DO School Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shafwa

ATSU-SOMA Class of 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working to narrow down which DO schools I should apply to this cycle (if I don't make it off the waitlist) and figured making a post would be a good place to start my research efforts. Here are my basic stats and what I'm looking for in a school:

cGPA: 3.26, sGPA: 3.06
MCAT: 516

Desired school traits:
- Recorded lectures and flexible attendance
- No dress code
- Cost of tuition is not a concern, but lower cost of living would be beneficial
- Supportive of the board exam process (time set aside in the curriculum for studying, practice exam options, etc.)
- A good mentorship program with faculty that are dedicated to student success

Please let me know your thoughts and if I should address any other specific traits for this thread. I think it goes without saying that I'm looking for a school that has a good reputation in terms of test scores and match rates.

Members don't see this ad.

CCOM - PCOM - KCU - DMU - Western - NSU are in my opinion the best ones. Honestly do your research on all of them, watch youtube videos to get a vibe for their day to day life there and only apply to ones you would be happy going too.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are fine with what I bolded below, CCOM fits all your desired traits. Your MCAT fits with other students at CCOM.

Desired school traits:
All classes, but pharm are recorded.
- No dress code
Just scrubs for OMM and physical exam class.
- Cost of tuition is not a concern, but lower cost of living would be beneficial
See above.
- Supportive of the board exam process (time set aside in the curriculum for studying, practice exam options, etc.)
5 weeks. UWorld subscription. COMSAE D required before actual board exam.
All faculty have an open door policy and responsive to any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM - PCOM - KCU - DMU - Western - NSU are in my opinion the best ones. Honestly do your research on all of them, watch youtube videos to get a vibe for their day to day life there and only apply to ones you would be happy going too.
PCOM does not have dedicated study time for boards. They wouldn't even tell us their COMLEX 1 pass rates at the interview.

PCOM does not have dedicated study time for boards. They wouldn't even tell us their COMLEX 1 pass rates at the interview.

PCOM-PA has a month of dedicated time for board review. I think GA-PCOM might be different.

I am working to narrow down which DO schools I should apply to this cycle (if I don't make it off the waitlist) and figured making a post would be a good place to start my research efforts. Here are my basic stats and what I'm looking for in a school:

cGPA: 3.26, sGPA: 3.06
MCAT: 516

Desired school traits:
- No dress code

Please let me know your thoughts and if I should address any other specific traits for this thread. I think it goes without saying that I'm looking for a school that has a good reputation in terms of test scores and match rates.
With your GPAs, I don't think you have much luxury of choosing which schools to pick. I suggest applying broadly, especially targeting the newest schools.

Omit the Touros, KCU, LUCOM, CUSOM, BCOM, PCOM, Nova, Western, CCOM.

With your GPAs, I don't think you have much luxury of choosing which schools to pick. I suggest applying broadly, especially targeting the newest schools.

Omit the Touros, KCU, LUCOM, CUSOM, BCOM, PCOM, Nova, Western, CCOM.

Are you recommending I omit all those schools listed or just the Touros?

Marian university was an awesome program

They may have a shot at KCU. Your money if you want to try. Your sGPA is below their screen but I've heard that two out of three can get you by it, your high MCAT might help

Second the above. There are several people who got past KCU's >3.25 GPA screen because of a high MCAT. If you really like the school and money isn't tight, it might be worth throwing in an app.

Second the above. There are several people who got past KCU's >3.25 GPA screen because of a high MCAT. If you really like the school and money isn't tight, it might be worth throwing in an app.
Yep. I have a 3.4 sGPA 505 MCAT and 3.1 cGPA. Applied to KCU and was not autoscreened.

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys! I'm honestly willing to apply to some schools that I may not have a great chance of getting accepted at if they have what I'm looking for. I'm mostly trying avoid school climates like LUCOM.

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys! I'm honestly willing to apply to some schools that I may not have a great chance of getting accepted at if they have what I'm looking for. I'm mostly trying avoid school climates like LUCOM.
With your MCAT and if your gpa has an upward trend my opinion would be that you should apply to schools that are closest to your gpa in acceptances but also include numerous reaches and (controversial opinion) state MD. You hopefully only apply once, might as well potentially waste a little money to leave it all on the table.

With your MCAT and if your gpa has an upward trend my opinion would be that you should apply to schools that are closest to your gpa in acceptances but also include numerous reaches and (controversial opinion) state MD. You hopefully only apply once, might as well potentially waste a little money to leave it all on the table.

I will definitely be applying to ~15-20 MD schools as well, just didn't know as much about DO options so I was looking for suggestions. UW is my state school and I had an interview there this past cycle so I will definitely be applying again.

I will definitely be applying to ~15-20 MD schools as well, just didn't know as much about DO options so I was looking for suggestions. UW is my state school and I had an interview there this past cycle so I will definitely be applying again.
Oh that's great. My understanding is that they like re-applicants more than other schools. Be sure to ask them for feedback too. Best of luck.

If money isn't tight throw Oklahoma State and app. We are known to take high MCAT OOS people (even with lower GPA) in order to supplement the lower MCATs of some of the IS people.

Oh that's great. My understanding is that they like re-applicants more than other schools. Be sure to ask them for feedback too. Best of luck.
Thank you :) Glad to hear they like re-applicants. I absolutely requested a feedback appointment - it was really helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I have to disagree with Goro and say to throw Touro CA and Touro Middletown some love. Touro Middletown definitely looks at applications holistically!

I have to disagree with Goro and say to throw Touro CA and Touro Middletown some love. Touro Middletown definitely looks at applications holistically!
Bold move, I'll do some research.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile