concerns, even though no school is nitpicky about C/P subscores that I am aware of. But the academic narrative must be spun in your favor as much as possible.

Also, I would like to know whether your biology grades above were earned in classes appropriate for biology majors, rather than for allied health/nursing majors. Most schools require that level of rigor, so listing the course names and grades above won't be enough for me (most of those courses seem appropriate for a pre-nursing sequence).

I get the attraction to being a physician over being a nurse. While there is a nursing shortage, I agree that nurses are treated by our corporate health barons as disposible, and the horrible turnover, burnout, and work demands with relatively low pay aren't helping. I don't know if becoming a doctor really scratches your itch (you need to know this), but I don't see physicians as having an easier time, knowing there is so much turnover underneath them.

Age will not be considered a demerit for your file review. Have you considered other faster paths given your age concerns? Like why not Physician Assistant/Associate tracks, including Surgical Assistant or Anesthesiologist Assistant? I suspect they would be a bit more flexible with your work history. AnesthAssistants want an MCAT, and your chem/phys grades make me wary that AA is the right direction. But you have the healthcare and direct patient care hours with PA; I'd ask admissions faculty in those programs about that. And yes, I've shepherded a few nursing to PA applications. Those tracks take about 24-30 months to complete. Granted, PA programs are probably harder to get into than medical school, but do the homework before you send in your CASPA application.
All of the biology grades were earned during my biology degree with the exception of nutrition, which I took specifically to satisfy nursing school pre-reqs, though it is coded as a biology course. I was able to use those courses to satisfy nursing school pre-requisites (micro/A&P/bio1/2).

I am hesitant to pursue PA school because I love attending births. The aspect of managing care does interest me, but I'm not sure if I can reconcile not being the primary birth attendant with the more in-depth education received at a PA program. I have a great deal of interest in maternal-fetal medicine, fertility, and managing complex obstetrical and gynecological cases.

One of the reasons I lean towards CNM over PA is the ability to be a primary birth attendant and manage general/normal care. One of the reasons I lean OBGYN > CNM is because I would like to learn more and then also be able to directly manage more complex cases than CNMs can manage. I know that many OBGYN and CNM groups that essentially allow CNMs to care for high-risk patients under almost direct supervision of an OB, but I would like to be able to practice without question and manage those cases without always ceding to an OB.

Overall, I am hesitant to pursue a CNM program because it doesn't feel good to give up patients and not be fully responsible for them. When labor goes wrong, having to shuffle them to a new provider to perform a cesarean without being the one to do it or be involved the entire time is hard to swallow. I know many places allow CNMs to act as first assists, but not sure how that actually works in practice because I've never worked with midwives who also act as first assists.
 
Post your score here in the future when available.
Thank you, I will. Would you suggest to retake my Gen Chem 1/2 and Phys 1/2 sequences before studying for the MCAT? Or study for the MCAT, see if it's a viable score, and then re-attempt coursework to show improved capabilities with regards to physics/chem?
 
Sorry to respond twice. I have read your guide to reinvention. I am wondering if you would suggest retaking Physics 1/2 and Gen Chem 1/2 for me? I have a C- in Gen Chem 2 lab, so I understand that's a must. Would it be helpful to show that I am not the same careless idiot I was 10 years ago and retake those sequences altogether?

I am worried that if I don't retake them all, they won't see that I have changed. Nursing courses might show that I am now able to dedicate myself, just like maybe my biology courses can show I am capable of difficult(ish) material, but I know this doesn't show content mastery of things I failed at before.

I am struggling with structuring my plan to show content mastery, not sure that retaking Gen Chem 2 to offset a C- and performing very well on C/P sections is strong enough, but I also don't want to retake those sequences again and delay if it's not something you would advise to begin with, if that makes sense.
Taking those courses is advised because you'll need to know that material for MCAT